Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2010-09-02

Glad to see the adventurers win the day.
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2010-09-02

Having just returned from Florida Frenzy 4.0, in Gainseville, FL, I want to share my results while they are still somewhat fresh in my mind.

To quickly recap the tournament rules: 400 point armies, SoS hits for use of more than 3 of the same squads, or A+ units, and random glyphs to be chosen before each match from a pre-determined pool.

I have been planning 400 point builds for the past few weeks, and I was having trouble in deciding what to bring. My three finalists:
  1. Initially, I wanted to field the Werewolf lord/Badru Wolf Core, as it is a super-fun build that can give bonding heroes a very hard time. However, at 400 points, I was having trouble choosing 100 point 'filler'--in the sense that the filler acts as a separate attack wave (either preemptively of the Wolf Core, or as game closers, mopping up what was left). In the end, the best that I could come up with that involved 300 points of wolves was MW/Tarn Vikings: the MW are possibly the best 50 point investment out there, and the Tarn have a hardy defense of 4, as well as the potential to charge across the map in one turn, capturing glyphs and messing with the enemy.
  2. I also contemplated a Kurrok build, fielding 7 FEs and 1 WE(all of the maps included water tiles, so the WE would give me a solid, ranged option). However, I kept having doubts with this build, as I was worried about the Nilrend glyph in the glyph pool: one successful negation roll, and this army is pretty much done.
  3. I love playing the PKs, and I was fairly confident in using them. With that in mind, I worked on a build that utilized their skill set. 3 squads of PKs, with 2 squads of Axegrinders (for the large/Huge units that I suspected would show up at the tournament), and the MW adding a bit of range. Plus, everything in the army focuses on mobility (6 move for everything, including Stealth Flying for the PKs). No heroes, so I would not have to worry about contesting Hero Glyphs.
The morning before I left for Gainesville, I ended up rolling a 20-sider to determine which army to bring: it ended up being the PK/Axegrinder/MW build, which was quickly packed up for travel.

The tournament was held at a Books A Million chain store, close to the University of Florida campus. As it was, it turned out to be a perfect location: we had access to about 8 sets of 2-seater tables, the area was secluded, and there was a coffee shop about 10 feet from the tables (the barkeep ran out several free samples of various caffeine concoctions, which was an added bonus). In short, it was a great location for a tournament.

On to my games:

Game 1
VS Carina (randomskyfear's GF; not sure if she has a Heroscapers.com handle?), who fielded Q9, Microcorpx2, and Marcu, on If you Can't take the Heat. This map was a perfect match for Carina's Microcorp Agents, and it turned out to be an extremely close game. Carina opened up with Q9, and I quickly charged him with PKs in order to hopefully lock him down and then move up my dwarves (against ranged specials, the PKs have the same defense as dwarves with Fearless Advantage, so I took advantage of their flying to bypass the wicked terrain and swarm the big guy). Carina wasn't having it, and she mowed down my knights...But not before one of them landed 2 wounds on the soulborg. The Microcorp stepped up and spread out, and then finished off the rest of the PKs.

The dwarves were moving up, and the MW landed several attacks on the agents. Carina had about 5 successful blocks with Stealth Armor, and Q9 was able to stave off several engagements with swarming dwarves. With only a few dwarves left, a lone MW was able to drop a two wound hit from height on Q9, and it was down to a squad of Microcorp and
Marcu. By the time I finished off the resilient agents, I only had 2 dwarves left against Marcu. Marcu was able to kill one of the dwarves, and I moved the last dwarf around the board, avoiding Marcu, until I was able to take advantage of a failed Eternal Hatred roll and deposit Marcu in a lava field. At this point, our game was nearing the 55 minute mark, and there was a palpable taste of anticipation in the air as Carina attempted to roll a 20 for Marcu's survival. Luckily for me, she failed the roll, and I was left with the victory, with only one dwarf left standing. A great game and a great introduction to the tourney scene!

1-0

Game 2

I squared up against Juniour on Shadow Crossing. JR was fielding 3 Knights of Weston, Gilbert, and Thorgrimm. It started out as a knight duel, with my PK's quickly taking the bridge and nearby height. JR used Jandar's Dispatch to quickly move up reinforcements (he was averaging 2-3 moves each turn). Despite inflicting 4 early knight casualties (and a couple of wounds on Gilbert), the knights defense proved too much, and they methodically punched through my units. I ended up with the MW making a last-ditch stand on nearby height, but the knights quickly finished them off. In the end, I was only able to take out 6 knights. It was a tough match for my heroless army, and a well-earned victory for Juniour.

1-1

Game 3

VS nicktheant, who was fielding Nilfheim, stingersx3, Marcu, and Isamu, on Hard Eight v4. I was initially optimistic about this match, as my dwarves and PKs are a good counter to nick's army. I decided on opening up with the speedy PKs to track down glyphs and quickly reach nick's forces. In retrospect, it was an unsound move; I should have charged the dwarves out first, saving the PKs to deal with the slower stingers. As it stood, Nick led with a suicide Nilfhiem, who quickly blasted through my PKs. I was able to grab the nearest glyph, (Nick, grabbed a +1 Defense Brooch of Shielding for Nilfheim), which turned out to be the Nilrend. I successfully negated Nilfheim, which was a huge advantage, as it limited Nil to one attack a turn. At this point, I should have tied down the 4-wound Nil with a couple of figures, and then charged everything on the OM-less Stingers. However, I made the mistake of surrounding Nil with axegrinders, and the dragon king killed 3 of them before succumbing to their sharp little axes. Nick quickly moved up his Stingers on road tiles, finding strategic locations that were hard for me to reach; he managed to kill 3 of 4 dwarves in one turn, which left me with essentially 3 marro warriors and a lone PK. I was able to kill 6 stingers (nicktheant might have to refresh my memory/notes on this point), but the rest of my army was eradicated in the process.

It was a fun match and a well-earned victory for Nick. He ended up cruising undefeated in the tournament and taking first place.

1-2

Game 4

VS Kenn (heroscapers.com handle?) on Reclamation Plant B; Kenn was fielding Kaemon Awa, Airborne Elite, and Drake v2. With 2 strong heroes, and a timely AE drop, Kenn was forsaking the safety in numbers and planning on striking hard and fast, hopefully decimating my clogged start zone in the process. Kenn landed a round 1 AE drop, and he placed them within striking distance of my army. Rather than using grenades, he took 4 well-aimed shots at my lead units...But I was fortunate enough to block all attacks, with the help of Insubstantial and some solid defensive rolls. From here on out, it was a PK assault: they swarmed the AEs, killing 3 of them in the first round (the fourth managed to lob a grenade in my start zone, but I was able to block all of the attacks). The PKs revealed the Valda glyph and swarmed both of Kenn's heroes. Kenn still put up a fight and took out 5 PK's, but the fast-paced game was over in about 15 minutes. It was a quick game, but one filled with tension and excitement.

2-2

Game 5

VS randomskyfears on The Dead Torch; randomskyfears was fielding zombies x5, MW, and MBS. This game turned out to be as close as my first game, and it was also one of the most entertaining of the day. Randomsky dumped all OMs on the zombies and slowly charged them across the map. I first started running and gunning with the MW to safely reduce their numbers, and I then moved up the mobile PKs to carpetbomb them with neon green from height. Despite having him down to 4 zombies, he was able to slowly replenish his zombies (unfortunately, we forgot that the undead PKs cannot become zombies; however, the dwarves would have provided his horde with plenty of, well, cold bodies, as it was).

While he was mowing down my dwarves (despite a couple of dwarves and a lone MW that simply refused to be converted), I ended up abandoning the swelling horde and instead dive-bombed his OM-less start zone with PKs, removing the MWs and MBS. Once the ranged threats were out of the way, I used my remaining PKs to pick away at zombies from height. I ended up settling them on the mid-ground castle, but the zombies slowly, methodically, punched up the walls. With only 2 PKs left, I moved them to the 2 top rungs on the tall, single spire on the top of the castle's elevated platform. That way, he could only attack each PK with one zombie at a time, and I could defend with 5 (and attack with 4). This proved to be a tactically sound, if unorthodox move, and I was able to destroy all of his zombies (6-7 of them, if I recall; I had some great defense rolls against 2 skulls). We got quite a laugh out of this, and it was a great game to end a day of gaming on.

Final Result: 3-2

I was able to clinch 5th place, as well as the strongest SoS, and I was rewarded with two booster packs (Rats and Warriors, and Snipers and Vipers). Thanks to BurnyFlame for organizing a fun tournament!

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; December 6th, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Added link to Final Standings.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation
Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2010-10-24

Excellent report, Filthy. You almost made it to the semi-finals, tying Buddy Lee in wins (2-2) and S.O.S. (10), but he beat you on Losing Points, 370 to 285 (although I think you may have written down your LP too low according to your report).

Driving 300 miles was really something. If there is any one else in your area who wants to play, make sure to bring them along next time, too. Thanks for attending!
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2010-10-24

I have been intrigued with the soon-to-be-released Death Knights (and with the latest news from WOTC, one of the few units that Valkrill will wield, apparently), so we gave them a spin in a recent 500 point battle (DKs proxies appropriately enough by the PKs). Additionally, due to a recent post in regards to the DKs being destroyed by Zelrig, I wanted to see how the 5 defense would hold up against Majestic Fires.

Army 1:
Zelrig, Greenscales x2, Black Wyrmlings x2, 1 Red Wyrmling

Army 2:
Taelord, Marcu, Death Knights x 5 (proxied by PKs and 1 Shade)

The battlefield, featuring initial troop placement:

A short map, with plenty of LoS blockers and some mixed-in elevation and shadow tiles.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; January 31st, 2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: I forgot about Taelord's Stealth Flying, which could have kept him alive longer.
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:39 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation
Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2010-11-04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown
More engagement as I bring Taelord into the attack. At this point, losing the DKs means another painful turn of bringing up reinforcements. I take a chance with a disengagement (no wound) to add Taelord's third attack to the mix. Another knight joins the fray, but no wounds produced, as the Dragon King gives his nearby Greenscales a much-needed boost.
I believe Taelord has "Stealth Flying" (sort of), so he should not take leaving engagements anyway. You used him well, but that power makes him even better! Nice report and pictures.
Old November 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2010-11-04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown
More engagement as I bring Taelord into the attack. At this point, losing the DKs means another painful turn of bringing up reinforcements. I take a chance with a disengagement (no wound) to add Taelord's third attack to the mix. Another knight joins the fray, but no wounds produced, as the Dragon King gives his nearby Greenscales a much-needed boost.
I believe Taelord has "Stealth Flying" (sort of), so he should not take leaving engagements anyway. You used him well, but that power makes him even better! Nice report and pictures.
Right you are, Burny, thanks. I must admit that I forgot about his Stealth Flying, V 1.0, in the heat of the battle. He proved his worth with the DKs, but I am looking forward to giving them a spin with Dumutef/Hawthorne; can their extra 'firepower' offset Taelord's boost? We shall see...
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2010-12-13

More games with Priscus over the weekend.

Death Knight vs Priscus, Gladiator Hero

Gladiators:
Priscus 110
Crixus 90
Capuans x4 280
Marcu 20
500 points, 15 spaces

VS

Taelord 180
Death Knights x3 180
Dumutef x3 75
MW 50
Isamu 10
495 points, 18 spaces

Map: Blind Hill by BiggaBullfrog

I wanted to try the gladiators on a larger map, and Blind Hill fit the bill; the steep, central hill meant that the 5-move gladiators would need to stick to the roads, and the Dumutef opposition would add some nice road blocks. The first turn sends Marcu to grab a glyph (Wind), while Pricus leads the gladiators up the road. Taelord advances up the hill, while the Marro Warriors move up to start picking away at the gladiators. in the absence of rats and other screens, I generally open up with Crixus and save Priscus for mid-game cheerleading; however, I wanted to give Priscus a run up front, and I must admit that he performed admirably. He took a couple of wounds approaching the top, but he was able to engage multiple foes (4 defense keeps him alive) and give the gladiators a chance to bring up reinforcements. His cheerleading ability kept the momentum going, as 4-attack gladiators were able to keep the Knights' numbers thinned out enough. I was a bit concerned with the 3-defense Gladiators, but I generally forsook one attack each turn to move up a fresh Capuan from my start zone: this further cements the choice of Priscus over Spartacus in this matchup, as the extra 90 points can be spent on another squad of Capuans...And I needed them.

Priscus fell mid-game, but he took out 3 MW and 3 Death Knights (roughly 126 points, plus his indirect assists via Taste of Freedom), while allowing the mini-inspired Capuans to kill 1 Knight, 1 Dumutef, and land 4 wounds on Taelord. The remaining gladiators were able to mop up the remaining forces, although 3/3 gladiators fell easily enough to Isamu and a lone, stubborn Dumutef.

The gladiators win, with Crixus (with 4 wounds) and Marcus (with 3 wounds, incurred during Round 1 by MW) left to claim victory.

Sound strategy generally means that one should eliminate the hub of the enemy: in this case, it was the Death Knights, as most of the OMs were on their cards. I engaged the DKs whenever possible, and their defense was taken down by the mini-inspired Capuans...Which proved to be another sound move, as Crixus would have been able to kill a DK a turn, but the uninspired Capuans, without height, would have been hard-pressed to do so.

Taelord-backed Knights and Dumutef cut though Capuans with 2-3 skulls vs 0 -1 shield, on average; I doubt that Spartacus-inspired Caps would have fared much better, and the extra squad really seemed to make all of the difference. At it stands, I prefer this version of the Steamroller over the Spartacus version, at least in this matchup. With the Classic Steamroller (Spartacus, Crixus, Caps x3), one is inclined to nurse Spartacus in the start zone; with Priscus, one needs to keep him within 3 spaces of Caps in order for them to utilize his cheerleading. So, a more aggressive approach is required, as one should focus on taking out strategically-placed targets first. With the traditional Steamroller, one tends to go for the closest target (first come, first killed); with the Priscus version, a bit more finesse is required to make it work...But it does appear to work.

Yet more games to come (both with Priscus and the Death Knights--I am digging the Taelord-backed Dumutef and DKs!).
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2011-02-08

I have been playing a lot of game with the Wolves of Badru, and I generally commit a fair number of games to my camera for later review. The following report made the cut.

Map: Turret Rocks
Team 1: Atlaga, Minions x2, Arrow Gruts x 3, Swog Riders x2, Marcu
500 points, 21 spaces

Team 2: Werewolf Lord, Badru x3, Raelin SOTM
500 points, 12 spaces

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; May 6th, 2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: 3 Bad Badru!
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Nice report, Filthy! It's so refreshing to read some battle reports that aren't tourney armies every now and then (though I really like those, too...)

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:19 PM

brendrizzle Woo who?

Nicely organized and well told. I was entertained!
Old June 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Florida Frenzy 4.5 Battle Report

To recap, the tournament consisted of 470 points, with any ONE 100 point hero getting 1 extra defense die, Marvel allowed, and SoS hits for any ability used with bonding.

Army:
I have been wanting to use the Horned Skull Brutes/Goblin Cutters, so I set about play testing a variety different combinations. I also wanted to bring a ranged special attack along in the event of rats or opposing special attackers, so Heirloom fit the bill nicely at 90 points; plus, Force Orb special attack can target any figures that cluster around a cheerleader (such as Captain America, who was sure to make an appearance).

Total build:

Brutes x 3 225
Cutters x3 150
Heirloom 90
22 spaces, 465 points

Game 1
VS Dave (GGGgames)
Map Round the Outside by Killometer

Dave was running a Marvel hodge-podge with some firepower to boot: Captain America, Stingers x 2, Agent Carr (taking advantage of the +1 Defense boost), and Guilty. Of all the Marvel heroes, I feared the old Soldier the most, as his Shield Toss denies the Cutters' Scurry, and it can also punch through the defense of the Brutes. Unfortunately, there were at leaset 3 builds in the tourney featuring the Captain (more on that later). Dave and I squared off, with him leading off with Stingers and the Captain. I moved up Heirloom to grab a treasure glyph via Mage Hand (it was an attack glyph), and followed up with a Force Orb attack on a Captain cluster...Resulting in a couple of dead stingers. The Cutters moved out next, as Dave seemed to be intent on moving up his malicious Marro. I ended up trading 3 Cutters for 3 Stingers, moving up more Cutters in the process via Scurry.

I started moving up Brutes to mix it up with the Cutters, while Dave started dumping OMs on his Captain, taking out more Cutters and a Brute in the process. Heirloom finally dented the Captain with Force Orb, suffering a wound immediately afterwards. Counter Strike took its toll on my Brutes and Cutters, but I was finally able to finish off the Captain in Round 5. The Brutes were then able to weather some attacks from Carr, close and kill him, and then take out Guilty soon afterwards.

In the end, I was left with a squad of Cutters, 2 squads of Brutes, and a wounded Heirloom. As for the Captain, Counter Strike is TOUGH with any melee build. The Brutes have fair odds of avoiding Counter Strike with an unmodified attack; however, grabbing height is almost a necessity.

1-0

Game 2
VS Rennix
Map: Forgery by Game Bear

Rennix fielded a Special Attack-laden build: Q10, Cyprien, Sonya, and Kaemon Awa. Not a good army for the Brutes/Cutters duo, but the map featured plenty of road tiles and line of sight blockers which I used to advantage. Rennix won initiative (a recurring theme throughout the tourney; I think I won initiative maybe 5 times in all of my games) and moved up Cyprien to snatch a T glyph (disengage), while I moved out Heirloom and some Cutters to grab the remaining Glyph (Wind glyph--a great counter to Cyprien/Sonya, although Cyprien's new glyph helped to offset it a bit). I dumped OM 3 on Heirloom and managed to take out a lonely Sonya with a 3 skull Force Orb, definitely the start that I wanted!

I spent a few more OMs on the Cutters, taking advantage of their mobility to tie down Q10 and Cyprien as much as possible while I moved Heirloom and the Brutes; Cyprien got a few wounds from Cutters on height, but he quickly whittled down the damage with some tasty Goblin snack packs. Kaemon and Q10 punched some wounds into Heirloom, while I slowly moved up Brutes with Barge into Battle. The lava claimed my Goblin on the wind glyph, but luckily it also pushed a wound on the height-hunkered Q10. The big soulborg had a few more shots before falling, and I was able to lock Kaemon down with adjacent Cutters (and enticing Cyprien to stay put) until I could barge in with more Brutes.

On Round 7, I was able to take down Cyprien, and then take out Kaemon with a lucky Brute squad bashing. I lost all but 1 Cutter(they worked nicely as ugly rats, actually) a squad of Brutes, and Heirloom ended up with 3 wounds (he MIGHT have died this game; my notes are a bit hazy due to some friendly bantering and insult swapping), so Rennix extracted a pound of flesh and put up a fight over every hex of terrain (although, Kaemon flickered out like a chump ).

2-0

At this point, I was feeling good about the Brute/Cutter combo combined with Heirloom (who earned his points every game), as I faced two skilled opponents and managed to squeeze out victories against some tough builds.

Game 3
VS Mr Wookie
Map: Division by Kaiser Cat

MrWookie was sporting a husky build comprised of Venom, Zetacron, Stingers, Isamu, and an Iron Golem (adding +1 D to an already potent defense; in retrospect, I am a bit sketchy in regards to the points total of this build?). With a small map, there was sure to be carnage, so the plan was to move up Heirloom, snag a glyph and then attempt to bomb his start zone with explosive orbs. Unfortunately, Wookie must have been predicting this, because he loaded up OMs on Zetacron and sniped the warforged to dust within the first 2 turns.

I won initiative on Round 2, and moved up my Cutters, who were able to swarm Zeta and take him out with Mob Attack, leaving Wookie with no OMs for the remainder of the round (thanks, Wookie, for revealing your dead OMs ). I charged my goblins into his start zone, taking out 3 stingers in the process. Things were looking good for the Brute Squad! On the next round, Wookie tagged 2 cutters (Scurry denied him the opportunity to take out more than 1 a turn), while the cutter swarm landed 2 quick wounds on the stationary Golem...Things were looking even better, as I had Wookie's start zone flooded, allowing me some time to move up my Brutes for the kill.

At this stage in the game, lady luck left my side and swarmed to Wookie's waiting arms...In the form of a Marvel hero. Venom proceeded to dismantle my army, checking the Cutter tide, swinging in to crush lone Brutes (or web attack those that were adjacent to a Cutter), and avoiding death again and again. I was eventually able to land 4 wounds on the maniacal web slinger, but the 5th wound would just not come to fruition. My last Brute fell, and my final cutters, out of reach of Venom, made a desparate attempt to drop that final wound on the Golem in order to at least gain the kill points. However, Wookie's dice proved too resilient, and Venom swooped in to crush my last hope.

Nice win, Wookie, and way to keep your cool and rally for the victory.

2-1

Game 4
VS Randomskyfears
Map: Forgotten Highway by Retlaw

After saying a quick prayer to the dice gods, and taking a much needed margarita break, I squared off against Randomskyfears; both of us were 2 - 1, and a win was going to send one of us into the play-offs. Randomsky was sporting another nasty, Captain-backed build that had me mopping off sweat from my troubled brow: Captain America, Stingers x3, Marro Warriors (affectionately dubbed smurfs, due to their cool, blue paint job), and Marcu. Randomsky wasted no time in moving up captain-backed stingers, while I decided to take my chances with the Captain's shield and move up some cutters, losing 1 in the process. I started picking off some stingers with lone cutter charges, and then moved Brutes up, taking advantage of the jungle trees as much as possible. However, Randomsky was not having it, and he unleashed the Captain with a vengeance, easily killing 2 - 3 figures with each shield toss. The dice gods left the building, and my Brutes could not roll skulls (or shields) to save their lives. Luckily, Heirloom was able to force orb a couple of stingers and put some wounds on the captain before eventually succumbing to stinger blasts. When the dust cleared, the captain and 5 stingers lay dead...Along with the rest of my tattered army.

I would like to blame the loss on the dice, but great play on Random's part, mixed with some of my own mistakes, earned a telling victory for him. Afterwards, we discussed how leading off with Heirloom would have been a better move. Randomskyfears went on to win the tournament (and the $50 grand prize; see? The game does indeed pay! with a 5-1 record (if I am correct, the only loss involved losing Captain A to a dust-dealing Red Skull), using his Marro Warriors to pick away at Wookie's Golem and Marcu, Guevara-style, in an exciting final that had the crowd gasping and cheering.

Great game and tournament win, Randomsky!

2-2

Game 5
Pete (GGGames)
Map: Division by Kaiser Cat

Like myself, Pete was thirsty for a final win, and he definitely had the army and skill to do it: Thanos, Morsbane, and Isamu. Pete had wielded Morsbane to great effect in earlier games; luckily, my squad-heavy army did not fear his negation attempts (although he did end up negating Heirloom). As strong as Thanos is, the Brutes/Goblins offer some protection to his potent attacks: since he only wields a normal attack, slicing through cutters keeps a steady supply of their numbers moving up via Scurry; Brutes can also surround the marvel baddie, swapping out cutters for any damage received.

On to the game: Pete flew up Thanos to grab a healing potion, while Heirloom tripped the trap, taking a wound, and stood helplessly by while Thanos smacked him for 2 more wounds. I quickly swarmed the big T with cutters; Pete took 4 leaving engagements, resulting in 3 quick wounds. However, his healing potion was put to good use. I kept a steady supply of cutters engaged to Thanos and was then able to sneak a couple of the speedy goblins into his start zone to start picking away at Morsbane. As Thanos blasted away cutters one at a time, I started moving up Brutes via Barge, whittling away at Thanos while I also juggled OMs on his start zone.

With Thanos tied up, I was able to move up Hierloom via the road and start force orbing Morsbane, causing Isamu to vanish in the process. Pete responded by dumping some OMs on his other units. Luckily, Heirloom weathered an attack from the little red ninja, granting him the gift of death the next turn. The dice gods finally returned to my Brutes, and I was able to take out Thanos, leaving Pete with a 4 life Morsbane, who killed an adjacent cutter and negated Heirloom. I cornered the elf with Heirloom, and there were 3 breathless turns as Pete rolled for Rejected by Death (which he hit in earlier games) while my OM-laced Brutes scrambled to reach out and crush the elf. Fortunately, I was able to eradicate the elf before he could summon Thanos, and I readily claimed the win. Pete played a great game, destroying 8 cutters and a brute in the process (without expendable rabble, Pete would have given my brutes a woodshed beating).

Fun game, Pete!

3-2

I ended up in 5th place, winning a D3 booster (Heroes of Fallcrest); I won another booster for having the strongest SoS (Icewind Scourge...Hello MoTH and Ice Troll, yeah!), and I received a final booster for travelling the farthest distance(435 miles, and D2- Ogre and Goblins, finally grabbing a fourth squad of Cutters).

Aftermath:
What I learned about the Brutes/Cutters -

I am not going to lie: for me, playing this duo was mentally taxing over the course of 5 games, as one has to be constantly aware of Cutter/Brute placement. Mistakes are always harmful, but they seem to get amplified in a Brute/Cutter army. That being said, the Brute squad is definitely a powerful build; true, it fears multi-special attackers, but when coupled with a strong hero, it gets a nice insurance policy (although the captain will always give shivers, to be sure). As for the Cutter/Brute ratio, I condone the fielding of at least 3 squads of brutes, as their numbers will allow you to weather some bad rolls when Expendable Rabble cannot be used. Still, the 2-brute squad/4 cutter squad mix (coupled with someone like Kaemon or the hydra) would have given me much better chances of wounding beefy marvel heroes, negating the Captain's Counter Strike, and helping to level out the bad dice rolls in general.

Regardless, it was a fun day of gaming with an excellent group, and it was great seeing some seldom-used units in play (Pelloth/Drow, Roman Archers, Seige, and even the Red Skull).

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; June 26th, 2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Punctuation cleansing
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM

Re: Filthy's Carnage Reports - Updated 2011-10-23

Florida Frenzy 5.0 Battle Report

With the restrictions of the map set, and the point totals, I settled on two finalists for my army:
  1. Horned Skull Brutes x5, Raelin, Marro Warrions: A strong core of hard hitters, with some range to lead things off and hopefully entice my opponent into more manageable range of the Brutes. Plus, the Marro can work with Barge into Battle. Raelin boosts the Brutes' defense to Minion levels.
  2. Phantom Knights x4, Hydra, Heirloom: I love the PKs, and the Hydra helps with big Special Attackers and melee swarms. Heirloom is crowd control, and he can swipe Treasure glyphs for fun and profit.

I went with #2 on a last-minute, gut decision.

Game 1
Vs. Zealot, who was fielding Airborne Elite, Axegrinders x2, Migol, Heirloom, and Marro Warriors
Map: Shadow of the Mountain

Zealot moved out Heirloom initially, grabbing a Treasure Glyph via Mage Hand, and then moved up dwarves. I spent the round moving up Phantom Knights, who were in a good position when Zealot's Airborne finally dropped. My Heirloom clashed with Migol on the Shadow tiles in the central portion of the board, where it was a battle of One-shield defense VS Warforged Resolve. With the help of the Hydra (who flanked Migol via the adjacent water tiles), I was able to drop Migol, who took a significant amount of punishment, as directed by the skilled hands of Zealot. As this was going on, my PK's were stemming the approach of the other dwarves after removing most of the other ranged threats and Heirloom. Zealot did a good job of thinning out all of the PKs; in the end, I had a 3 wound Heirloom and 1 wound Hydra left to claim victory.
1-0
Post-game thoughts: with a ton of wide-open lanes, and height over the ice and water (which melee has to cross), this is a brutal map for melee. My PK's were able to overcome much of the terrain limitations via their Stealth Flying and lock down Zealot's ranged units; still, on a different map, the outcome could have been much different.

Game 2
Vs. Dustin. He fielded Sir Dupuis, Knights of Weston x2, Eldgrim, and Nilfeim.
Map: Oxbow Road

I have come to despise Nilfeim, as he is simply brutal against 3-man, non-bonding squads. His ability to claim height on this map did not help matters. That being said, I opened up with Heirloom (to make a run for the T glyphs: I ended up taking Common Attack +1) and then PK's to contest the high ground. Dustin opening up with Knights and Dupuis. Dustin thought that Dupuis bonded with the Knights, which probably affected the outcome of his army selection (I feel sorry for the opponent of his first game); we squared that away, and Dustin opened up with Eldgrim and Knights. I chose to ignore Eldgrim and focus on attacking knights, but it ended up costing me a squad of PK, as a couple of overextends quickly earned Eldgrim's points. Realizing that an extra point of movement would not matter much to his highly mobile heroes, I finally offed the little guy, but the damage was done. Nilfiem mowed down PKs, while I moved up the Hydra. The heroes met in the low part of the hills, and in the end, Dupuis stood standing with 3 wounds (against melee, Dupuis with height and Chalice of Fortitude is no joke). Dustin moved Dupuis to high ground and started targeting my remaining PKs. I dropped two PKs next to Dupuis and got him up to 5 wounds; I made a mistake in not engaging Dupuis with my third PK and hopefully getting this last wound (rather, I attacked a closing KW). Unfortunately, our game went to time: Dustin had a 5-wound Dupuis and one squad of Knights left, vs my 2 PKs and Isamu. With full-card scoring, that easily gave him the win.
1-1
Post-game thoughts: This was my first game that went to time, and there were a couple of turns where it took my opponent 5+ minutes to place OMs, which is something that I am not used to in my limited game-time. Either way, losing this game was really my fault, as I should have been more privvy to the elapsed time. Had I engaged that third PK to Dupuis and caused the sixth wound, I would have won on points by 10. I was poised to take him out the next round, but the game was called and that was that. Regardless, it was a good win for Dustin, who managed Dupuis and Nilfeim skillfully.

Game 3
Vs. Torog, with Zelrig, MW, Dividers x 2, Drones x3, Marcu
Map: Quicksilver Fane (tournament version)

This was one of those games were everything came together for me. I opened up with Heirloom, who mage handed a T glyph (attack +1), and then Force Orbed Torog's Marro as the came out of the gate. PK's forced a penetrating Drone off of the remaining, permanent glpyh (d20 +1, a good glyph for him!), and then surrounded Zelrig before he could do any damage. From here on out, it was a matter of surgical strikes by the PK, puncutated by Heirloom's sticcato blasts of energy against Marro clumps. In the end, I lost 4 PKs. My hydra spent the game in the start zone.
2-1
Post-game thoughts: Torog's dice rolls were cold; otherwise, this game could have been quite different. This was a good map for area attacks and mobile PK's.

Game 4
Vs. Randomskyfears, sporting Q9, KMA, 10th x3
Map: Stony Pass

This game was Deja Vu from the last Florida Frenzy, as the winner was headed to the Semi finals, and it was another square-off against Randomskyfears (who won the last FF). I moved up Heirloom to mage hand a T glyph, while Randomsky sent Q9 deep into the map in order to take out Heirloom...Which he did in short order (which was a pity, as Force Orb would have been great against the 10th). However, his advancement set me up for a strong OM on my hydra, who dropped Q9 with 3 attacks. Losing his next OM on Q9, my hydra was able to advance umimpeded, devouring 2 agents and a 2 soldiers in the process and putting my hydra in a strong position against his remaining units However, two shots from the 10th, and two Defense whiffs, ended my Hydra' reign. With the help of strong 10th placement, and bad Insubstantial rolls, Randomsky was able to claw his way back up and claim victory, with 1 agent and a squad of 10th left.

Post-game thoughts: Randomskyfears is a great guy, but he is proving to be my nemesis as the dice gods love him more. Next time, Reuben! Next time...

Game 5
Vs. BurnyFlame, with Kato Katsuro, Ashigaru Harquebus x3, Ashigaru Yari x2, Sonya
Map: Shadow of the Mountain

Burny moved up Sonya to attempt to grab a glyph, but Heirloom mage handed it his way. From there on, Burny moved up his conscripted swarm. Heirloom started dropping orbs on them, thinning out 6 in the process. I disengaged Heirloom from a lone Yari (taking a wound) in order to force orb a clump of 4 Harquebus and Sonya, but I only rolled one skull, which only claimed one conscript. Burny wait-then-fired from height and dropped Heirloom immediately afterward. My PK's took a tremendous amount of punishment from the Harquebus, and managed a couple of wounds on Kato early in the game, slowly thinning out his squads in the process. However, Burny's horde slowwwwwlly whittled down my PKs, and I started moving out my Hydra on the uninhabitated side of the mountain. The hydra picked up the a disengage T glyph in the process and was quickly closing to striking range of Kato. However, I made an error which I believed to be the nail in the coffin: with two Harquebui(plural?) blocking my path, I moved just in range of them, allowing them to Wait-then-fire, which blew off 3 hydra heads. I struck at Kato with only one head...And whiffed. A firing squad executed my wounded hydra the next turn. PK's withstood volleys and took out Kato, allowing me an OM of reprieve to work on thinning out the dwindling horde. However, Burny took advantage of height to blast away the PKs and Isamu followed after taking out one of the last 3 Ashigaru. Burny won, with 3 Ashigaru Harquebus standing.
Post-game thoughts: Another game that passed the time limit (BurnyFlame and his brother Dustin have a similar playing style), but Burny graciously agreed to keep playing, and he earned a well-deserved victory.

2-3

Another long, fun day of scape under my belt, well worth the 680 mile round-trip. I suffered my lowest tourney record to date (of 3!), but my losses were extremely close, and it was fun squaring up with some new opponents.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports