Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:24 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
birthday wishes to Dr. Seuss

First there was Dick & Jane and See Spot Run.

Then there was Dr. Seuss.

Then there were books for children.

It's hard to argue that he isn't one of the most influential writers of the 20th century.

Born March 2, 1904 with the given name Theodore Seuss Geisel, and living until September 24, 1991, Dr. Seuss changed a genre - more precisely, creating a genre that didn't exist before - and was one of the transformative figures in modern writing.

Here's his wikipedia page for those who want to know more about the man who is inextricably linked to my own childhood and, I suspect, to many of yours.

Everybody has his own favorite Seuss book. Here's an image from mine, an understated, powerful, touching story of friendship and devotion:

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 2nd, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: birthday wishes to Dr. Seuss

I'm a big Dr. Seuss fan. My kids memorized Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop and Go Dog Go long before they learned how to read. I suspect that it helped them to learn how to read at an early age.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think that I would like to wish
a merry birthday to a fish
or maybe it was to a dish
it's much the same in Blook La Lish

Here everyone is metered well
with rhythm carried in rhythm bags
that clasp with just one silver bell
so no one jets and no one lags

In Blook La Lish we smile and nod
we greet each Grummet, Grish and Grod
each Grould and Griftinlaw and Grack
when one should wave we wave right back
each Granivine, Grinivine, Grust and Groal
In Brook La Lish that is our goal

A happy greeting kind of place
a place to which we want to race
A concept free from dull excuse
A world of rhyme from Dr. Seuss

~Aldin, having a bit of fun

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I never actually read Dr. Suess (it wasn't a big thing in Scotland when I grew up) until I was about 21. It was at party in college when some cute girl thought it'd be cute to hear "Fox in Socks" with an accent. How could I resist!

However, since then I've read a lot of them to my kids and I am amazed at how the simple form of the writing and clean lines of the art can capture a child's imagination.

And yes "Fox in Socks" is still a simplistic style of writing. Not so simple to read though.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; March 2nd, 2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: I made it about half way through before sobering up and realizing just how tough that book was.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM

pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker

"The Tough Coughs as He Ploughs the Dough" (1987) was always my favorite. I found it in college and lost it again. Saw in in the library and read it cover to cover in an evening. It's a great collection of Seuss' early essays. The word play is riveting and laugh out loud funny at the same time.

Happy birthday to a beloved author and artist. It should be Dr. Seuss Day or something.
~P
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

At my son's school, they're celebrating Dr. Suess' birthday with D.E.A.R. Day (Drop Everything And Read) He brought a blanket, pillow and 10 Dr. Suess books to school for a simple day of reading. I wish we celebrated D.E.A.R at work.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Because of Dr. Seuss, my son and I know what a Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz and a Fiffer-Feffer-Feff are, and that those creatures' names begin with Z and F, respectively, and that the Quick Queen of Quincy has a Quacking Quackeroo.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; March 2nd, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: and Rosie has a Red Rhinocerous
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My Spanish teacher read us Huevos Verde con Jamon today in class. Most of the class wasn't interested, but I was.

~Rednax

Last edited by rednax; March 3rd, 2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Huevos not Jueves
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

That's cool, Rednax. How well does it translate? Rhythm and rhyme are such a strong part of his work...

~Aldin, thinking about words that start with "rhy"

ETA
rhyparographer
This is a painter who paints unpleasant or sordid subjects.

(Google is fun)

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Last edited by Aldin; March 2nd, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:53 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

My favorite!

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

It's not abook, but here's my favorite thing by Dr. Seuss:

It's called Freebird.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:08 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
That's cool, Rednax. How well does it translate? Rhythm and rhyme are such a strong part of his work...

~Aldin, thinking about words that start with "rhy"

ETA
rhyparographer
This is a painter who paints unpleasant or sordid subjects.

(Google is fun)
It translated semi-well. Instead of "Sam I Am" there was "Juan Ramon". When Sam asks, "Would you like it in a house? Would you like it with a mouse?", there was a little problem. Raton is Spanish for mouse, but Spanish for house is casa. To solve this, they added an adjective after casa that rhymed with raton. I don't remember what it was, but that was how they managed the difficult feat.

~Rednax

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General