Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old June 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Tor-Kul-Na

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafkaesque View Post
Stompy usually stays alive long enough to go through about half the ranged units, though. 6 life 5 defense can't be taken down in 1 round. He gets worse with Nagrubs. I don't fear ranged squads much, unless I have to charge some 4th or 10th.
While he USUALLY stays around long enough, I just had a game where boosted Protectors of Ullar, took him out in one turn. They flew and got height, the first Protector got 2 wounds (Failed defense roll), then the second one got 6 skulls! (I got one lousy shield.)
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcglkn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafkaesque View Post
Stompy usually stays alive long enough to go through about half the ranged units, though. 6 life 5 defense can't be taken down in 1 round. He gets worse with Nagrubs. I don't fear ranged squads much, unless I have to charge some 4th or 10th.
While he USUALLY stays around long enough, I just had a game where boosted Protectors of Ullar, took him out in one turn. They flew and got height, the first Protector got 2 wounds (Failed defense roll), then the second one got 6 skulls! (I got one lousy shield.)
That sounds more like bad dice than anything else, and the Protectors love defense whiffs.

Ironically, I think the ranged squad TKN fears the most is Stingers. Well-played 10th are no picnic either.
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

I wonder if playing the Warforged with TKN might help get around the problem of people placing their figures in non Stompable locations.

You'd have to play the warforged smartly so that after you're done tactical switching, not only are your opponents in a stompable locatoin, but so they can't move out of such a location without a leaving engagement strike.

In theory it might work, but it's probably diffiuclt to execute successfully in practice.
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
I wonder if playing the Warforged with TKN might help get around the problem of people placing their figures in non Stompable locations.

You'd have to play the warforged smartly so that after you're done tactical switching, not only are your opponents in a stompable locatoin, but so they can't move out of such a location without a leaving engagement strike.

In theory it might work, but it's probably diffiuclt to execute successfully in practice.
I like the idea in principle, but I have a hard time conceiving of a competitive double-blind tournament army where it would come in handy. Both Warforged and TKN+Grubs are rather pricey - with only three squads of Warforged and three squads of Nagrubs, you're already at 550. And while TKN does solve the Warforged' Braxas problem, there are several figures that both struggle against.

The chainfighter is a cheap alternative, but given that he only moves one figure, he's more useful as a way to drag a medium hero into TKN's path than a way to deal with entrenched commons.
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:

I like the idea in principle, but I have a hard time conceiving of a competitive double-blind tournament army where it would come in handy. Both Warforged and TKN+Grubs are rather pricey - with only three squads of Warforged and three squads of Nagrubs, you're already at 550. And while TKN does solve the Warforged' Braxas problem, there are several figures that both struggle against.

The chainfighter is a cheap alternative, but given that he only moves one figure, he's more useful as a way to drag a medium hero into TKN's path than a way to deal with entrenched commons.
I think you're right. Probably not the best army to consider for a double blind tourny, though I bet it would be a lot of fun to play.

I considered the chainfighter (or the Wyvern with some spiders), but ruled them out due to them being able to move only 1 opponent figure per turn.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:11 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:

I think you're right. Probably not the best army to consider for a double blind tourny, though I bet it would be a lot of fun to play.

I considered the chainfighter (or the Wyvern with some spiders), but ruled them out due to them being able to move only 1 opponent figure per turn.
The Warforged switcheroo might work if you use the WF on OM3, and hope for an Initiative Switch to activate T-K-N first the next round...

But the Chainfighters are better in a that by moving a single target (most likely a hero), you can select one that are fun too, doesn't have any more OM's on it and therefore won't be moved until after it can be stomped.

Old March 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Okay, I figured that this is a more appropriate place to post this question than the Question Dump, as it in no way pertains to the official rules or even game-play: Does anyone know the name of that marro beast Tor-Kul-Na rides.

My brother, my son and I are playtesting a custom army card which represents the riderless monster, and I'd love to properly name it!

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:54 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Okay, I figured that this is a more appropriate place to post this question than the Question Dump, as it in no way pertains to the official rules or even game-play: Does anyone know the name of that marro beast Tor-Kul-Na rides.

My brother, my son and I are playtesting a custom army card which represents the riderless monster, and I'd love to properly name it!
There is no official name for Tor-Kul-Na's ride. You could make up your own name as you see fit.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadliest Warrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post

There is no official name for Tor-Kul-Na's ride. You could make up your own name as you see fit.
That's what we've done. CirJohn did the mod to the figure, so he got to name it: Ur-Drak-Na, a marro beast gone rogue with the wild influence of Valkrill!

Okay, so we're workin' on it!

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

Yeah, also there can be more than one of those gigantic marro so, get creative!

Creator of Nowdays.
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Jonny Jon is surprisingly tart

I really had a high opinion of tor-kul-na. He had done decent for me the few times I'd used him but I played my friend last night who used the beast. He got mowed down by range on small hills where he could not move up enough to trample stomp. My 10th regiment massacred him with only 2 losses. And he didn't roll that bad either. Although, my focus on Tor-kul-na allowed him to grab the 2 glyphs which really allowed him to take out a full squad of my 10th (along with some poor rolling by me) in 2 turns with 0 losses using nagrubs and marro drudge.

*you can skip all that, just remember - Tor-kul-na has a ton of potential to kill, but none of it is on narrow elevations.

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jon View Post
*you can skip all that, just remember - Tor-kul-na has a ton of potential to kill, but none of it is on narrow elevations.
Or, in other words (pictures?)

GOOD

BAD

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units