Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 24th, 2009, 01:17 AM

SunTzuNhu is surprisingly tart
SunTzuNhu Mechwarrior Conversions

Edit: I have changed this thread to post all of my Mechwarrior mods. Once, I have added enough custom units, then I will just post their cards in the first page.

===================================================

Original Post:

This is my first attempt at converting a custom unit to Heroscape. I followed the suggestions for modifications from the most recent HS Codex, but I am still unsure if this is a balanced unit. Following the HS Codex advice, I based my unit off of an official unit, Major Q10, and used that as a point of reference.

I do not know if this unit is too cheap or too expensive for its abilities. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sgt. Major R15, Vydar
Soulborg, Unique Hero, Major, Precise, Large 7
Life 3, Move 5, Range 8, Attack 4, Defense 4, Points 100

Barrage Special Attack
Range 6. Attack 5. Sgt. Major R15 may use this special attack 3 times in the same turn. R15 may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.

Overheat
When Barrage Special Attack is used, place 3 Overheat markers on this card. At the end of each turn after Barrage is used, remove one marker. R15 cannot move, attack, or defend while an overheat marker is on this card.

Last edited by SunTzuNhu; September 29th, 2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker
Re: Mechwarrior Conversion to Soulborg

I don't think "Overheat" is clearly worded. On the one hand It seems to imply that "Barrage" can only be used once every 3 turns, but then it gets kinda murky to me. If I can't attack while there is an overheat marker and the only way for overheat markers to come off is after a turn of Barrage (which is an attack) is used how does it work?

I also think the number of attack dice is high for Barrage for a 100pt unit. 3 attacks of 5 dice has some serious devastation potential.
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:37 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
I don't think "Overheat" is clearly worded. On the one hand It seems to imply that "Barrage" can only be used once every 3 turns, but then it gets kinda murky to me. If I can't attack while there is an overheat marker and the only way for overheat markers to come off is after a turn of Barrage (which is an attack) is used how does it work?

I also think the number of attack dice is high for Barrage for a 100pt unit. 3 attacks of 5 dice has some serious devastation potential.

As I see it, he's actually priced about right. 3 attacks of five DOES have some serious potential, but then he can't move, attack, OR defend until all of the overheat markers are gone from his card. 3 life should go down pretty darn fast without that 4 defense.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post

As I see it, he's actually priced about right. 3 attacks of five DOES have some serious potential, but then he can't move, attack, OR defend until all of the overheat markers are gone from his card. 3 life should go down pretty darn fast without that 4 defense.
Assuming there's anything left alive to make an attack.
Old September 24th, 2009, 08:35 AM

The reason I added the Overheat option is to limit the use of the Barrage attack. I wanted to force the player to use Barrage judiciously and avoid having the special attack becoming overused.

I also felt that this added an extra element to the unit's play. If a player uses Barrage, then the Overheat option forces the player to use other units to defend R15 for 3 complete turns while it recovers. Or, the player can use Barrage in a suicide attack and leave it defenseless.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Timemaster4 is surprisingly tart

Overheat is a very nice abillity! Good work!

Save a Dragon; click my egg:
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Barrage is very powerful, yet Overheat is a big liability. They sort of balance. My concern is that the reward/risk is too extreme in both cases. Sure Barrage is awesome, but in all likelihood that would be the last thing he does because 3 life will be gone before over heat is over.

With that in mind this unit would probably be used as either a first strike unit trying to kill some important cheerleaders, or maybe a clean up hoping to kill everything with barrage.

Considering your using a Thor/Summoner figure which is a mainline battle mech the Battle tech fan within me longs for something that would more resemble the Thor's function in Btech.

I would consider lowering the Barrage strength of attack to maybe 3 attack, but have overheat such that the unit can still move normally, just cannot use its barrage special attack until the overheat phase is finished. That way you can use your power and still function. Or another option would be to have 4 attack, but then during overheat you would lower all your stats by one.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Barrage is very powerful, yet Overheat is a big liability. They sort of balance. My concern is that the reward/risk is too extreme in both cases. Sure Barrage is awesome, but in all likelihood that would be the last thing he does because 3 life will be gone before over heat is over.
I agree that the reward/risk is too extreme in both cases. As I think about it more, a player would have to adjust his strategy around protecting the overheated unit while it recovers instead of focusing on eliminating his opponent's units.

I like your second suggestion. However, I still think that there should be a stronger deterrent to using the Barrage attack haphazardly. Here is the compromise I've come up with:
  • Lower the Barrage attack to 4 dice.
  • During Overheat, the unit uses 2 less dice from its normal stat items.
Barrage Special Attack
Range 6. Attack 4. Sgt. Major R15 may use this special attack 3 times in the same turn. R15 may target the same figure or a different figure with each attack.

Overheat
When Barrage Special Attack is used, place 3 Overheat markers on this card. At the end of each turn after Barrage has been used, remove one marker. While an Overheat marker is on this card, Barrage Special Attack cannot be used and Move, Range, Attack, & Defense are reduced by 2.

Below are some height comparisons for the Mech conversion.

Last edited by SunTzuNhu; September 24th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old September 24th, 2009, 10:08 PM

For those individuals who are concerned with scale when doing mods, Mechwarrior has a lot of units that compare nicely to Heroscape scale. What's even better, most of the Mechs have a limited form of articulation. So, a player can change the posture while playing.

I've posted a few height comparisons below.

Old September 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM

Here are two more Mechwarrior conversion. Instead of getting too creative with the special abilities, I just tweaked existing abilities from official units. Again, I'm unsure if the cost of each unit is too cheap or expensive.

In the previous scale chart, you can see how they compare to the two Deathwalkers. Any advice or helpful comments are welcomed.

Edit: Updated point value

Last edited by SunTzuNhu; September 25th, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:47 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dang, those Battlemech minis look great! Where did you find them?

As for your lance corporal, I would lower his point totals as he is right now. 2 life + 2 def + 1 range = low cost unit. First assualt is fine, it is what really makes him playable.

Question though, on his second power can the defending unit defend as normal? If so, then he should be in the 50ish point range, maybe even less.

BTW, what mech is that? I dont recgonize it as either the hatchetman or axeman.

My only suggestion would not to go to crazy with all the different ranks in their names. Unless of course you like that kind of thing, I just like things a bit more streamlined.

The lieutenant looks pretty good as is. Powers, stats and points seem to be online at first look.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Dang, those Battlemech minis look great! Where did you find them?
The Mechwarrior minis were produced by the now-defunct WizKids company. The same manufacturer of HeroClix, HorrorClix, & HaloClix. My FLGS clearanced a lot of the WizKids line when it was shut down by Topps. I also found really cheap ones on eBay.

Quote:
Question though, on his second power can the defending unit defend as normal? If so, then he should be in the 50ish point range, maybe even less.
If you mean the Parting Shot ability, then yes, the defending unit can defend as normal. It allows the Hunter unit to get two attacks against two opponents in the same turn.

Quote:
My only suggestion would not to go to crazy with all the different ranks in their names. Unless of course you like that kind of thing, I just like things a bit more streamlined.
I'm not that creative when it comes to naming the units. Every name I came up with sounded very lame. The military theme was just easier for me to stick with, using Majors Q9 and Q10 as examples.

I'll take your advice and lower the scout's point total to 55. Thanks again for your advice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards