Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 30th, 2023, 01:24 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Captain Xue Testing - Latest News!

Well met!

Building an army. Weighing Pirate and Hero synergies versus terrain advantaged units within the exact 12 figure requirement has been challenging. Wondering what you all would do . . .

For my March Hosting:

Testing . . . Testing . . .

CAPTAIN XUE
General: Vydar
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Bold, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 5, Range 7, Attack 3, Defense 3

CAPTAIN’S PREROGATIVE
When revealing a numbered Order Marker on Captain Xue’s Car͏͏d, you may take a turn with Captain Xue or any Uncommon or Unique Hero you control. Any figure that is taking a turn with Captain’s Prerogative must be within clear sight of Captain Xue before moving.

DOUBLE ATTACK
After attacking normally, you may attack 1 additional time.

SOLAR WIND SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 8, Attack 3
After moving and attacking normally, reveal the “X” Order Marker on Captain Xue’s Car͏͏d. Choose a figure within 8 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue to attack. All figures adjacent to that figure are also affected. Roll defense dice separately.

125 points

The Dirty Dozen Freeze!

Map. Mt. Thaelink’s Saddle V.2 by Nomad. Replace Power Glyphs with Brandar’s Chests.

Blizzard Conditions. Heavy Snow and Slippery Ice rules in effect.

Armies. Team game. 600 points/player. Classic, AoA, C3V, SoV, allowed; no Marvel. Each army must have exactly 12 figures.

Victory Conditions. After 10 Rounds, The team with the most Victory Points (VPs) wins. VPs awarded as follows:

1 VP for each Brandar’s Chest in your Start Zone. It need not be in your possession, but must not be in an opponent’s.

3 VPs for the most figures killed by a single player, as opposed to an entire team.

2 VPs for the second most figures killed by a single player.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 16th, 2024 at 05:29 PM.
Old December 30th, 2023, 06:06 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Captain Xue Test on Mt. Thaelunk

Given the recent allegations against Renegade, I would wait to playtest with AoA units if that's the intended synergy for the card. It seems like they may have scrapped the original AoA designs. I like the victory points. Will 12 figures exactly make it difficult to construct armies though? A narrow range like 11-13 might make things just a little easier.
Old December 30th, 2023, 06:28 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks
Well met!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy266 View Post
Given the recent allegations against Renegade, I would wait to playtest with AoA units if that's the intended synergy for the card. It seems like they may have scrapped the original AoA designs. I like the victory points. Will 12 figures exactly make it difficult to construct armies though? A narrow range like 11-13 might make things just a little easier.
No idea about the allegations to which you refer, but I think the Hero synergies are more important in this context. 12 figures exactly is vital for this scenario, and the difficulty in army building is part of it. The build I tentatively came up with has as its only Pirates the Dreadnaughts of Tortuga. Without them, I’ll go with:

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by kolakoski; December 31st, 2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 08:49 AM

Well met!

Added language limiting power tp clear sight, but wondering if it is necessary, given the existence of radio.

Any figure that is taking a turn with Captain’s Prerogative must be within clear sight of Captain Xue before moving.

Old January 3rd, 2024, 10:32 AM

Well met!

Latest version:

CAPTAIN XUE
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Inspiring, Medium 5

CAPTAIN’S PREROGATIVE
When revealing a numbered Order Marker on Captain Xue’s Car͏͏d, you may take a turn with Captain Xue or any Uncommon or Unique Hero you control within 8 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

DOUBLE ATTACK
After attacking normally, you may attack 1 additional time.

TAIYANGFENG SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 8, Attack 3
After moving and attacking normally, you may reveal the “X” Order Marker on Captain Xue’s Car͏͏d. Choose a figure to attack. All figures adjacent to that figure are also affected. Roll defense dice separately.

125 points

Issues?

P.S.: How does Inspiring grab you?

Last edited by kolakoski; January 3rd, 2024 at 04:32 PM.
Old January 8th, 2024, 08:45 AM

Re: Captain Xue Testing

Well met!

Latest version being tested on January 17th!

CAPTAIN XUE
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Tricky, Medium 5

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 20 or higher, that figure rolls one automatic skull or shield, respectively. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.
TAIYANGFENG SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 8, Attack 3
After attacking normally, Captain Xue may attack with Taiyangfeng Special Attack. Choose a figure to attack. All figures adjacent to that figure are affected. Roll defense dice separately.

125 points

Old January 8th, 2024, 11:17 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: Captain Xue Testing. . .

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old January 9th, 2024, 09:32 AM

Well met!

Thanks to mac122, we have a card!

Old January 11th, 2024, 12:06 PM

Well met!

On 1/17, the Gang will be playing chas' themed 600 point game. We'll probably play two. The Themes:

Spies, Assasins, Agents, Martial Artists (including Ninjas)
Fliers
Undead/Spirits/Elementals
Robots/Cyborgs/Constructs
Soldiers, Warriors and Their Leaders
Large and Huge figures and their bonding buddies
Women Only
Special Movement Abilities including Teleporters (not Fliers)

I've created the following armies for it:

Women Only
150 WoA x 3
140 Eltahale
125 Captain Xue
60 Elaria the Pale
35 Seleena
600 points, 13 spaces

200 Romans x 4
125 Captain Xue
120 Venoc Warlord
100 Marcus
50 Me-Burq-Sa
595 points, 21 spaces

Last edited by kolakoski; January 11th, 2024 at 09:55 PM.
Old January 12th, 2024, 06:31 PM

Well met!

Super excited to be testing Captain Xue at our next Gang gathering on January 17th. In anticipation of playing two games, I'll be fielding the following two armies in a 600 point, themed scenario of chas' design:

Women Only
150 WoA x 3
140 Eltahale
125 Captain Xue
60 Elaria the Pale
35 Seleena
600 points, 13 spaces

200 Romans x 4
125 Captain Xue
120 Venoc Warlord
100 Marcus
50 Me-Burq-Sa
595 points, 21 spaces

We'll be looking at how she plays, how much tweaking, if any, Captain Xue's Edge might merit, and, of course, what would be the best price for her. I'm also wondering if eschewing Elaria the Pale with her is ever a good idea, but the second army's theme requires it. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

We will be modifying Captain Xue's Edge as follows:

CAPTAIN XUE’S EDGE
When a figure you control rolls attack or defense dice for or against a normal attack against an adjacent figure, roll a 20-sided die. On a roll of 20 or higher, that figure adds 1 automatic skull or shield to whatever is rolled. Add 3 to the roll if that figure is Captain Xue or within 6 clear sight spaces of Captain Xue.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 13th, 2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old January 13th, 2024, 07:43 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

"And now for something completely different!"
--Monty Python

Interesting scenario for March. Just when I think we've tried it all over the last 17 years or so, someone comes up with something Completely Different.

Got a link to the map? Can others also use Captain Xue, or would you rather not?

(When you changed the name of her first power, I thought I might have to disqualify her from my game next week. But as long as that first power benefits an ally/crew who is a Warrior or Soldier, I'll allow her in the scenario theme as a 'Leader' of Soldiers/Warriors).
Old January 13th, 2024, 07:55 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

ryguy266,

What's the deal with Renegade you mention? (We don't do social media around here). Is it only that they are changing the AOA cards, or something else too?

We've been using AOA figures for months now, in the versions by Anitar (and a few by me)--see my signature thread. So allowing them is just an NYCG4 convention for our scenarios these days.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion