Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old September 19th, 2022, 07:05 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: VirtualScape 1.070 available

I'm curious if anyone knows how to add assets and terrain types to VS without recompiling it. I'm thinking ahead to AoA coming out and us not having any means to design maps using all the new stuff. In theory AH may eventually create their own map tool... Once they know the game is successful. I would guess we're at least a couple years out from such a tool actually being released to users.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 19th, 2022, 09:03 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've been tooting this horn for years. An updated version of VS that allowed you to add terrain types and items more easily would be a boon.

As is, TTS is a better map building program for everything except sharing the build instructions.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 19th, 2022, 05:20 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
As is, TTS is a better map building program for everything except sharing the build instructions.
I hadn't actually looked at the TTS process before; after reading A3n's original post on it and looking at a couple of videos, I think there might be a programmatic solution to generating the build instructions, if someone wanted to put the effort into deciphering that data format. Still, another issue that strikes me is that TTS doesn't seem to have any concept of sets, which means that a lot (maybe even all) maps are built without any concern for how much terrain it would actually take to build it. Where that especially comes into play is for using pieces that will be completely covered by pieces on higher levels: in VS, you can force yourself to use only the terrain types from sets you're already using anyway, or even leave gaps to maximize the number of visible pieces. In TTS, it seems like you just use WTFever you feel like, so a direct translation of the data might end up producing build instructions that are essentially impossible to build in the real world without people making on-the-fly adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 19th, 2022, 06:55 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Very true on it not calculating sets at all. Though it *would* be possible to pre-bag sets of terrain and track set use that way if someone were so inclined.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 20th, 2022, 12:07 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Very true on it not calculating sets at all. Though it *would* be possible to pre-bag sets of terrain and track set use that way if someone were so inclined.
Oof, that sounds time consuming!

--

I have explored recompiling VirtualScape, but some of the APIs it uses are so old and outdated that I had trouble figuring out how to *change* anything. We really need a low-level graphics programmer (someone who can make sense of things like OpenGL APIs in C) to work on this. I'll try to set aside some time in the next few months to look at the code again and see if I can figure out where the assets are even coming from. Maybe there's a way to add new assets and set configs without recompiling (that would be ideal).

--
--
--

--
Old September 20th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Oof, that sounds time consuming!

--

I have explored recompiling VirtualScape, but some of the APIs it uses are so old and outdated that I had trouble figuring out how to *change* anything. We really need a low-level graphics programmer (someone who can make sense of things like OpenGL APIs in C) to work on this. I'll try to set aside some time in the next few months to look at the code again and see if I can figure out where the assets are even coming from. Maybe there's a way to add new assets and set configs without recompiling (that would be ideal).
And maybe while you are at it, you could add textures to the hexes so it's easier to tell them apart. As I'm learning recently during the Marvel contest, rock, asphalt, and concrete and snow look very similar to each other when they're right next to each other.
Old January 10th, 2023, 08:53 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
All my VS files have converted to French, my saved maps disappeared, and when I tried to download the English version it loaded in French. It also crashes everytime I try to make a 3d rendering. Anyone ever have the same issue?
I recently got a new PC, re-downloaded Virtualscape in English and am encountering a couple of the same issues - the program is in French and it crashes when I attempt to render. The French thing I can live with as it gives me a chance to exercise my old high school French skills, but not being able to render is a bummer - sharing maps on Heroscapers is a lot less fun without pictures.
Old January 10th, 2023, 08:57 PM

You can screenshot a map build on Tabletop Simulator (TTS).

Old January 10th, 2023, 09:06 PM

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

You mean design the map in VS, duplicate the build on TTS and screenshot it? Yeah, that sounds like a decent workaround. Thanks!
Old January 10th, 2023, 09:20 PM

And save it on TTS to share and play on there as well!

Old January 11th, 2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I recently got a new PC, re-downloaded Virtualscape in English and am encountering a couple of the same issues - the program is in French and it crashes when I attempt to render. The French thing I can live with as it gives me a chance to exercise my old high school French skills, but not being able to render is a bummer - sharing maps on Heroscapers is a lot less fun without pictures.
Search for the `.ini` file and post the contents here. I'm not sure about the rendering issue, but I might be able to help with the French bit.

--
--
--

--
Old January 11th, 2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Search for the `.ini` file and post the contents here. I'm not sure about the rendering issue, but I might be able to help with the French bit.
I appreciate it caps, but this Luddite will need more hand holding than that. What exactly should I be searching my computer for, Virtualscape.ini ? Then what?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software