Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Sports: NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I think the Ray McDonald situation is much easier for the NFL and for the 49ers. From day 1, there has been a clear and unwavering message from the Niners that they have zero tolerance for domestic abuse and that they have full respect for the process of law. As long as they act decisively once the results of the investigation come out, I suspect they will satisfy the virtual mob.
Interestingly, it looks like now the outlier will be the 49ers, as both the Vikings and the Panthers prepare to sit their respective criminal defendants under something called the "Commissioner's Exemption," where you can get separated from the team but still get paid. It's similar to what they do with police officers accused of misbehavior in Baltimore, and I suspect elsewhere also.

It's a reasonable outcome, and I'm guessing the result of pressure from the league, but it's unfortunate that it appears to be the product of deals in smoky back rooms. Hopefully it will all lead to (a) consistency in NFL discipline (too late for Rice), (b) fans being able to follow what's going on, and (c) an opportunity for the league to put its very best foot forward and address the social causes of domestic violence and child abuse. The NFL is an institution, and as an institution has the opportunity to be an engine of social change. It doesn't have to be, but it can be.

And while we're on the subject of Rice, the NFLPA has appealed his indefinite suspension and Goodell has recused himself from hearing the appeal. I anticipate, based on everything that happened both before and after he was suspended indefinitely, and based on the policies both unwritten and written regarding domestic violence, his suspension will be reduced. I don't expect any team to rush to sign him, once he is eligible to play again, but (as others have said) that's because of diminished skills & not his brush with the law.

edit: The preceding post contains more than a little wishful thinking, in which I assume that the NFL, by taking a more structured approach to these discipline issues, is also prepared to take a more consistent and prudent approach to same. It could be a complete fantasy on my part. Fantasy football, you might say.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Old September 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

DS,

I've been following it and I'm not sure the Ray McDonald situation is as much of an outlier as it might seem. All we have there at this point is an accusation. There's no video, no admission of guilt on McDonald's part, no findings against him, no deals made.

I think the Niners COULD have suspended him when the news came out, pending a resolution. Since they didn't, I think it is wise NOT to change their stance on it. Now, when the results of the investigation hit, they have all of their options in front of them.

The thing that bothers me most about it is my suspicion that if it had been a more marginal player - say Kaseem Osgood - he'd be gone. On the other hand, I kinda sadly recognize that's just reality. All aminals are equal, but some aminals are more equal than others.

~Aldin, delaying the rush to judgment

Aldin is Jorhdawn...
in the
EIHAZ KEEP...
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Reading your post, Aldin, I remembered McDonald may not have been charged yet. Is that right? If so, that would explain why he's not getting the same treatment.

These are not like NFL suspensions, by the way. They separate the player from the team but the player continues to get paid.

Old September 17th, 2014, 02:23 PM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Correct, he has not been charged. I hesitate to say "yet" because it assumes he will be. My opinion is that he did it and that the investigation will turn up some evidence and they'll rightly kick him off the team, but I'm okay with them waiting to get the facts before they act. Because I've been wrong before - for reference see Kaepernick, Colin and a certain incident in Florida that at first report sounded a lot worse than it really was.

With that incident in mind, actually, it is worth noting that the Niners seem to be doing a decent job of balancing team actions against player incidents. They've managed a potentially disastrous set of Aldon Smith incidents, weathered a false report against Kaepernick and are now taking a firm position with respect to McDonald. I wouldn't say they're perfect, but I am impressed at their ability to dance with it all.

~Aldin, out of his legal depth

Aldin is Jorhdawn...
in the
EIHAZ KEEP...
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

Update:

Here's what MMQB columnist Peter King had to say about McDonald in a recent column
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter King
Many will ask: Why isn’t Ray McDonald subject to the same sanction? McDonald, the San Francisco defensive end, was accused of assaulting his pregnant fiancée on Aug. 31 in California. McDonald, however, has not had his day in court yet. The Rice evidence has been seen by the world, through the video obtained by TMZ. Though Hardy still could be cleared in the jury trial, a judge heard testimony from both sides in his case and found him guilty. In the Peterson case, he admitted whipping his child. McDonald has admitted nothing, and he has stridently told the 49ers he is not guilty of the charges. Until a court hears evidence, or until McDonald admits guilt, it’s unlikely the league will step in.
That’s the slippery slope of due process. It has not played out with finality in the Peterson or Hardy cases, but there’s enough evidence for the league to act. Due process has not played out at all in the McDonald case, so he plays on—and in my opinion he should.
~Aldin, sharingly

Aldin is Jorhdawn...
in the
EIHAZ KEEP...
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010 & 2011

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

This is not an original thought of mine, but one of the interesting things about this scandal is that it has made it clear which reporters thrive on "access" and therefore bend over backwards to paint the NFL in a good light. Peter King, in my mind, has been severely tarnished by the incident where he rescinded his own reporting that the NFL had seen the second Ray Rice video after it became clear that that was something the NFL was explicitly denying. In my mind, at this point, he's a league spokesman with only a thin veneer of unbiased reporting.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Aldin, I saw that piece yesterday and thought of you. Makes sense to me!

Down goes Dwyer!

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

@dok Who wants unbiased reporting anyhow? Even Vulcans get their pon farr on!

~Aldin, believing it is impossible to genuinely care about something and simultaneously be neutral about it (unless the thing you care about is neutrality, I suppose - but then you'd advocate neutrality - which isn't really a neutral position)

Aldin is Jorhdawn...
in the
EIHAZ KEEP...
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010 & 2011

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

There's a distinction between having an opinion - which is fine - and actually withholding or manipulating the information you report to serve the interests of the people you are reporting on.

I have no problem with Peter King editorializing in his columns. I have a big problem with him basically dissembling in an effort to align with the NFL's bogus cover story. That's what he did, AFAICT.