Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old January 5th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Gidian has disabled reputation
(Small) Tutorial: Making prototypes for casting

In my Dungeon WIP Thread A3n asked me, how I build my prototypes before making a mold from them. First I wanted to answer him in that thread but than I thought this small tutorial should have itīs own one because I donīt want to mix up too many topics in just one thread. So I just copied my answer into this one. Maybe it helps some of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Do you do all your prototypes with that pink foam?
Most of them, but not all. A few weeks ago I tried a new technique which I call "Plaster Carving". Or call it whatever you want. I even donīt know if the technique is new but Iīve seen it never before.

The basic idea behind it is quite simple: Dental plaster gets realy hard after drying. But when you take it out of the mold after about 1 hour of drying, you can carve it easily with a cutter, a screw driver or whatever. That means: Itīs hard enough so that you donīt cut deep holes into it with a careless movement but soft enough to give the surface a nice structure.
You can work with the plaster several hours before it gets too hard. By putting your object into the fridge, you can defer the drying process if you want to continue the next day.

Another benefit is, that you can bring the plaster nearly into every form before you start carving it. It just depends on the "mold" you build for casting. Round walls for example wouldnīt be a problem.
Btw - you donīt need silicone for the molds. In my example I used isolation foam. Under the foam I put some clay to seal the mold.

Iīm sorry that I didnīt write a comment for every single step. As you can see, my English is far away from being perfect and would take me too long to write an explanation to every picture. But I think that the pictures tell the whole story.

Here is another example. As you can see, you can even carve a wood structure into the plaster with this technique.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: (Small) Tutorial: Making prototypes for casting

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to cover the process. I must try it one day , but I know it's going to be harder than you make it seem.

That wooden door (or window shutters - can't tell from the photo how large it is) is beautifully detailed. Love your work.

Cheers
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Wow. Thank you for taking the time to cover the process. I must try it one day , but I know it's going to be harder than you make it seem.

That wooden door (or window shutters - can't tell from the photo how large it is) is beautifully detailed. Love your work.

Cheers
Ditto to everything A3n said. The wooden door really is great. I look at it and feel inspiration and despair at the same time- inspiration to try it myself and despair in knowing it will be a long, long time (if ever) before I can make it look like yours.

Thanks for sharing, Gidian.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:30 AM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree here... It is obvious you have been working on this technique for a while.

(Did I see you do a giant Ape Temple a while back? I remember that being just amazing...)

Also, I was looking at your pics on your signature and your lava is is F-in SICK! I'd be afraid to touch that on the table!

http://gidian-gelaende.de/Material_H...bum/index.html

I can't link to the pic, but here is the link for everyone else to enjoy that little bit of custom goodness!

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
I agree here... It is obvious you have been working on this technique for a while.
To be honest - it wasnīt that long. I was searching for a material which is harder than the isolation foam being able to give the surface more details. Wood doesnīt work and I found just one material: a very hard, but very expensive foam. Then I had the idea with the plaster. One big benefit is that you can just pour it into the form you need so you donīt have to cut or even saw it before you can start carving.

Quote:
(Did I see you do a giant Ape Temple a while back? I remember that being just amazing...)
Yes, that was me.

Quote:
I'd be afraid to touch that on the table!
Donīt worry, you can touch it. Itīs just sand glued on the water tiles and painted red and yellow.
I thought I was writing a tutorial for the lava tiles but I didnīt found it. Maybe I forgot to write it in English. But on my homepage you can find the German version. I think, the picturs tell you how I made them. Lava Tutorial

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:27 AM

land.scape is surprisingly tart

Looking online, I see several types of dental plaster. Is it Plaster of Paris you're using? I assume it comes as a powder and you mix it. I was also thinking that the sandable powdered joint compound would work too. Mix w/water and it sets in an hour or two.

Good trades: Just_A_Bill x3, Gypsy x2, Django, outforblood, eternaldream, Gromazeka, Sup3rS0n1c, jordy40 x2, BobofDeath's Dad, CheddarLimbo, delphic, Jesusfreak13, Tysac, GeneralRolando, Frylock.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM

There are several dental plasters and I donīt use always the same one. The ones I work with have a Shore Hardness of 4. That is hard enough. But you can also use other kinds of plaster if they are hard enough. Unfortunately I know just the brands you can buy here in Germany. For example Keramin or Stewalin from the brand "Hobby Time". CLICK

Greetings from Germany

Gidian

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles