Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:55 AM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation
Florida Frenzy 7.0 - Nov. 9

For the June 2014 Tournament in Gainesville, click here.

11/4/2013 Update
:
Location: Coliseum of Comics in the Fashion Square Mall! Please say if you will be attending if you have not already. See you there!

----------------
Hey Florida HeroScapers! Come check out:

Florida Frenzy 7.0 -- Lucky 7's!

Date: Saturday, November 9th, 2013

Location venue:
Coliseum of Comics -- Fashion Square Mall
3201 E. Colonial Drive, M-11
Orlando, FL 32803
407-228-1210
Spoiler Alert!

Tournament Format:
-No Marvel allowed, official figures only
-Point value: 700 points
-Figure limit of 17 (still with 24 space start zone)
-Strength of Schedule (S.o.S.) penalty of -1 for each squad over x3 (but still allowed).
- S.o.S. is first tie-breaker, then head-to head
-Optional entry fee can be either: one HeroScape related prize; other game-related prize; $10; or free but forfeit ability to win a prize
-Prizes include a new Castle Set courtesy of HeroScapers.com, an exclusive C3V custom, and $50

Schedule:
-10am store opens -- setup begins around 10:20am
-Round 1 starts 11:15am (but late-comers will be accommodated)
-5 Swiss Rounds and Finals, with a lunch break.
-Cleanup and prizes

Maps:
Unfinished Business - 7/3/13 - .hsc by Heroscaper2010?
Requires: 1 RotV and 1 FotA (no wall walks)

Map: Steaming Bridge
Author: Longy418
requirements: 1 RotV, 1 VW, 1 RttFF.

Cloak and Dagger* (2 DD + 1 TT) - 26.3" x 31.5"
by GameBear

*pit trap/light snow/slippery ice rules apply

Map: Zephyr by Robber
Requirements: 1 BftU, 1 SotM, 1 TJ

Glyphs:
2 random glyphs per map from a pool of 10:
Spoiler Alert!

Antendees:
BurnyFlame +1
BuddyLee
GGGames
nicktheant
randomskyfears +1?
Zealot
Novelist432 +2-6?
Smithy Winfred + 2-3?
beholderthedm?
Dan J.?
Calim?

Last edited by BurnyFlame; June 23rd, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Florida Frenzy 7.0 - NHSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Location, maps, army rules, etc. to be decided as the tournament gets closer -- but feel free to post suggestions now!
Could I suggest using:

Unfinished Business - 7/3/13 - .hsc
Requires: 1 RotV and 1 FotA (no wall walks)

We used it at our latest PA tourney and it played well.
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM

beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker

I don't know about Orlando, but the further north you go, the more likely I am to attend. Even in Orlando I might be there visiting with my friends for the weekend or something. Anyway, a few suggestions:

You mentioned giving certain figures a little bonus for 6.5 but it was too last minute. I think we should help out double spaced figures without bonding, range, reach, or flying. I don't think any such figures are rated A- or better and all of these figures are hard to field in tourneys.

Possibly smaller point armies (or fewer but longer rounds) - our tourney went late and still there was time pressure most every game. Or instead of smaller point armies, maybe restrict armies to 16 figures or something.

Trades

WoW customs - I'd love to get some awesome looking WoW minis on my Heroscape maps. Please lend me your expert advice.

My travel blog
Old July 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beholderthedm View Post
I don't know about Orlando, but the further north you go, the more likely I am to attend. Even in Orlando I might be there visiting with my friends for the weekend or something. Anyway, a few suggestions:

You mentioned giving certain figures a little bonus for 6.5 but it was too last minute. I think we should help out double spaced figures without bonding, range, reach, or flying. I don't think any such figures are rated A- or better and all of these figures are hard to field in tourneys.

Possibly smaller point armies (or fewer but longer rounds) - our tourney went late and still there was time pressure most every game. Or instead of smaller point armies, maybe restrict armies to 16 figures or something.
I think I would like the NHSD tournament to be in Gainesville again -- hopefully that is far north enough for you.

And I like your idea -- my friend really wants to use Dund, so giving those select double-spaced figures a bonus could work.

We'll also be doing under 500 points (I am thinking ~470). We could even do a draft or some other format (teams, reverse-the-whip, etc.) if everyone wants that.
Old July 10th, 2013, 04:34 PM

Dan J. is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I am new to this community and just wanted to say to all who were at the last tournament thank you for welcoming me in.

As for the next tourney I would prefer it to be at cool stuff again. Simply because they are added to the prize pool and were very accommodating to us.
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!

Might I suggest 700 points with at least 1 Unique hero of 180 points or more.

Just a thought.

Buddy Lee

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker
Old August 5th, 2013, 10:18 PM

Quick Update: I got an e-mail from the Cool Stuff Games manager and they loved having us last time and want us to come back, and likely can provide more prize support. Besides the two stores in the Orlando area, I just learned there is a Jacksonville store. Has anyone been there before? Does Jacksonville work as a location for everyone? Nothing final, just trying to gather info on the idea.

-----------------

Not a bad suggestion, Buddy Lee, especially since we are prohibiting Marvel. What if we cut that in half and do "(At least) 350 points have to be Heroes?"

Actually, at least one other restriction is coming back for the sake of time (and annoyingness), -- Squads will be limited to multiples of 3 max. I am not sure if the 4th squad will simply be prohibited entirely, or if we'll do a Strength-of-Schedule (tie-breaker) penalty, but for sure it won't be a free-for-all again.

Another way to restrict it is in the Starting Zones -- we could limit them to 12 or 16 or something. Do you guys favor these ideas?
Old August 6th, 2013, 12:33 AM

beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker beholderthedm knows what's in an order marker

I like restricting the number of figures, but not the starting zone size. No reason to punish the cavalry and the hounds even more than they already are. So 700 points and 16 figures could be cool. But 16 starting zone spaces would not be as cool.

Expanding on my suggestion to help double spaced figures - let's give them all reach 1 (all the ones that don't have range or flying or whatever).

Because last time the guy playing Krug suffered when his opponent placed his figures in such a way that Krug could never ever reach them - I was thinking that it must take a lot of fun out of the game if your melee figure has no chance of ever getting adjacent to an enemy because of map, figure placement, and the double base.

I know that two tournaments ago I also had a lot of trouble with my double spaced melee figures so I made a point not to play any last time around.

For location, Jacksonville is fine, Gainesville is probably, Orlando is maybe. I can find space for us in Tallahassee, but not prize support.

Trades

WoW customs - I'd love to get some awesome looking WoW minis on my Heroscape maps. Please lend me your expert advice.

My travel blog
Old August 6th, 2013, 01:15 AM

nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beholderthedm View Post
Expanding on my suggestion to help double spaced figures - let's give them all reach 1 (all the ones that don't have range or flying or whatever).

Because last time the guy playing Krug suffered when his opponent placed his figures in such a way that Krug could never ever reach them - I was thinking that it must take a lot of fun out of the game if your melee figure has no chance of ever getting adjacent to an enemy because of map, figure placement, and the double base.

I know that two tournaments ago I also had a lot of trouble with my double spaced melee figures so I made a point not to play any last time around.

For location, Jacksonville is fine, Gainesville is probably, Orlando is maybe. I can find space for us in Tallahassee, but not prize support.
I think that map choice can fix the issues for double spaced figures. BOV maps are usual pretty good at that. As long as there isn't too steep of elevation changes, maps are usual fine for melee double spaces. On that note, I felt the castle map from last tournament was a poor choice. The castle gave ranged and flying figures way too much control. I felt dirty dropping my silver surfer up there picking off anyone that came close.

I live right outside of Jacksonville, and would be happy to have a tournament at their new location. I've never been there, but I could probably go check it out. However, I would be happy to have the tournament at one of other locations as well. I do prefer Cool Stuff though for the prize support.

Want to Re-base Your DnD Figures? Click here.
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby! Buddy Lee rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Quick Update: I got an e-mail from the Cool Stuff Games manager and they loved having us last time and want us to come back, and likely can provide more prize support. Besides the two stores in the Orlando area, I just learned there is a Jacksonville store. Has anyone been there before? Does Jacksonville work as a location for everyone? Nothing final, just trying to gather info on the idea.

-----------------

Not a bad suggestion, Buddy Lee, especially since we are prohibiting Marvel. What if we cut that in half and do "(At least) 350 points have to be Heroes?"

Actually, at least one other restriction is coming back for the sake of time (and annoyingness), -- Squads will be limited to multiples of 3 max. I am not sure if the 4th squad will simply be prohibited entirely, or if we'll do a Strength-of-Schedule (tie-breaker) penalty, but for sure it won't be a free-for-all again.

Another way to restrict it is in the Starting Zones -- we could limit them to 12 or 16 or something. Do you guys favor these ideas?

"Out of all the ridiculous religion stories...the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah, there's this big, giant universe...and we're all just here, just 'cuz. Just 'cuz." - Trey Parker

Last edited by Buddy Lee; August 13th, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Gun Totin' Nutjob

Cant seem to edit the previous post.

So here are my thoughts.

1) Jacksonville is fine by me.

2) Where doe it state Marvel is prohibited. This is my preference, but it is not stated.

3) 350 seems a bit high. 250 seems better.

4) I think the hero requirements listed above would resolve this.

5) Limiting the number of figures is fine, but starting zones should stay at 24 hexes. Otherwise you risk confusion in maps with 24 starting hexes.

Buddy Lee

Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:05 PM

OK, I like the idea of limiting the number of figures to 17 (with 24 space start zones as usual) but keeping the point value 700.

I too would prefer Cool Stuff for the support they provide -- Jacksonvillians, please keep us informed if you further check with the store.

And I am looking for map suggestions now -- please pick some you like!

And Buddy Lee, Marvel is prohibited!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day