Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old March 15th, 2024, 10:45 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: HeroScape is coming back!

On a more positive note, I think I just gave Hogg their robes.
Old March 15th, 2024, 12:04 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
I used to go with SIZE="4", but find SIZE="5" easier to see at this point.
Since you bring it up, I'll toss in my feedback on posting etiquette.

My experience on the forums over the years has never been improved by people changing their text size, typeface, text color, etc. Quite the contrary. Now of course using features like bold and italics (in the appropriate manner) is helpful; it lets the writer be expressive and it can help the reader discern intent and nuance.

But when people regularly change their font size, or post everything in red, or use an annoyingly animated profile picture, or have a giant image in their sig that repeats over and over in every thread, or post walls of text that leave out punctuation or paragraph breaks (these are the worst!), or use boldface & italics excessively or in nonstandard ways, this only makes it harder for me to read the forums. It adds to reading fatigue, it takes more scrolling, it makes the brain work harder to decode the exceptions.... Sometimes I just have to skip past some of those posts. Sometimes I've skipped past yours, which is sad because you have a lot of good things to say and I've generally always enjoyed reading your comments (except when I hit my limit and can't deal with any more typographic overload).

Now I certainly understand the need for text to be large enough to be readable. I'm 60 and use glasses only for distance clarity, so I pretty much always have my browser magnification increased. This puts most posts at just the right size for me, but then the text of those who increase the font size in their actual posts is HUGE. Which (for me) adds difficulty, because then it's again even more scrolling and sometimes needing to see-saw my browser zoom back and forth just to deal with one person whose text is bigger than everyone else's. It's probably obvious how quickly that gets old.

Anyway, keep doing whatever you need to do, of course. We all need to be able to express ourselves here as best we can. But my feedback, for whatever it's worth, is that when you have a larger point size than everyone else, this can be impacting some of those everyone elses in ways that might not have been obvious. Maybe you just want to make it easier to read your own posts in the preview window or whatever, but this can also come off seeming like somebody just wants their words to be bigger than everyone else's words.

The best thing for everyone is if all the posts are in the same size, color, and typeface, and then each person can adjust their browser and computer settings however they like, to make everyone's posts easiest to read for them. Then we can all breeze through without feeling like we wanna skip over the ones that are buzzing and flashing and doing the macarena.

I hope this is not too confrontational. I really do enjoy your posts. I just wish they weren't so hard to process sometimes.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old March 15th, 2024, 12:06 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I used to go with SIZE="4", but find SIZE="5" easier to see at this point. And I still increase my view on my computer now and then.
You should go for SIZE="9" it's even easier to read.

Old March 15th, 2024, 12:11 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Maybe I should place a disclaimer over my posts about the underlying respect I have for everyone here, and that I have learned not to take anything personally. And that folks' reactions to any of my posts says more about them than about me. Of course, if 20-30 folks have a problem . . .

That being said:

I do not consider a declaration of independence disrespectful. The English may not agree. That my expectations are low does not mean I hope Renegade fails. I am merely extra grateful for what we have.

P.S.: Just read Just_a_Bill's post above (Ninja'd?). Anyways, he makes a cogent argument for uniformity of size and font. My wife encourages me to be considerate so, if only Just for Bill, . . .
Old March 15th, 2024, 12:16 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Quote:
I used to go with SIZE="4", but find SIZE="5" easier to see at this point. And I still increase my view on my computer now and then.
You should go for SIZE="9" it's even easier to read.
How can we expect him to see this comment when it uses such a small font size?
Old March 15th, 2024, 12:18 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
How can we expect him to see this comment when it uses such a small font size?
Post unclear, please enlarge.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old March 15th, 2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
My wife encourages me to be considerate so, if only Just for Bill, . . .
Oh man, don't do it just for me. I can't take the pressure!

Old March 15th, 2024, 12:21 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

In defense of my fellow NYC Gang member kolakoski, at least he's better than Burny Flame.
Old March 15th, 2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
In defense of my fellow NYC Gang member kolakoski, at least he's better than Burny Flame.
(That's why I mentioned red text!)

Old March 15th, 2024, 12:51 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
...or have a giant image in their sig that repeats over and over in every thread...

-insert signature here-
Old March 15th, 2024, 01:14 PM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I'm on the record as wanting to end neg rep on the site. Anonymous cyberbullying has never benefitted the site in any tangible way as far as I can tell. Looking at those little red bars every time you sign on only gets people in their feelings and creates additional angst.
Honestly these forums have always been one of the places where "neg rep" seemed to be used "responsibly". I remember being dinged on here for "poor grammar" uhhh....way too far back in time. Granted, the internet has shifted massively since then in how "civil" discussion is handled, so removing it might be a good idea.
Old March 15th, 2024, 01:56 PM

If you go back to the original documents from antiquity -- AFAIK all major philosophies and religions have this rule -- neg rep was supposed to be reserved only for the barbarians who install toilet paper on the roll backwards. In some cultures, there was a later amendment to include people who try to keep other people from enjoying pineapple on their pizza.

On a more useful note, I agree with you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvaris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I'm on the record as wanting to end neg rep on the site...
... the internet has shifted massively since then in how "civil" discussion is handled, so removing it might be a good idea.
If anonymous negging was of any value in a Heroscape forum, it would be on Reddit. :shudder:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News