Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Maryland NHSD 11/9/13: A Savage NHSD!

Maryland NHSD

11/9/13

A SAVAGE NHSD!

What: National Heroscape Day in The Old Line State
When: Saturday, November 9, 2013. Show up 12:30(ish), start rolling dice at 1.
Where: The Family Game Store in Savage, Maryland. (Map; ph. 855-776-5980.)
How Much: $5. All money goes to the store credit slips we'll be using as prizes, as usual.
Format: 18 hexes, 400 points

See the House Rules linked in my sig for details about tiebreaks & some other little things. All finalized C3V and SoV units are eligible, as usual. There won't be any new finalized ones before the event; if it's official as of this post, it's fair game.

Any questions, ask in advance (PMs are welcome too). Remember, I don't mind being a dictator, so if you failed to ask you have nobody to blame but yourself!

I've written a few times that our buddy Drewcula will be making a new trophy for this event, but I still haven't actually heard from him or discussed it with him yet. That is, I am sure, because he's busy being awesome with this project, underway the weekend of 10/3-10/6. Any of you in the DC area would be lucky to get a peek at it, if he's still at it as of this writing (not sure). Good luck, buddy! Watch this space for confirmation on the trophy support. The Golden Viking will be up for grabs, too, as usual.

Notes about the space for newcomers: This is a terrific game store with a large gaming area in an out-of-the-way mall featuring, for the most part, boutique shops and little restaurants. Please do not bring food; there are several fine places to get food in the mall and our support makes a difference to them.

Also our time window is tight. Pokemon is wrapping up as we arrive; if you are bringing pre-built maps, you may want to leave them in your car until closer to 1. Open gaming night after our tournament starts at ~ 6 pm., so normally while I'm giving out prizes at 6:15 there are a few people playing Ascension or whatever giving me the evil eye because I'm yelling while they try to play. So we'll try to keep moving as best we can to get through our 5 rounds in 5 hours.

The shop has been absolutely great to us over the few years we've been running tournaments there. I hope you all like it as much as I do. If there's something you'll want to purchase, I encourage you to give them a call and ask them to set it aside (or order it) for you.

Maps:

We will lead off with a small service to the judges of the BoV; perhaps our use of these three maps in their hopper will be some help to them. Or perhaps not.

The Borogroves, BftU x2; TJ x1 *no glyphs* (sorry, BoV judges)

Draugur, BftU x1, TT x2 *no glyphs*

Dance of the Dryads, BftU x1, VW x1, RttFF x1 *with glyphs*

Morass, SotM x1, TJ x1 *no glyphs*

Dry Season by Killometer, RotV x1 *with glyphs*

Blackroot, SotM x1, RttFF x2 *no glyphs*

Trepidation, RotV x1, TT x2 *no glyphs*

Incendium, SotM x1, RttFF x2, VW x1

Road Rampage (love me some Ch1can0), RotV x1, RttFF x1 *no glyphs*

The Fallen Pier, RotV x1, FotA x1, *with glyphs*

Robber Surprise x1

Robber Surprise x2

Attendees:
  1. DS
  2. KidScaper
  3. JohnGee
  4. Robber
  5. G-O
  6. LoB
  7. Stephen
  8. Clan
  9. Xanth
  10. akden
  11. kldonnelly
  12. hivelord#4
  13. Bill
  14. Big Boa
  15. Drewcula
  16. Friend of KS
  17. Bassist of Doom
  18. Twinkie
Maybe:
Friend of DS
DS's Friend's Kid #1
DS's Friend's Kid #2
Friend of DS #2

Maps:
Dry Season: clancampbell
Dance of the Dryads: G-O
Blackroot: G-O
Draugur: Johngee
Trepidation: Johngee
Road Rampage: Akden
Robber Surprise 1: Robber
Robber Surprise 2: Robber
Evergreen: Bassist of Doom
Incendium: DS
The Borogroves: DS

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; November 8th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:41 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Maryland NHSD 11/9: Prepare for a Savage NHSD!

. . . and so before you also start kicking butt, here's mine: put Johngee on the "Possible Attendees List."
I haven't played any H'Scape in a long time and it seems that lately the MARS-ians are gravitating toward other games (i.e. StarWars X-Wings, Leviathans, Mage Wars, Kemet, etc.), not that I mind, but I wanna do both. So I will mark my calendar and plan to be there seven weeks from now. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try out some of the new Wave #17 Vaark units that I just assembled.
FORMATS...? Hmm, let's see... I've got a couple of them that have been lingering in the back of my mind for awhile.
Here's one ( #1. ) THAT I call "RETENTION OF FORCE" - Where by you start with a 500 point army, but receive points not only for all the enemy figures destroyed, but also for all of your own figures that are still alive. Thus there is a maximum of 1,000 points available each round, if you are good enough to wipe out your opponent AND not loose a single figure of your own. I think this could result in some interesting matchups as the better players tend to have close games that might mean you'll WIN with 510 pts. if Isamu is the last one standing, while your opponent still scores 490 pts. since they killed everyone except him. Of course partial card scoring would be mandatory.
#2. Try this one on for size... "THEY'RE ALL UNIQUE" - here every player can bring any unit from any general to build thier army, BUT all units will be considered UNIQUE for this format's purposes. This would include the common and uncommon heroes as well. Therefore, ONLY ONE of any unit can be brought to the table. This will absolutely prevent any Squad-Scaping like 6x 4th Mass + Raelin, 8x Marro Stingers + Marcu, or 10x Fire Elementals + Kurrock & Guilty, etc. Hopefully this will force players to try something different and use units that we don't see very often.
#3. Now if you really want to think out side of the proverbial BOX, then consider this one: "OUTSIDE THE BOX" - Each player brings an army of 2,000 points (Yes, that's two thousand with three zeroes). Then we play FIVE standard games of 400 points each. The trick is that everyone is given a plain brown paper bag at the beginning of the tournament that is marked "The grave yard." The trick is: whenever a figure is killed in a game, it goes into the bag and is completely gone for the rest of the tournament. So WINNERS will get to reuse any survivors in their next game, but must keep all of the wound markers on them or partial squads. The LOSERS, if their army was annihilated, will pick a new 400 pt. army from whatever is left from the 2,000 that they brought with them. This should make for a very interesting Final Round, since everyone's primary force will have dwindled and they will need to rely on their secondary/tertiary units. Of course some idiot like me might bring 11x Axegrinders + Migdol & Mogrimm and just keep replacing the fallen dwarves with fresh gnu ones.
#4. "IT'S IN THE BAG" - This is a slight variation of #3. above in which we play standard 500 point games, so that by the FIFTH Round you probably only have a few partial units remaining, unless you lost your first four games completely and then you'll get a chance to start over by building a brand new army from anything that was previously destroyed. This should provide an incentive to the "weaker" players who will get a fresh chance in the final round to dominate someone with only a couple of figures left in their repertoire.
I hope these have given you some fresh ideas to ruminate. If I do manage to make it down to Savage on 11/9, I will gladly bring a BoV map or two (three is also a possibility), and a few extra armies for what ever Format you decide upon, just in case someone forgot to bring theirs or a by-stander is willing to participate. So 'til then, Have A Nic eDay and happy chunkin' pumkins.

John G. Over & Out

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 19th, 2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Corrected typos.
Old September 19th, 2013, 12:50 AM

- sorry about that -

My attempt to "EDIT" to correct the spelling errors somehow became a Double Post.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 19th, 2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Avoided double posting.
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm a yes. Checking with my dad, Luc, Geoffrey and Kyle, Conor, etc. I second the Retention of Force format, it sounds extremely interesting.

Uses 1 marvel, 1 DnD, 1 RffFF.

I plan on bringing this. It's a WIP map that isn't finished yet. I'll need to coordinate with Geoffrey, I don't have a marvel set. I'll figure out a second map if I can get 4+ (which I should be able to do)
Old September 19th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

LoB and I are in. Stephen is possible and I will begin heavy training exercises with my daughter to possibly have her ready by then. I told her when she turned 7 she could go and she just did. For now put her down as SprinklesJr5. As always, maps can be brought.

As for the format, as long as girls are eligible figures, we should be cool.
I like the idea of vanilla with low points. It would be nice to finish the majority of games each round.

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; September 19th, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old September 19th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Put Xanth and myself on the maybe list. We'll most likely be there, but one never knows.

As for formats:

1: Everything is unique. Like John G said. Also known as a Highlander event.

2: Go big or go home. All units must cost at least 100 points.

3: Hot lava death. All maps contain lava. This could be tacked on to any format really.

4: Clancampbell wins! No need to play, just hand me the trophy and the spoils of victory! I highly recommend this one!

5: Pick your poison. Players bring two armies. Their opponent chooses which they play.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM

@ Clan ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Put Xanth and myself on the maybe list. We'll most likely be there, but one never knows.
Ahh-haa... that wonderful RANDOM WEIRDNESS that everyone is talking about. Ya gotta luv those unexpected surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
As for formats:

1: Everything is unique. Like John G said. Also known as a Highlander event.
2: Go big or go home. All units must cost at least 100 points.
3: Hot lava death. All maps contain lava. This could be tacked on to any format really.
4: Clancampbell wins! No need to play, just hand me the trophy and the spoils of victory! I highly recommend this one!
5: Pick your poison. Players bring two armies. Their opponent chooses which they play.
#4. is an excellent idea, I'll just snail mail you my five bucks and save myself sixty dollars in gas, twenty dullards in trolls, and six hours in windshield time... that's maybe not "PRICELESS," butt if my calculations are correct, I'll come out $74.56 ahead, laughing all the way to the bank. &obtw: how about playing some BattleBall after the HS tournament? As long as I can play Denver against your Ravens. hehehehehe ; - )

Old September 19th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ok, I've added everyone who, in my expert opinion, at this moment has a <%50 chance of coming. As Stephen and Robber's group get back to you guys, let me know.

When setting up formats for the Family Game Store, there are a couple factors high on my list of priorities:

1. It needs to be something that can play *fast*. We really only have five hours of rolling dice.

2. It needs to be something that will not be too intimidating for the younger players among us *or* those with smaller collections of 'Scape. Both those segments of the 'Scape playing population are normally represented at this location and I don't want to discourage them from attending.

The "Clancampbell wins!" format is probably the simplest & most straightforward. I'll give it some thought.

= =
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Put 10th Regiment and me down as strong maybe's. We are spending that week at the "Happiest Place on Earth," but we should be back and ready to go (pending clearance from the boss ). Looking forward to playing. I'm up for whatever format, but I certainly wouldn't be against some vanilla 'Scape.

I do have strong reservations about the "Clancambell wins!" format, though. There's something fishy about it, but I can't put my finger on it...

I would also tentatively plan on bringing some games for afterwards, I have some stuff I'd still love to get some more plays in, like Kemet, and Bioshock, and City of Remnants, and Cyclades, and Pathfinder Card game, and ...
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Put me down for Pathfinder.

= =
Old September 21st, 2013, 03:20 PM

hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker hose knows what's in an order marker

Hosey and I are probable for this. I won't know my work schedule until the week of, but right now looks good .
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:38 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Great! I'm excited you guys want to come down & join us. Can you pick up spidysox and peteparkerh on the way?

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day