Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old August 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Dungeons and Dragons!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Hmmmm ... let me see if I can sum up the objections here:
  • They're coming out with new figures, but they're not the figures I want!
  • In these uncertain economic times, they're saving money by reusing scuplts we've never had before??? What a bunch of cheap bastards!
  • We're going to have "dark" elves? I don't want my game to be "dark"! Get rid of these things and let's go back to our kid-friendly figures like vampires and zombies!
  • I don't know anything about D&D, but I heard people that play it are dorks. I don't want to be a dork!
  • I've never played D&D, but I met some D&D players once, and they take their game way too seriously! I couldn't deal with that! I want HS players to just play casually, like all the people here at 'Scapers!
  • I think D&D is some sort of "role playing" thing ... I don't really know what "role playing" is, but I sure don't want my favorite game to have it!
  • These new sculpts are crappy looking, so that means this new master set will suck! Let's go back to our great HS sculpts, like the Nakita Agents and Tul-Bak-Ra!
  • These new sculpts just won't fit in with our current figures of Minute Men, knights, werewolves, dragons, giant robots, Indiana Jones, elves, cowboys, aliens, ninjas, agents from the Matrix, Vikings, and ghosts!
  • I guess I'm okay with D&D figures in HS, but if the word in the bottom left on the side of the card that I never use isn't what I expect it to be, then no way!
  • We haven't had new HS stuff in so long that I've been denied my traditional opportunity to proclaim the death of Heroscape! Thank goodness we finally have new stuff again! THE END IS NIGH! THE END IS NIGH!
Seriously, are you people even listening to yourselves? I love you all (well, most of you, anyway), but really. Calm down. Go back and read what you wrote. Try to remember when you're insulting those crazy D&D players that a) many of your greatest friends here played it or still play it, and b) you just said you don't know anything about D&D. (I love those posts that start out with "I've never really played D&D, but I get the impression ..." Seriously? you're throwing fits based on an impression?) Try to remember that, as someone here wisely pointed out, someone has found something to complain about in every single HS product ever released. Go back and count all the times that the death of HS has been predicted and compare it to the number of times HS has actually died. And, mainly, just chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
There is a really good psychology term paper in here somewhere. ... some of reasons that people are coming up with for dissing the set are just...well....out there.
Amen, brother.
Thought it would be worth reposting Xotli's comments. Very well said.

I personally think there are two somewhat credible complaints/issues:

1) That the figs just don't match in size, style, etc. It looks to me like in the specific case at hand that they tried hard to find figures that do get pretty close. I think if we didn't know they were repaints, we'd just feel like WotC had adjusted the theme ever so slightly. (I see the differences, yes; but I'm not turned off by them as of yet. I trust that time was spent trying to do this as well as possible.)

2) That this could spell drift away from some of Heroscape's core aspects (like the genre-blending--Earth/historical units, Alpha Prime/sci-fi, etc.). But honestly it seems way too soon for us to stress over that. As has been said, let's see what Wave 11 brings. (Of course, there is a good chance Wave 11 might not have been at all, w/o this, but that too is just my speculation.)

I'm looking at this as a nice way to expand Heroscape and help Wizards connect with our game and make it more of their own--help them feel more attached to it and interested in it.

Assuming that they keep working on the long term plan that CVN handed over to them and keep people like Truth and GBob on the team, I think we'll find that a lot of what we love about Heroscape will be staying put.

As I said elsewhere, I am hoping that Drows will be a gateway to finally getting Mariedians. If that happens, I think we scored.

For now I'm going to chill, as Xotli recommended, and enjoy some Scape this evening.
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx View Post
Hmm...the figures and size look fine to me. If I had one complaint, it would be the drow that is so short that it looks like a hobbit. But otherwise, I just don't see a real problem here.

If the figures look fine and they look believably sized, I'm not going to vent.

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that people will make custom units out of essentially the same figures and play with them as if they were official, but then they shun WotC for doing it in a way that may actually help Heroscape's future? I'm starting to think that too many Scapers are like the "Literati" to books.

-scorp
No irony at all. I created those customs during a "dry spell" many years ago. I only played with them a few times (probably solo games) and then stopped using them for the very reasons I am complaining about the new release. I gave it a try, and it just didn't work for me.

I did read somewhere that D&D slightly increased the scale sometime in 2006 or 2007. If this is the case, then maybe half of the problem is resolved. I have not yet seen a picture of the "new" repainted D&D figs next to Heroscape figs, only originals. Some extra thick paint could help beef them up a bit. I just have a problem when a knight looks like he could have his butt handed to him by Kyntela Gwyn.

By the way, I have those drow, and yes, they are tiny little guys. Maybe the card says they are children. After all, the black dragon is "young".
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:00 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx View Post
Hmm...the figures and size look fine to me. If I had one complaint, it would be the drow that is so short that it looks like a hobbit. But otherwise, I just don't see a real problem here.

If the figures look fine and they look believably sized, I'm not going to vent.

Also, does anyone else find it ironic that people will make custom units out of essentially the same figures and play with them as if they were official, but then they shun WotC for doing it in a way that may actually help Heroscape's future? I'm starting to think that too many Scapers are like the "Literati" to books.

-scorp
No irony at all. I created those customs during a "dry spell" many years ago. I only played with them a few times (probably solo games) and then stopped using them for the very reasons I am complaining about the new release. I gave it a try, and it just didn't work for me.

I did read somewhere that D&D slightly increased the scale sometime in 2006 or 2007. If this is the case, then maybe half of the problem is resolved. I have not yet seen a picture of the "new" repainted D&D figs next to Heroscape figs, only originals. Some extra thick paint could help beef them up a bit. I just have a problem when a knight looks like he could have his butt handed to him by Kyntela Gwyn.

By the way, I have those drow, and yes, they are tiny little guys. Maybe the card says they are children. After all, the black dragon is "young".
Oh, I wasn't calling anyone out specifically (I didn't even know that you made customs, no offense.) Nor do I have a problem with customs. It just annoys me that various people frown upon (albeit viable) Scape becuse the sculpts are recognizable from somewhere else. I find it much more preferrable to no Scape at all, and if this is what they can do for the time being, than lets praise them for that fact.

Oh, and don't diss Kyntella Gwin! She's a soccer elf, so she can leg press like ten thousand pounds, and can easily crush most iron clad knights.

And this is to all who ever said that Heroscape was going to turn into DnD: man these people were ignorant and jumped the gun. I guess that I'll go turn my local Pasta House into a Burger King now!

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I wonder if any of those Dark Elves will be Elf Wizards....?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I wonder if any of those Dark Elves will be Elf Wizards....?
Doubt it, but a darklord would be really cool, imo...

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Star Wolf is surprisingly tart

Holy crap. Utgar is getting his third dragon(maybe).
That is if you count su-bak-na.

Star Wolf's scenarios

Q9-"I'm poor, I need more points. Please won't you help me?"

Taelord-"BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........................NO!"
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Teamski is surprisingly tart

I personally love the idea of D&D in the Heroscape world. We get some new dungeon rules and new figs. I'm a happy camper!!

-Ski
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm tired of all the back and forth speculation, support, and critisium.

DnD scape is here, or it will be in Feb. Accept it or don't.

See the first line in my sig, that sums it all up.

I worry about the impact that this may have on the tourny scene, but thats an issue for another time.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Then you my friend are in the wrong thread!

Paul promised us debate, and boy did WotC deliver!
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Then you my friend are in the wrong thread!

Paul promised us debate, and boy did WotC deliver!
Right on both counts.

Bye the bye, we live so close to one another, we should get together for some 'scape!!

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Bam Bam

b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby! b57123m rolls all skulls baby!

can anyone sum up what dungeon crawl is???

I have grown to dislike my username choice but am too far into this to change it now. BamBam57 makes me feel less like a robot. So I shall refer to myself as that.

Old August 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b57123m View Post
can anyone sum up what dungeon crawl is???
Heroes vs. monsters in a dungeon type setting (i.e. DnD, Dungeon, HeroQuest, Descent...you name it).

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News