Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings: Complete?

Hah! Very interesting. Thanks for the neat history, Jexik. Sheds a lot of light on part of the game's history I know NOTHING about. I started buying it on the very day its discontinuation was announced, shortly before Wave 13 was released.
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Hah! Very interesting. Thanks for the neat history, Jexik. Sheds a lot of light on part of the game's history I know NOTHING about. I started buying it on the very day its discontinuation was announced, shortly before Wave 13 was released.
You could try reading this entire thread, or the battle reports of GenCon winners.

That's how I started... when there was a lot less to read!

I started playing in 2007, a month before GenCon. Too late to go, but I read up on what was going on. Neo and Spider knocked each other out of day 2 by tying a match with somewhat similar 4th builds, and each losing one other game. (Oddly enough, I believe Neo's 4th were Mattser's lone Day 1 loss with his Vydar Ranged army.) 2nd place was Ry's rat-podge sans Q9 or Raelin, and 3rd was Lonewolf's Trons. (4th was Jormi's later infamous Stingers, the first known case of "denial" in tournament play).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Unrelated: Blade Gruts to B+? They're cheap, they disengage, and they bond with Grimnak.
Out of curiosity, why has Grimnak been gaining in popularity? Do I understand he used to be ranked lower?
Back in the day, Joe wrote the initial incarnation of this thread essentially as a joke. It was his way of saying "Arrow Gruts are really good, and Jason is wrong. Here's what else is good."

But people liked it. Then they took it seriously.

I think Grimnak was way down in the B- range. Heavy Gruts were B's, probably. Raelin, Rats, 4th, and Q9 were all A+. Stingers didn't exist yet. Most early tournament map designs,* glyph selections, (and the game mechanics) favored ranged armies. Point totals tended to be down around 400.

Around the time that Stingers became popular, Matthias Maccabeus started playing Heroscape in tournaments. Knights (which Joe had recently ranked as As or A-s, along with Sir Gilbert) were essentially an army waiting for a player. As large Heroscape tournaments got larger, space became more of an issue and popular maps got even smaller and more melee-friendly.* Stingers have a bad match-up v. bonded melee usually. Knights are a little less afraid of Q9 than most ranged squads are, usually. Then you throw in MM's mock-chivalry, and bam, melee is viable.

But Knights were still bad against rats. Heavy Gruts solve the rat issue while they get a little worse comparatively v. 4th&10th.

As for where Joe's Arrow Gruts went, I blame Stingers. They do much of the same stuff (kill heroes well, have 3-figure ranged for cheap) but without as much finicky placement.

*With no real data to back myself up, my gut says that contemporary map design is the biggest reason that melee has improved, but Romans have not joined in the party as much- many of these maps with more LoS blockers and skinny roads don't favor their formation.
You forgot the part where I beat Joe's trons with my gruts.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; March 7th, 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: It's a good thing I'm a humble guy.
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:57 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Zettian Guards at B-? I swear I saw them at like D a few months ago. Am I missing something big about them?
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Zettian Guards at B-? I swear I saw them at like D a few months ago. Am I missing something big about them?
Not really. Having said that, it isn't so much that they're bad as that they have a low offensive output. You can build decent armies containing them. Try:

Taelord 180
Torin 120
Raelin 80
Zetacron 60
Marro Warriors 50
Zettian Guard 70
Deathreavers 40
600/15

Order Marker management will be a minor pain, but you have a fairly tough defensive nut that you can force your opponent to attempt to crack which could very well leave you the ZG as your end game clean up force against enemies that simply can't scratch their paint.

~Aldin, playing the "every dog has his day" game

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:19 PM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Not really. Having said that, it isn't so much that they're bad as that they have a low offensive output. You can build decent armies containing them. Try:

Taelord 180
Torin 120
Raelin 80
Zetacron 60
Marro Warriors 50
Zettian Guard 70
Deathreavers 40
600/15

Order Marker management will be a minor pain, but you have a fairly tough defensive nut that you can force your opponent to attempt to crack which could very well leave you the ZG as your end game clean up force against enemies that simply can't scratch their paint.

~Aldin, playing the "every dog has his day" game
Lol that's one big force just to make the zettian's usable! To be frank, I think most "less viable" units are going to be decent in an army with rae, tae, and rats (and nothing personal against you or your post, aldin, just to be clear). I like to use them occasionally, and I'm not expecting a grade change for them, but I'm not convinced they earn a B-, especially when that's in the same class as thorgrim and kelda, both of whom I've seen on my table plenty of times more than the zettians
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:08 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

To be cute, I think Hendal used them in day 2 at GenCon in his mostly-stinger army a year or two ago.

Their stats aren't terrible. If they were common, they'd be oddly decent, I think.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Yep, Hendal was one win away from hoisting the trophy with Zettians in 2009, but Mattser's ratpodge took him down.
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:22 PM

Well I guess they're better than I thought. I think the best I've ever seen them do is killing two squads of phantom knights at the end of a game ftw... And I was the one fielding the PKs, none the less. But most of the time, I see them die often to the MW or stingers rolling two skulls
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:30 PM

kampfer Woo who?

I am kind of interested to see a wave-by-wave analysis of this...
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer View Post
I've seen something like that before, just dig around.

Quote:
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer View Post
Here's a recent one...

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=39082

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion