Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 26th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
How to Save Heroscape

We have the power to insulate ourselves from the shock of Heroscape getting discontinued, if such an disappointing event ever occurs. Unless we take action to ensure that this game has a potential for life after the plug gets pulled, then I fear that we will have to watch as interest slowly fades and the hardcore fans are the only people keeping this game alive. So, Gulpatron, what can we do? I'm glad you asked.

We have to make Heroscape OUR game. Wizards of the Coast is doing a fantastic job of customer support, but we have to 'steal' the game in spirit. Before the sad day of Heroscape's death is ever announced, we need to already be using customs in 'official' tournaments. I ask the people who are already cringing to look at the success of the open-source trends and what open-source can do to greatly improve programs and games. All acceptable customs would be either repaints of RotV or SotM sets, or they would be easily available figures on the market such as D&D minis. The approved customs would be playtested by us and eventually a committee similar to the BoV would release a final version of a card. Suddenly we would be in control of when a new customs wave is released.

WotC would no longer be responsible for maintaining Heroscape, but minis WotC produces for other games would probably be adopted, and surely some accountant is going to notice that. WotC would need to modernize their business model to work as a life support system for a game we've commandeered, just as we would need to modernize our view of Heroscape.

The sophistication of online communities such as Heroscapers.com allows us to have a very profound effect on the future of Heroscape. While some here may have some valid reservations about such a transition, I would be surprised to find out that we cannot find solutions to problems that may arise. We have lots of bright minds and wide channels of communication, and we've got a great game that deserves to be given the best chance of surviving death. Even though WotC is a great boost for HS, we cannot allow accountants and executives to decide the future of this game. Let's be prepared. Let's expand what is 'official.'

In summary, I'm asking Truth and the gang to use Heroscapers.com to make Heroscape a model of a game that can no longer be killed by corporate decision. I'm asking for customs not only to be utilized but for a committee like BoV to approve them for use in official tournaments. I'm asking for regional groups like NESA and OVAH to lead the maturing of Heroscape by organizing groups of scapers around new concepts of gameplay. Let's save Heroscape now, while it is easy.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: How to Save Heroscape

No.
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:57 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've seen games inferior to Heroscape live on for years well beyond their discontinuation through custom expansions, etc.

I have a lot of faith in this community to do the same - and then some.

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weirdscaper View Post
No.

I might have to agree with the good doctor here.
  1. I'm not buying random purchse with hopes of getting a single figure
  2. Let WotC do their thing when/if it dies, then we take it ourselves.
  3. If we need something to tell WotC to keep goin, we've got it. In fact, I quoted it in this post. That's right, Dr. W. We'll just show them all of his maps, and some other extreme map builders too, and they will realize it's a profitable market.
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I hate to jump in right away, but before someone else misreads my post I'll try to address EP's misunderstanding (or possibly mine). My responses are in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
  1. I'm not buying random purchse with hopes of getting a single figure I did not suggested this. If there just simply is not an option on the minis market that does not require blind purchases, then I will see the problem.
  2. Let WotC do their thing when/if it dies, then we take it ourselves.
  3. If we need something to tell WotC to keep goin, we've got it. In fact, I quoted it in this post. That's right, Dr. W. We'll just show them all of his maps, and some other extreme map builders too, and they will realize it's a profitable market. I wish that would work, but I think they just look at the receipts.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

Old July 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
No.
What he said.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:00 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Right now there's no indication of death, so why don't we wait until we have proof.

I think 'Scape will be here for a while yet, so don't worry.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I like the idea of having us, here at heroscapers, design figure's stats and submit them to game designers (like what you said about a similar system to BoV could be made), but I don't like using other game's figures and make them official heroscape units. But it's a nice thought, Gulp.

It would be cool if WotC submited different sculpts to us and members could make cards for them and the best approved one would get made, but that wouldn't solve the problem.
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:10 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising View Post
Quote:
No.
What he said.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby!

Yes.

Gulp, I think this is a great idea. I realize that many people may not support this, and I wouldn't support allowing customs in a tournament, but this isn't exactly saying we should allow all customs. What makes this thought a gem is that there would be a board of judges which would allow only "endorsed" customs.

Think of how well the BoV idea has benefited the community. I have played virtually all of the BoV maps and they are excellent. They are noticeably better than most maps that I download. The reason is that we have a committee of notable heroscapers who are in-the-know with what mechanics make this game so superb.

If we had the same or a similar group of judges approve certain customs, then we would always have a new wave of releases. People could submit a custom card along with a repaint or other game mini which falls within a certain agreed upon criteria (size, scale, etc.), the Committee proxies out the custom for play testing, votes on it and decides if its in or out.
Upon approval, the person who submits the custom simply posts "how to" or "where to find" the new fig and we can all go get it if we'd like. Approved customs could be released or "revealed" in waves just like the current figs.

This might be a fantastic way to keep the community strong once the game is no longer being produced. Why not?

+rep
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Good is Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I like the idea of having us, here at heroscapers, design figure's stats and submit them to game designers (like what you said about a similar system to BoV could be made), but I don't like using other game's figures and make them official heroscape units. But it's a nice thought, Gulp.

It would be cool if WotC submited different sculpts to us and members could make cards for them and the best approved one would get made, but that wouldn't solve the problem.
Thanks Cleon. I appreciate you taking the time to actually contribute to the thread instead of just typing 'no'.

Old July 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Tribesofwar knows what's in an order marker Tribesofwar knows what's in an order marker

I agree that it is an interesting idea, in the event that Heroscape does go six feet under. But unfortunately without an official presence I think that the game would slowly falter and become, dare I say, just another board game. I'm sure Heroscape is in no immediate danger of getting axed. So instead of looking to Nostradamus to see when the end is coming, we should be finding ways of making sure it doesn't. On a side Note if this situation were to occur the only problem is no new players due to no new terrain. While it might be fun for awhile, I don't believe it would survive much longer without the official support. Just my random thinkings

Last edited by Tribesofwar; July 26th, 2008 at 04:04 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion