Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 10th, 2010, 04:37 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Star Wars Custom Card template...

So I decided to design a Star Wars themed template for (funny enough) Star Wars customs. This started by Matt Helm wanting a Darth Vader card which, I'm sure he would have been happy to have on the Marvel card template but I decided it was a whole different universe & deserved it's own style. So here's what I did.

Things to do:
  • Tidy the top diagonal line, at the moment it is too jagged.
  • Make other factions versions.
  • Optimise template to make it usable for anybody else.

Questions:
  • Should I:
    1. Add the faction name under the characters name, ala classic scape?
    2. Add the faction name under the logo & above the character name - nothing wrong with being different? Or,
    3. Don't include faction names as the logos will be enough?
  • It was suggested that the coloured stats be changed as they were distracting from the overall card, so should I change these to just white?
  • The blood as the background for the Life stat was suggested as not consistent with the Star Wars theme. Blood is used on both versions (Classic & Marvel) as the background so should I change it on this Star Wars card & if so to what?

All C&C is welcomed & appreciated.

Cheers
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: Star Wars Custom Card template...

Some of my thoughts on the design that I made in Matt Helm's thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Two questions - why is his Attack stat line highlighted in red, and what's with the spotlight for his hitzone silhouette?
The stats are coloured as per the background colours they normally are on the official cards (Green, Grey, Red, Blue). I was attempting to make it look like the green holographic monitors so instead of having the separate coloured background I used separate colours for each of the stats text.

The spotlight is supposed to resemble the holographic projectors used in Star Wars. A little creative addition to add a bit of flavour - but if you didn't recognise it, I would say that I failed.

The whole objective I was aiming for was a whole new universe from Classic & Marvel Scape. Trying to maintain an overall thematic style whilst not drastically changing the layout. I saw this last part as crucial & the hardest obstacle in making something unique, but there are slight variations in the placement of the elements from classic scape to marvel scape so I took a little liberty here also.

Cheers
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Incredibly awesome! Once you finish the other factions, I'll just need you do a whole series of those cool hit zone images for all 17 million characters Or at least show us how you did it.
+rep

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:50 PM

NovaRaptor is surprisingly tart

This is some awesome work. I agree that Star Wars deserves their own custom card template. For your questions i suggest you try putting the faction in both spots and see what looks better. I would prefer the faction there somewhere. The stat box lettering should be white, so it's easier to read quickly. And you should keep the blood, it's been a constant so far. Love the card. Can't wait to see more.
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Great work buddy, I'm almost embarrassed to suggest any changes. As I said in my thread, I like the projection, like the different colored stat box (although I haven't checked how it looks when printed) and I'm fine with the blood stain.

But, if the blood stain turns out to be not so popular, it's probably because there isn't much blood in the Star Wars movies. How would it look as a burn mark? Maybe a dark red tinted version of a burn pattern on a Storm Troopers armor after he catches a "hello" from a blaster. Maybe that's crazy. What about a reddish explosion? Or a Red Giant star? Any way you go, I'll be good with it.

One bizarre thing I would consider is the watermark. Instead of a perfectly symetrical watermark in the center of the text, what if we tried a zoomed in version that only fits the upper right quadrant of the symbol? In other words, like a rainbow shape the watermark would reach from the left side wall to the bottom. In that way, it would kind of fill the same surface area that the hexes do on the Marvel cards.

As for the faction name, I'd probably like to see it on there under the character's name in smaller font.

Keep up the "genius" my man.
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Incredibly awesome! Once you finish the other factions, I'll just need you do a whole series of those cool hit zone images for all 17 million characters Or at least show us how you did it.
+rep
Yep once I have settled completely I will post the separate factions & then hopefully some instructions for achieving the hit zone look. I might have to call upon my friend Whitestuff to turn my photoshop instructions in to GIMP instructions to make it more available for all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaRaptor View Post
This is some awesome work. I agree that Star Wars deserves their own custom card template. For your questions i suggest you try putting the faction in both spots and see what looks better. I would prefer the faction there somewhere. The stat box lettering should be white, so it's easier to read quickly. And you should keep the blood, it's been a constant so far. Love the card. Can't wait to see more.
I am kind of leaning towards leaving the blood to be consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
Great work buddy, I'm almost embarrassed to suggest any changes. As I said in my thread, I like the projection, like the different colored stat box (although I haven't checked how it looks when printed) and I'm fine with the blood stain.
If anybody feels like printing it out let me know what you think. I kind of like the coloured stats & they look fine to me printed, but that may be because I am too close to the work & see what I want to see. Either way if I decide to go coloured text I won't have the stat text there at all that way people can use white if they choose.
Quote:
But, if the blood stain turns out to be not so popular, it's probably because there isn't much blood in the Star Wars movies. How would it look as a burn mark? Maybe a dark red tinted version of a burn pattern on a Storm Troopers armor after he catches a "hello" from a blaster. Maybe that's crazy. What about a reddish explosion? Or a Red Giant star? Any way you go, I'll be good with it.
I like the burn mark idea if more people believe the blood is too much out of the SW theme.
Quote:
One bizarre thing I would consider is the watermark. Instead of a perfectly symetrical watermark in the center of the text, what if we tried a zoomed in version that only fits the upper right quadrant of the symbol? In other words, like a rainbow shape the watermark would reach from the left side wall to the bottom. In that way, it would kind of fill the same surface area that the hexes do on the Marvel cards.
I love that idea, but not knowing all the factions yet have a little concern that the other factions won't look quite right if there was only part of the logo showing.
Quote:
As for the faction name, I'd probably like to see it on there under the character's name in smaller font.

Keep up the "genius" my man.
Will try that shortly, do you have a photo of the mini yet or a link to the correct one?

Cheers
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:52 AM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I like the burn mark idea if more people believe the blood is too much out of the SW theme.
While the blood looks cool, I feel it would be more appropiate in a horror setting than Star Wars.
Everything else about the template is awesome.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:04 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Yep once I have settled completely I will post the separate factions & then hopefully some instructions for achieving the hit zone look. I might have to call upon my friend Whitestuff to turn my photoshop instructions in to GIMP instructions to make it more available for all.
Don't think that I missed that...

As for the card, I like it. I might add a suggestion or two though...
  • I don't mind the coloured stats but the eye needs something to follow as it moves across from left to right. Maybe some of those embossed rectangles (like those under the targeting silhouette) could be used underneath the stat window...? Although the fine green lines may be enough...
  • The left stat box seems out of place. With the big triangles of brushed metal above and below it just seems... off. Perhaps get rid of the box and add a vertical set of the green brackets like the other stat box? That might make more thematic sense (but it might look awful as well, I'm just theorizing )
  • The projection lines from the projector to the projection would need to go to the figure's extremities. They wouldn't be seen if the projector doesn't throw there.
  • What is the silver disk in the middle at the bottom? I don't see any need/reason for it. If the brushed metal went straight down you would have more room for the abilities...
  • Having the blood splatter (I think the burn mark might be good) off to the right throws off the symmetry of the stat box... At least it should be above the points bit.
Reading this back, this all seems a bit critical, but it only a list of the things that I would do if it where me so, feel free to ignore them.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

This is a very cool template! I think the blood should stay as it is, for consistency. If you're planning on these being used for a large number of customs, I would agree with putting the faction name under the title, too.

You actually (unknowingly) took an idea I've been working on and took it to the extreme! The Star Wars template I've been working on is more "traditional" in that it is basically the Marvel template with a few minor changes. I also use the faction symbol behind the text, but larger, lower down, and it fades as it moves upward like the hex pattern on the official cards. I'm also trying to make the hitzone look like the holographic transmissions used in the movies (as opposed to the projection you used), but I haven't quite figured out how to make it look right yet. Besides that, mine don't change anything else. Yours is a like a work of art!
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Don't tell my boss, but I just printed the card out on a really nice laser printer at work.
Overall the card looks great.
A couple observations:
-IMO, the colors of the stat text look good. Very readable. The whole stat box sorta glows. Nice.
-The projection cone for the hit zone needs to be toned down a bit or the figure image needs more intensity. The two elements blend a little too much. Also, I'm assuming Vader's cape is not a hit zone as it's darker. If so, it could probably be just a bit darker to differentiate it more. (look at me gettin' all nitpicky! Who do I think I am?)
-Shading and highlights look great across the card.
-The blood spot, eh, I'm torn on that. The blood spot does keep that Heroscape theme, but...if you have time, it would be interesting to see the burn mark others have suggested.

Just my

But I'm still doing this and it's really beginning to annoy my co-workers!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Ok here's a few different things I have tried....

I am happy with the water mark - thanx GO for the idea of fading it also.
Not sure about the scorch mark. Still leaning towards blood.
Happier with the targeting projection, since adding more transparency to the beam & a second layer to the secondary lit parts (the cape & light sabre).
Happier with more transparency to the stat display.
Undecided about the extra squares & circle indents behind the stat display.
Undecided about positioning the faction name under the characters name.

I tried the blood & scorch mark in the middle aligned with the points box & it looked seriously crappy - which I attribute to the slope of the bulkhead behind it. (yes it is supposed to be some sort of bulkhead ).

I'm not sure about the idea of putting another virtual stat display for the left attributes box, & haven't the time this evening to play any further.

I'm reluctant to remove the droid interface (circle thing at the bottom) as that was another theme item on the card. As it stands I believe I have more text space than the official cards anyway. What do others think about the droid interface?

Anyway give your thoughts.

And thanx for the commentary on how it looks printed Mac122. Now that you mention the targeting icon I see your point & will darken it for the next version.

Cheers

Last edited by A3n; May 11th, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Love the "holographic" Hitzone!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards