Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old March 8th, 2024, 11:51 PM

Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker
Xiegfried's Customs

Officially started dipping my toes into creating customs, so figured I'd make a thread to contain both my concepts and some playtesting experiences. Feedback very much encouraged!

Active Playtesting
Spoiler Alert!
Old March 10th, 2024, 09:41 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Xiegfried's Customs

Cool design! A ranged option for the Acolytes of Vorganund is really interesting, and this sculpt really sells the idea of an "elevated" cultist.

My primary critique is that there doesn't seem to be much of a choice as to when Phostiem should throw Immolith's Trident. He's heavily encouraged to use the power early despite suffering much for doing so. Yes, he loses Range afterwards, but the Trident AoE damage effect is such a potent lockdown tool that it's completely worthwhile to hurl the Glyph into a chokepoint, next to a Power Glyph, or onto heights as soon as possible and watch opponents' figures decide between scrambling and losing board advantage or holding the area anyway and accepting the high likelihood of burning. Afterwards, it doesn't look like he has much to do until it's time to reposition the Trident, as Trident's Call ends the Glyph's lockdown effect, and 5L/3D can be almost too frail to risk in combat when Phostiem's demise removes the threat posed by his Trident. I would either make the Trident Glyph give Phostiem another buff while he's holding it, to make him hesitate before throwing it sometimes, or—because Demonic Pact is short and simple—give him a fourth special power that can be used equally well regardless of whether he holds the Glyph.

Also, I might change the last line of the Trident Glyph's effect to specify that the Glyph is only removed from the field when the Phostiem that placed it is destroyed. Otherwise, if multiple players are using Phostiem, one could interpret the effect as wiping all of their Tridents upon the destruction of any of their Phostiems.

Finally, strictly as a point of consistency, the Acolytes' homeworld is Eberron, so this guy should hail from the same place if he's supposed to be one.
Old March 10th, 2024, 10:44 PM

Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker Xiegfried knows what's in an order marker
Re: Xiegfried's Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Cool design! A ranged option for the Acolytes of Vorganund is really interesting, and this sculpt really sells the idea of an "elevated" cultist.

My primary critique is that there doesn't seem to be much of a choice as to when Phostiem should throw Immolith's Trident. He's heavily encouraged to use the power early despite suffering much for doing so. Yes, he loses Range afterwards, but the Trident AoE damage effect is such a potent lockdown tool that it's completely worthwhile to hurl the Glyph into a chokepoint, next to a Power Glyph, or onto heights as soon as possible and watch opponents' figures decide between scrambling and losing board advantage or holding the area anyway and accepting the high likelihood of burning. Afterwards, it doesn't look like he has much to do until it's time to reposition the Trident, as Trident's Call ends the Glyph's lockdown effect, and 5L/3D can be almost too frail to risk in combat when Phostiem's demise removes the threat posed by his Trident. I would either make the Trident Glyph give Phostiem another buff while he's holding it, to make him hesitate before throwing it sometimes, or—because Demonic Pact is short and simple—give him a fourth special power that can be used equally well regardless of whether he holds the Glyph.

Also, I might change the last line of the Trident Glyph's effect to specify that the Glyph is only removed from the field when the Phostiem that placed it is destroyed. Otherwise, if multiple players are using Phostiem, one could interpret the effect as wiping all of their Tridents upon the destruction of any of their Phostiems.

Finally, strictly as a point of consistency, the Acolytes' homeworld is Eberron, so this guy should hail from the same place if he's supposed to be one.

Appreciate the extensive feedback! In testing so far, he's definitely felt like a glass cannon and flounders a lot after throwing the Trident. I was hesitant to give him too much staying power initially because the glyph was a much nastier effect at first.

My initial concept was to keep him a bit cheaper than either Morgoloth or Corvor so he can slot into a similar point value range as a Skull Demon. I've been trying to suss out a good balance of survivability and threat level while keeping him more support-oriented. Maybe giving him a defense buff while holding the trident or some sort of debuff aura is worth considering at his current design stage. Lots to think on!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards