Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 18th, 2009, 06:42 AM

primal has disabled reputation
The Silent End to something that I love.

Hello everyone.
I am in dire need of someone to prove me wrong.
I have the horrible impression that Heroscape is dying a slow and agonizing death. Without the support this great game used to get from its former manufacturer, it seems like everything has gone into a tailspin around the boardgame toilet drain. This really breaks my heart because I love Heroscape. I got a new player to come to our game this past weekend and He liked it and wants to play again. "I have never heard of this game" and "can you buy it in stores?" are questions that I have heard time and again. for a game with seemingly endless expansion, it looks like the "idea valve" is being squeezed tight and the expansion is about about as fast as maple syrup in freezing weather. I used to visit this website at least once a day and now I probably visit once a month - I dont feel the excitement of impending releases or any buzz whatsoever.
this really sucks because Heroscape is an excellent game.
I am sad that guys are excited to find wave two and three. how did it get this freaking bad?
when/if a next wave comes out I will buy it and everything else that gets released for Heroscape but will anything else come out?
I don't care for the free-fall that the game is experiencing.

please prove me wrong, help me see the light at the end of the tunnel- help me get excited about Heroscape again and the possibilities of a limitless game with new armies and terrain.
thanks for the catharsis.

the North Carolina Semi-Hex Annual Skirmish. old school style.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The Silent End to something that I love.

Gloom and doom... yadda yadda yadda...

Wave 9 is confirmed for this summer.

-insert signature here-
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker

What Nyys said.

Wave 9 is this summer.

Thousands of active players across the country.

Hundreds of active players on this site alone. Thousands of custom terrains/figures, ideas, maps, strategies, and hundreds of local clubs through this same site.

It's fine. Even if all product disappeared tomorrow there is enough here on Truth's site as of today (let alone what will be added in the future.) to keep going for years upon years. Much to my wife's distress.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.

Last edited by Purplebeard; January 18th, 2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebeard View Post
Much to my wife's distress.
Same here.

-insert signature here-
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Gloom and doom... yadda yadda yadda...

Wave 9 is confirmed for this summer.
Which is true, but any information as to releasing waves 1,4,5, the flag bearers and or the terrain sets is lacking. For this to be a truely non-collectable game system, which is what it is billed as, the manufacturer has to do reprints of stuff that sells out. Is WOTC going to do this or not? I did not get into this game until just before this past Thanksgiving when another person put on a demo at a local store. I have now aquired all that I want of master sets and boosters from wave's 2,3,6,7,8. Do I now start trying to collect the rest off of ebay or do I wait till my local stores get it in? No one has told us the answer to this question. Three stores in my area are now saying that they can not get any Heroscape in, or just Mastersets. I used to run the gaming section of a hobby shop and you can not keep the players interest with no stock and no firm answer as to when you will be able to sell them something.

“Flores died on the way up." Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Upshaw View Post
Which is true, but any information as to releasing waves 1,4,5, the flag bearers and or the terrain sets is lacking. For this to be a truely non-collectable game system, which is what it is billed as, the manufacturer has to do reprints of stuff that sells out. Is WOTC going to do this or not? I did not get into this game until just before this past Thanksgiving when another person put on a demo at a local store. I have now aquired all that I want of master sets and boosters from wave's 2,3,6,7,8. Do I now start trying to collect the rest off of ebay or do I wait till my local stores get it in? No one has told us the answer to this question. Three stores in my area are now saying that they can not get any Heroscape in, or just Mastersets. I used to run the gaming section of a hobby shop and you can not keep the players interest with no stock and no firm answer as to when you will be able to sell them something.
Has there ever been a lot of info on upcoming rereleases? I haven't been playing that long, but it seems as though stuff just starts to show up. You might argue that's not a good way to run a business, but you can't extrapolate from that to some sort of gloom and doom scenario. Actually, I think your post is quite funny on one level - you've got as much wave 2 as you want, but it was only a few months ago that they were going for ridiculous premiums on eBay too, before being rereleased in November. Wave 3 was a similar situation.

Just take a deep breath. It's going to be ok.
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Here's something to consider.

Everything's in free fall. The economy tanked. The Chinese lead paint debacle screwed up a lot of toy manufacturers. Toys R Us and KB are pretty much gone. WizKids exploded.

Yet Wave 9 is still slated to come out this summer. That says something to me. There might be life left in this game once the dust settles and WotC realizes that they've got a kickass product on their hands.

No matter what though, there's tons of great stuff out already, and plenty to enjoy. I think that even when it does eventually die, there are people on this site that'll keep it going in some form or another for awhile. Just look at Heroquest. I think this one's like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:29 PM

kpotassiumk19 is surprisingly tart

I have a couple friends who just started to play and they like it but they don't look to interested in spending money to buy expansions. Usually they just borrow figures.

Creationist actually showed Heroscpe for the first time 2 years ago and I like it so I hope they will like it, too
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

primal, if you like the game so much then why not just play it and enjoy it while you can? There's little to be gained from bemoaning the state of things, but you could spend that time and effort finding new ways to enjoy what you've got.

If, as your post indicates, you get most of your satisfaction from new units, then this might not be the game for you. They've scaled back, like just about everyone else has, and that's just the facts of the matter.

I agree with Jexik that the proposed Wave 9 in the summer bodes very well for the franchise. Given that so many other companies and products have contracted and shut down new growth as they try to weather the current economic storm, any company that is trying new things is great in my book.

Old January 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Biggie is surprisingly tart
Unhappy Re: The Silent End to something that I love.

We only have 5-8 months to go before wave 9. I guess anything could happen between now and then. Plenty of time to scrap the plans of wave 9. Wa Wa Waaaa. Just call me Biggie Downer! No, I'm sure it will be on time like they say it will.

It's just a "game"?
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

They have been very quiet about re-releases, in the one year I have been playing.
I would not be surprised if either wave 1 or 4 comes out somewhere between now and the re-lease of wave 9.

One thing that would surprise me though, would be if, in that time, we will get a whole two weeks without someone crying about the imminent death of Heroscape!
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

You want excitement? All we need is one fuzzy shelf photo and I can guarantee you a 100 page thread (Wizards, are you listening????).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion