Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:22 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation
Florida Frenzy 4.5

Florida Frenzy 4.5!

Date: Saturday, June 25th, 2011

Sci-Fi City (~3 miles south of Cool Stuff Games)
6006 E Colonial Drive
Orlando, FL 32807
407-282-2292
-----------------------------
Hey Florida HeroScapers!

It is time for another HeroScape tournament in north/central Florida!
Old post:
Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Tournament Format:
-Marvel is allowed
-Your first 100 point hero receives one additional defense die. No bonus to additional 100 point heroes. You must choose at the start of the tournament which character will receive the bonus.
-Each card you bring which has a power which explicitly says "Bonding" in the name will lose you one Strength of Schedule point (-1 S.o.S.); example: you bring three squads of Knights of Weston, they can keep their Bonding power active, but you will get -3 to your S.o.S. for tie-breaking purposes; however, you may choose to negate all of your Bonding powers for the tournament and not receive the penalty.
-Entry Fee: HeroScape prize or $10
-470 point HeroScape armies
-2 Glyphs per map (out of 10)
-4 Swiss rounds, then top 4 play Semi-finals while rest play 5th round
-Final round (top two players), everyone else Free Play
-Awards include $50 cash

Schedule:
Sci-Fi City opens at 10 a.m. on Saturdays.
10am-12pm: Check-in/Set-up
12pm-1pm: First Swiss Round
1pm-2pm: Second Swiss Round
2pm-3pm: Third Swiss Round
3pm-4pm: Food Break
4pm-5pm: Fourth Swiss Round
5pm-6pm: Fifth Swiss Round/Top 4 play Semi-Finals
6pm-7pm: Top 2 play Finals/3rd&4th play/Free play for rest
7pm: Clean-up and Prizes! Casual play afterwards.

Maps:
Round the Outside by Killometer
Requires 1 ROTV, 1 RTTFF

Forgery by Game Bear
Requires 1 MS3, 1 FOTA, 1 VW

Forgotten Highway by Retlaw
Requires 1 SotM, 1 TJ, <1 FotA

Division by Kaiser Cat
Requires 1 BftU, <1 RttF

Map notes: As we don't have any ice/snow maps, we shall say that for powers which reference them, dungeon stalagmites can count as glaciers, and dungeon spaces can count as normal snow. Also, each map will be using two random, face-down glyphs from the pool of 10 listed below.

Glyphs:
-Heroic Rune (+1 Attack)
-Talisman of Defense (+1 Defense)
-Elixir of Speed (+4 Move, one time use)
-Potion of Healing (+3 Health, one time use)
-Brooch of Shielding (Disengage)
-Nilrend (Negation, one time use)
-Thorian (No normal attack hit zones)
-Lodin (+1 D20)
-Rannveig (No flying)
-Valda (+2 Move)
*Note: Treasure glyphs require a unique hero to roll a 6 or higher to pick up; rolling 1-5 will result in one wound.

Confirmed Antendees:
BurnyFlame (+1)
SmoKing Toad
nicktheant
MrWookiee
Filthy the Clown (+1?)
Juniour
randomskyfears
GGGames (+2)
Torog
Zealot
Rennix

Non-confirmed:
Mr Migraine
Syvaris
1MmirG
boondocksaint
himsati
Johngee's son?

Last edited by BurnyFlame; June 29th, 2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Updates!
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM

nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Florida Frenzy 4.5 - Need Input!

I vote Cool Stuff Games.

But I could defiantly make it to Daytona and Gainesville, Tampa would be a maybe.

The date shouldn't be a problem with me, as long as it's a Saturday.

I'd prefer a standard annihilation game, but I'll play whatever the game style is. Not really on board with customs in tourneys yet, but that's subject to change. 400-500 point games sound good, any higher and there might be some timing problems.

WOTC Prize support? I'm guessing that was just copied over from the last Florida Frenzy.

Thanks for hosting another tournament, last one was a blast.

Want to Re-base Your DnD Figures? Click here.
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:10 AM

KoBaCaaTT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Tampa would be great (Pinellas county being better )!

I am interested about the fund-raiser thing. Is there a chance that Hasbro is selling the rights to Heroscape?
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:14 AM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

I don't care either as I will be riding with nicktheant. However, CSI (great acronym) would be a cool place to have it, as it is the only store that continuously sells Heroscape. I can't wait to go and I'm lovin the rules. If you decide to allow customs, I have a Marro Hero or two I'd like to try out.

My customs HERE.
With Two Es

Last edited by MrWookiee; February 10th, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

1. Gainesville (loved the BAM location; plenty of space and easier drive from NW FL)
  2. Daytona (will pack my speedos)
  3. Orlanda
  4. Tampa

I like either of these options (with 500 - 510 point totals):
  • Bring two armies and have to roll to see which one you use.
  • Bring a core army (~300 points) and be allowed to substitute in from a "bench" for your remaining points.

• Late March sounds like a worthy time.
  • Include the use of any C3V or SOV stamped figures
  • Registration fee and cash prizes sounds pretty good. Donating the extra money to a future Scape buyer probably will be more hassle than it is worth, though. I recommend either divvying all of the registration to prizes, or pooling some of it for food, etc.

Thanks again, Burny. Looking forward to the tournament!
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:06 PM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
  1. Gainesville (loved the BAM location; plenty of space and easier drive from NW FL)
  2. Daytona (will pack my speedos)
  3. Orlanda
  4. Tampa

I like either of these options (with 500 - 510 point totals):
  • Bring two armies and have to roll to see which one you use.
  • Bring a core army (~300 points) and be allowed to substitute in from a "bench" for your remaining points.

• Late March sounds like a worthy time.
  • Include the use of any C3V or SOV stamped figures
  • Registration fee and cash prizes sounds pretty good. Donating the extra money to a future Scape buyer probably will be more hassle than it is worth, though. I recommend either divvying all of the registration to prizes, or pooling some of it for food, etc.

Thanks again, Burny. Looking forward to the tournament!

Anyways...

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:13 PM

Juniour is surprisingly tart

If we decide to do it in Gainesville I think it might be a better idea, since there is more time to plan, to reserve a room in one of the main student centers, as I know they would be able to provide tables and chairs for us as well, as well as a private location.

I think some of the rules sound great, but I just don't think customs would be a good idea, since they vary and can easily be way overpowered. I could see customs being used in the future, but heroscape has only been discontinued for about 6 months (not even actually) and "real" scape isn't getting old any time soon.

For locations I think Cool Stuff Inc would be the best for me. I don't really know about Tampa since this is supposed to be for North and Central Floridians. But Gainesville would work as well as Daytona.
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:26 AM

Here are a few updates and ideas I am considering:

I am looking for a good venue in Daytona, I am calling Cool Stuff tomorrow, and I already know Books-A-Million is fine with hosting again in Gainesville if we want.

The top tournament structures that I am currently leaning towards:
1. No restrictions, but any power that has the word "bonding" is negated.
2. Armies must include a 100 point (even) hero, and for the tournament that figure receives an extra defense die.
3. Use the newest treasure glyphs.

Parts of the tournament structure that are (90%) definite:
1. Victory is decided by number of points destroyed (total annihilation)
2. There will be glyphs
3. There will be Swiss rounds (pairings of similar records)
4. Marvel will be allowed but not required
5. Customs of any kind (including ones which went through voting) will NOT be allowed
6. It will be fun!

As HeroScape will only continue to get harder to acquire, I think having a simple cash entry fee and cash prizes would work. However, if we do manage to attact new players, we would want them to have the opportunity to choose HeroScape related prizes. So I'll probably end up accepting both, but I shall encourage prizes over cash.

Opinions?
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Well, personally, I am not liking the no bonding rule, just because that REALLY limits you if youre trying to use an army in which no Order markers are wasted. The 100 point hero idea is cool, but I would make it not mandatory or just get rid of the bonus, because if it wasn't mandatory, people would be encouraged to do it for the extra defense, but wouldn't have to if it didn't fit in their army plan.

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

I am liking the 90% definite ruleset.

In regards to bonding: does this rule out movement-based bonding, such as Nakitas/Gorillanators, Blasts/Glads, etc?

FYI-List of 100 point heroes:
  • Ana Karithon
  • Agent Carr
  • Deathwalker 7000
  • Gurei-Oni
  • Iron Golem
  • Jorhdawn
  • Major X17
  • Marcus Decimus Gallus
  • Mind Flayer Mastermind
  • Morsbane
  • Ogre Pulverizer
  • Ornak
  • Pelloth
  • Sir Denrick
  • Syvarris
  • Tornak
  • Wyvern
Did you throw in the no bonding rule on account of the Death Chasers and Romans? Please note that not allowing bonding could make it difficult to take down some of the beefier Marvel heroes.

Bonus points for using Pelloth?

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; February 18th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Just my two cents: There's probably a less than 1% chance that I'd make it down to Fla from NJ on a day that you'd pick, BUT... I do visit my sister in St.Pete and/or my son near Tampa 2 or 3 times a year. So Armada Games would be my FIRST choice (been there), with Orlando would be my SECOND (does Cool Stuff have a storefront? I could not find it when I was down there last Oct.). The other options are impossible for me to consider at this time. Hope all ya'all have FUN 'Scaping, look us up if you're ever in the NYC-Philli-Baltimore area, and Have A Nic eDay; - ) ~ john G.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old February 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
In regards to bonding: does this rule out movement-based bonding, such as Nakitas/Gorillanators, Blasts/Glads, etc?

. . .

Did you throw in the no bonding rule on account of the Death Chasers and Romans? Please note that not allowing bonding could make it difficult to take down some of the beefier Marvel heroes.

Bonus points for using Pelloth?
Filthy the Clown, if we play the no bonding rule, then it would prevent movement bonding powers as well, because it would stop any power that had the word "bonding." Note that it would not affect similar powers, like "War Cry," "Utgar's Orders," or "Hive Mind" because they don't use the word bonding. As to making it harder to take down Marvel, I say "Great!"

MrWookiee, I don't understand what you mean about "wasting order markers" if you don't have bonding. It would be the same for all players, so it would still be even, but perhaps require even more strategy. This tournament will be less "official" than the NHSD one in the fall, so we need to mix it up. Bringing a 100 point hero does not have to be mandatory, but if you do there could still be a bonus (either +1 defense or +1 to S.o.S.).

Johngee, it would be great if you could come. Cool Stuff does indeed have a store front in Orlando. Which weekend could you make?

OK, so Cool Stuff Games said they definitely have the space, and they could help us by collecting entry fees and then giving out gift cards to their store and/or HeroScape prizes. I still am unsure how that would be better than if I did it myself, but let me know if you think that would be better.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events