Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Counterstrike
It's useless, totally useless. 2 1.87%
There are enough special attacks in the game to render it practically useless. 15 14.02%
Not the best ability, but one of my favorites. 85 79.44%
By far the best special ability in the game. 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 30th, 2008, 05:29 AM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: How do you feel about counterstrike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
On a tangent, how does the community value Counterstrike in points? What I mean is, if a unit were to be given the Counterstrike ability in addition to whatever else it had, how much would you want to increase its value?
Counterstrike's worth varies depending on the unit. Putting counterstrike on Deathstalkers is a much bigger deal than putting it on Venocs. Giving the Krav Maga counterstrike would be worth 40 points or so, since it gives them a huge boost against their weakness (adjacent attacks).

--

This makes me wonder about a "counterstrike spirit" power, similar to the Viking spirits.

Q9 with counterstrike would just be hideous, though.

Personally, I've always thought the rats should have counterstrike.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:56 PM

The fourth Tagawa Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
On a tangent, how does the community value Counterstrike in points? What I mean is, if a unit were to be given the Counterstrike ability in addition to whatever else it had, how much would you want to increase its value?
Counterstrike's worth varies depending on the unit. Putting counterstrike on Deathstalkers is a much bigger deal than putting it on Venocs. Giving the Krav Maga counterstrike would be worth 40 points or so, since it gives them a huge boost against their weakness (adjacent attacks).

--

This makes me wonder about a "counterstrike spirit" power, similar to the Viking spirits.

Q9 with counterstrike would just be hideous, though.

Personally, I've always thought the rats should have counterstrike.
That would be awesome. The ability to crush my brother every game How ever that would be way to good. Oh, Onacara, to reply to your battle...........

Think you got what it takes to create a custom for the new army in Valhalla? PM me your idea and it could be put in my fanfic. Here's a link. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=21965
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Monk has disabled reputation

One of the things I really like about counterstrike ( and it turns out many
people weren't playing it correctly) is when a unit with counterstrike is attacked by a big Guy ( Oh, say Krug) And Krug attacks and ends up
not rolling a single skull....then the counterstrike unit still gets to roll and
every shield rolled is as good as an unblockable skull...I think it's fun.
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Samurai_Master is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I think that counterstrike is great!!!!! Not the best ability out their, but hey, it's fun to play with. And I agree with whoever said that it's not a good idea to base an army around it

Wouldn't it be cool if the zombies had counterstrike

You could try Samurai...

Samurai.M
Eats them all!!
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit94 View Post
I find that counterstrike is very useful, although in a different way then you think. Counterstrike rarely works, but it's the fear of getting counterstruck that makes it so deadly. Your opponent probably isn't going to attack your samurai with melee, so you can use this. You can also use the fact that if you engage your opponent's melee, he probably won't use the melee to fight back. Counterstrike is very similar to Mindshackle in this way. You can use it to control your opponents.
Exactly how I feel!

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

I think Counterstike is more useful in ROTV games, especially for earlier players(I think some one said that here earlier).
However, I don't use them much because my Izumi have DeathWalker luck.

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
I think Counterstike is more useful in ROTV games, especially for earlier players(I think some one said that here earlier).
However, I don't use them much because my Izumi have DeathWalker luck.
My Izumi - my lone Izumi - my lone remaining figure on the board Izumi - managed to take out 5 Drones and 3 Deathstalkers for the win, mostly using counterstrike, against Rodriquez. Best they've ever done for me. And such a sweet victory, too!!

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; December 10th, 2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Sorry, man, but I had to brag about that game sooner or later.
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Cheeslord Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit94 View Post
I find that counterstrike is very useful, although in a different way then you think. Counterstrike rarely works, but it's the fear of getting counterstruck that makes it so deadly. Your opponent probably isn't going to attack your samurai with melee, so you can use this. You can also use the fact that if you engage your opponent's melee, he probably won't use the melee to fight back. Counterstrike is very similar to Mindshackle in this way. You can use it to control your opponents.
Exactly how I feel!
Slightly off-topic, but Mind Shackle has never controlled anyone in any game I played - because it almost never works* both me and my opponents assume it won't work and disregard it strategically. Ne gok sa often survives a long time simply because he has no offensive ability and so isnt a priority target (we dont have Grok riders).

I think Counterstrike is generally a balanced ability. I used to think the Izumi were too cheap given their high counterstrike but practically, they've never uber-owned. Counterstrike with ROTV raelin thrown in might be a bit broken, but I think ROTV Raelin is a bit broken anyway.

Mark.

* Never has happened in any game I played.
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Wow--never?!

I can't even count the number of times that my daughter has won a game with a final mindshackle! (I guess the statistical averages involved in her remarkable numbers of shackles is balanced out by your games ...)

But, yes, I don't change my play much with mindshackle--use ranged on NGS or commons when possible, but I would likely anyway. Counterstrike does make me rethink my approach (in my last tourney, I had a Nilfheim and Knights army that usually led with the knights and followed with the dragon, but against a solid samurai army, I switched it around--to great success, I might add). In general, it is because counterstrike exists that armies need to have strong range (and, where possible, excellent special attacks).
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!

I concur that counterstrike is largely a psych-out power; I know my wife and son will think long and hard about who to attack with whom if there are samurai in the army.

This works also with the Oni - one game my forces practically walked up to my wife's agent army as she was afraid of the ranged counterstrike.... and my squads were using him for cover. Had she actually fired he might have wiffed... but out of fear of counterstrike it save me quite a few wounds probably.

Also, most figures are limited to one, maybe 2 attacks per turn. Doesn't mean you always get wounds with those attacks. Counterstrike allows you the chance to inflict wounds when no order markers are used; or even when it is not your turn.
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:56 AM

wk4c knows what's in an order marker wk4c knows what's in an order marker

Counterstrike is my favorite ability in this game. I love Samurai armies, and I always have the most amazing luck with Counterstrike. I've had my Izumi's take down 2 squads of KoW on their own once, with I think 5 counterstrikes.

Wouldn't it be great if the Minions had counterstrike?

Quadraphonic(x2), Hilo-Scaper, SuperflyTNT

1-4/3-1/3-2/3-2
10-9 = 53% Win pct.
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker

Counterstrike. One of those abilities that throws down the psychological gauntlet, taunting your opponents melee figures to try to attack you. They also force your opponent to try to find an alternative to direct attack.

Counterstrike can be a valuable end game or early rush strategy. At the end of the game, depending on who your opponent has left, they can be forced to get close and attack. They can also be a good early game strategy if you rush your opponents melee figures, and can get away with it.

Overall, Counterstrike is good, but there are many counters that make it not so insane.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles