Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
What does your spreadsheet look like?

Since I've been preparing for another tournament coming up at the end of May, I pulled out my old army analysis spreadsheet and started plugging ideas in. I know other people do this too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus
I've got about 12 or so armies in the spreadsheet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
I make a spreadsheet of 30-40 armies, 75% of which I know have no shot of being selected.
I'm just wondering what they look like. Mine looks like this:

I have columns so that I think about how the army would respond to the common problems (Q9, Rats, etc.) and last time around I color coded stuff (those armies are all from the Eugene tournament in 2008, I went with something that's not even on the list) and figured out every army's threat range and life and other fun stuff. What do you have on your spreadsheet?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: What does your spreadsheet look like?

Wow.

I don't make one.

I usually just get out a sheet of looseleaf paper and start scribbling words on it. Then I phone a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

phone a friend = spider_poison

This was a roll up sheet from my GCarmies 2009 spreadsheet from last year. Each event (I was playing in) had its own tab and the top 8 armies on each tab autopopulated on this roll up tab.

I use a master SS to house all the units in sortable, filterable fashion that also auto calculates points and hexes as units & quantities are designated. From there, I copy paste the chosen units into the current Army spreadsheet.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; April 22nd, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I've never gotten around to making the master sheet to pull from, though I suppose I could use bixby's to start with.

And Jexik, I'm kind of surprised. I thought you'd rate higher on the autism spectrum scale. High enough at least for obsessive spreadsheets.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

I don't use spereadhseets, one's head is good enough in most instances here
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

My spreadsheets usually goes like this -

Variation of Knight armies
Variation of Orc armies
Variation of Dwarf armies
Variation of Roman armies

I also have the "other" category. It usually invovles like Dividers, Drones, SB, Armocs, Blades, etc.

I also have a category -
Can it beat Q9? Can it beat rats? Can it beat the 10th? Can it beat 'trons?

phone a friend for me = fomox. Though it's usally through pm or e-mail.

I've got most of my Gen Con armies already nailed down to about 2 choices for each event. TreasureQuest is really making me think though.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
I agree. Rarely do the spreadsheets spawn an idea, they are simply tools I like to use. Also, I like nice clean printouts.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

All the tan areas are editable. Type in the unit and all the stats appear. Further, put a * or ** in the column next to the unit and the special abilities (and synergies) appear below along with the current Power Ranking over on the upper right.

This was my build for our Scenario Tourney we ran last weekend (Battle at the Border III).

-insert signature here-
Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM

I like to have the spreadsheet just to remember. Without it, I would certainly forget some silly/fun army I thought up.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

R˙chean, that is a thing of beauty.

I love spreadsheets, but for army composition I mostly do it on paper and in my head. Last year I had a simple notepad document to keep track of my main ideas for each event. This year it is random notes in the margins of handouts I get at boring presentations/meetings, and email and texts back and forth with MM. A couple events are basically done (assuming they'll be no Wave D2 by then), but the main event choice will probably keep changing until August.

Fun thread, yagyuninja.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
And Jexik, I'm kind of surprised. I thought you'd rate higher on the autism spectrum scale. High enough at least for obsessive spreadsheets.
I just suck at using spreadsheets.

I don't own a camera either, because I like using my memory when possible. I kind of want a camera now though, so I can show others what I'm talking about here.

I know the point totals and likely armies well enough at most events at this point that I know exactly what someone's playing when they say, "I'm playing Knights" or whatever. I'll usually spit out one or two solid builds and one will be the one they're playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
phone a friend = spider_poison
Yeah, when my mind isn't enough, I look for some corroboration. He told me to play Vanilla Ice in the first tourney I actually won,* and I convinced him to play Trons in the main event the last two years, and Stingers/Rats in the '08 mindshackle.

Those phone calls are usually about 95% of our tourney prep, honestly.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: *Check out what MM says for a good laugh. He still sucked back then.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:45 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
R˙chean, that is a thing of beauty.

I love spreadsheets, but for army composition I mostly do it on paper and in my head. Last year I had a simple notepad document to keep track of my main ideas for each event. This year it is random notes in the margins of handouts I get at boring presentations/meetings, and email and texts back and forth with MM. A couple events are basically done (assuming they'll be no Wave D2 by then), but the main event choice will probably keep changing until August.

Fun thread, yagyuninja.
According to Sandra the official release date for D2 is August 17th.

Ive never messed around with spreadsheets. I have a notebook I take everywhere with me.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion