Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 17th, 2013, 01:21 AM

Porkachu is surprisingly tart
Re: Hunger Games Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emolink 951 View Post
perhaps i could do the custom character thing later. right now i just want to define the characters from the hunger games and give them a heroscape persona, also i think we should mix in pre-made glyphs, with some made up glyphs. a bow could change a range from 1 to 6, having a canteen you could be able to fill it up when adjacent to a water tile, then heal one wound with it later on, or a broadsword could affect adjacent attack, but you could only have maybe one at a time. glyph of Astrid and stuff could be involved as well
The way I have it set up now accounts for that; only one weapon may be held at a time, but you can drop them and pick others up, etc. Actual treasure glyphs already in the game would be scattered around the board.

We actually tested it today (I was gamemaker); four players started by the cornucopia, took their turns. At the end of the round, two things happened; first, I took a turn with up to two mutts. Second, I changed the board in some way. It went on for a while, and by the end the board had a swamp, a snowy volcano, a forest, other stuff. My sister's District 5 spear-fighter won. There were some funky alliances, too.

I'd like to see it with the actual characters, samthegoat's model, and that gift system you wrote up earlier, but I think for a test run it was a good start. I plan to test it more over the weekend and write up a battle report.

EDIT: The board was about two feet in diameter. Is that big enough? I feel like the arena should be vast, but I also feel like it could very easily get too big to manage.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM

Emolink 951 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkachu View Post
Quote:
perhaps i could do the custom character thing later. right now i just want to define the characters from the hunger games and give them a heroscape persona, also i think we should mix in pre-made glyphs, with some made up glyphs. a bow could change a range from 1 to 6, having a canteen you could be able to fill it up when adjacent to a water tile, then heal one wound with it later on, or a broadsword could affect adjacent attack, but you could only have maybe one at a time. glyph of Astrid and stuff could be involved as well
The way I have it set up now accounts for that; only one weapon may be held at a time, but you can drop them and pick others up, etc. Actual treasure glyphs already in the game would be scattered around the board.

We actually tested it today (I was gamemaker); four players started by the cornucopia, took their turns. At the end of the round, two things happened; first, I took a turn with up to two mutts. Second, I changed the board in some way. It went on for a while, and by the end the board had a swamp, a snowy volcano, a forest, other stuff. My sister's District 5 spear-fighter won. There were some funky alliances, too.

I'd like to see it with the actual characters, samthegoat's model, and that gift system you wrote up earlier, but I think for a test run it was a good start. I plan to test it more over the weekend and write up a battle report.

EDIT: The board was about two feet in diameter. Is that big enough? I feel like the arena should be vast, but I also feel like it could very easily get too big to manage.
i think it should be big, both long wise, and height wise. thinking about it the making your own tribute sounds amazingly fun.. i might help you work on that one

So tell me, what DOES the inside of your mouth taste like? .-.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:30 AM

Emolink 951 Woo who?

maybe make a video of the playtest? id like to see how they go myself o:

Old January 17th, 2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i think it should be big, both long wise, and height wise. thinking about it the making your own tribute sounds amazingly fun.. i might help you work on that one
The only problem I've come across is abilities. They come with weapons, but then there are others I'd like to include that I can't fit in. I'd try designing a level-up system, but I'd like the customs to be compatible with the actual characters, so I'm hesitant to do so.

As for the board size, another issue; should it start out completely flat? I think that's most efficient in terms of game mechanics, but there also has to be somewhere to go in the first few rounds. The test I ran was great, but the board didn't actually LOOK like anything much until round three, when I'd finished a river/forest area and the desert ruins section. Which is fine, but if someone chooses not to go into the cornucopia, there should be places to hide already.

Also, yes, I can probably take a video or pictures.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:44 AM

Emolink 951 Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only problem I've come across is abilities. They come with weapons, but then there are others I'd like to include that I can't fit in. I'd try designing a level-up system, but I'd like the customs to be compatible with the actual characters, so I'm hesitant to do so.

As for the board size, another issue; should it start out completely flat? I think that's most efficient in terms of game mechanics, but there also has to be somewhere to go in the first few rounds. The test I ran was great, but the board didn't actually LOOK like anything much until round three, when I'd finished a river/forest area and the desert ruins section. Which is fine, but if someone chooses not to go into the cornucopia, there should be places to hide already.

Also, yes, I can probably take a video or pictures.
yeah.. maybe we need a few custom terrain added into it all

Old January 17th, 2013, 01:51 AM

idk if custom terrain is necessary, but maybe just have a look for the arena before the game starts, and then the gamemaker, rather than building the board over the course of the game, changes it. Its less flexible, and allows for less drastic changes to the environment, but it might be more in the spirit of the books, especially considering Katniss' strategy.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:08 AM

Emolink 951 Woo who?

Quote:
idk if custom terrain is necessary, but maybe just have a look for the arena before the game starts, and then the gamemaker, rather than building the board over the course of the game, changes it. Its less flexible, and allows for less drastic changes to the environment, but it might be more in the spirit of the books, especially considering Katniss' strategy.
hm. well basing a battlefield off of the first arena is a bit tricky, as it would be hard to map it all out. the third quarter quell might be a bit easier to attempt

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
hm. well basing a battlefield off of the first arena is a bit tricky, as it would be hard to map it all out. the third quarter quell might be a bit easier to attempt
Agreed. Although we could test it with a huge forest-y map. I'll do two separate tests; flat board and forest/hills/river board.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:13 AM

Emolink 951 Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. Although we could test it with a huge forest-y map. I'll do two separate tests; flat board and forest/hills/river board.
if you have the right pieces, you could make any arena you wanted. if not though (like me^^) it might be best to stick with the basic forest idea

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
if you have the right pieces, you could make any arena you wanted. if not though (like me^^) it might be best to stick with the basic forest idea
I don't have much either, but I can substitute pillars for trees if I run out. And they can be taken off as the map changes anyway, so it probably won't be too much of a problem.
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:22 AM

Emolink 951 Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have much either, but I can substitute pillars for trees if I run out. And they can be taken off as the map changes anyway, so it probably won't be too much of a problem.
you used mutts in your playtesting? howd that go, and howd you make them work?

Old January 17th, 2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
you used mutts in your playtesting? howd that go, and howd you make them work?

There were mutt squads that we gave Badru Wolf stats, and mutt heroes who were wolves with 4 lives and a Drow poison damage ability (we called it "slashing claws", but it worked like poison blade) added onto their Badru abilities. Did you have an actual design for them? That'd be better.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards