Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:57 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorneedsfoodbadly View Post
I think I'll bow out of the game decisions. Xotli and Leotheanimal87 seem to have far more knowledge and interest in the creation of our tournament play than I can muster.
A dangerous decision. But, if so, and hearing nothing from anyone else, I think Leo and I are in agreement about the new restricted format.

Quote:
I was contacted by OrcElfArmyOne and he suggested his own list called Balance Drafting,
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=49429
which was followed by the suggestion of Delta+, http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=46703
Wellllll ... okay, first of all, let me say that I am always open to new formats/rules/scenario types/etc. I think one of the greatest things about Heroscape is that it's so versatile and can be played so many different ways, but tournaments tend to squash that with a very rigid format. So I love to see things changed up.

That having been said, I have some reservations about those two systems in particular. Delta+ is basically unusable for us since it has explicit alternative point costs for all units, but it doesn't actually include all units--the last 3 waves of C3V units are not listed. Balance Drafting is a bit more flexible, and certainly could be combined with dok's power rankings to cover VC units (even though it wasn't designed for that). But it's still pretty new, and I'm just not sure there's been quite enough playtesting with it yet. Maybe next year I'll feel differently.

So my opinion would be to keep with our restricted list system, only updating it as I suggested above. I'll repeat that here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proposed New Restricted List
The restricted list is composed of two parts: primary units and filler units. Your army can contain no more than one restricted primary unit, and no more than one restricted filler unit. If a restricted primary unit is common or uncommon, your army may contain multiples of that unit, up to a maximum of 300 points. If a restricted filler unit is common or uncommon, and you want to take multiples of that unit, you must treat it as a restricted primary unit instead.

Restricted Primary Units:
  • Deathreavers (A+)
  • Major Q9 (A+)
  • Raelin - RotV (A+)
  • 10th Regiment of Foot (A)
  • 4th Massachusetts Line (A)
  • Blastatrons (A)
  • Fen Hydra (A)
  • Grimnak (A)
  • Heavy Gruts (A)
  • Knights of Weston (A)
  • Krav Maga Agents (A)
  • Marro Stingers (A)
  • Nilfhiem (A)
  • Sir Gilbert (A)
  • Vulcanmech Incendiborgs (A)
  • Airborne Elite (A-)
  • Braxas (A-)
  • Cathar Spearmen (A-)
  • Cyprien Esenwein (A-)
  • Fire Elemental (A-)
  • Greenscale Warriors (A-)
  • Kaemon Awa (A-)
  • Krug (A-)
  • Major Q10 (A-)
  • Quahon (A-)
  • Roman Legionnaires (A-)
  • Zelrig (A-)

Restricted Filler List:
  • Isamu (A)
  • Marcu Esenwein (A)
  • Marro Warriors (A)
  • Black Wyrmling (A-)
  • Eldgrim (A-)
  • Me-Burq-Sa (A-)
Only two changes from last time:
  1. I clarified that uncommons are treated like commons in terms of point limits, and
  2. I clarified how to handle multiple black wyrmlings (not that I think that'll come up, but it did seem to be a hole in my plan when I went back and reviewed it).
@Leotheanimal87 , does this look good to you?

Quote:
I should be able to make 2 maps unless they are competing for a lot of the same scarce pieces.
Well, here's my suggested list again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proposed Map List
So, the first two on that list would be Sirocco, which requires 2 BftU and 1 TJ, and Swamp Thing, which requires 1 RotV, 1 SotM, and 1 RttFF. So, no overlap there, as long as you have all that stuff. What say, @warriorneedsfoodbadly : can you handle those two?

That would be enough for 8 players, but I suspect we'll need more than that. Who else can bring a map? Leo said maybe, so let's not count on that. hivelord can always build a map or two, but he's not sure he can make it yet. We have @Detrimentalman down as a definite, but I suspect from the phrasing of his response here in the thread that he meant to say he will not be present for the tourney, only for the open gaming afterwards. So possibly we shouldn't count on him, unless he clarifies. Who else can bring a map? @WreakLoosE , perhaps?

Also, has anyone posted on the Yahoo! group, if it's still around?

Also also, wnfb: do you mind if I go ahead and update the top post with this stuff (maps and restricted list updates and so forth)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:36 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I will be working on the 18th so I will not be able to make it. Sorry guys. Have a great time.

Can't believe I'll have missed two years in a row now!

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old October 3rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

FYI, I wasn't promoting Balance Drafting. I was hoping that one of my maps could possibly see play at your tournament. Warrior knows all the details, but the Balance Drafting was just linked in my sig as well.
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
I will be working on the 18th so I will not be able to make it. Sorry guys. Have a great time.

Can't believe I'll have missed two years in a row now!
Aw, man ... I'm really bummed you won't be able to make it. Of course, please tell your pop that he's free to come even without you. And let us know when you have some free time and maybe we can schedule a gameday sometime later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
FYI, I wasn't promoting Balance Drafting. I was hoping that one of my maps could possibly see play at your tournament. Warrior knows all the details, but the Balance Drafting was just linked in my sig as well.
Ah, I see. Well, we typically use BoV maps only for tournaments. Not necessarily my preference, but there is a strong argument to be made for maps that have been blessed by somebody as being balanced for tourney play. It saves people complaining about the maps being unfair, at the very least.

But both of the maps I see in your thread there appear to be the sort of thing the BoV folks would consider; why not submit one or both of them over in their thread?

----

In other news, I've received confirmation that all 3 of Quillon's friends from last year will be returning to the tourney, so we are now officially a minimum of 5. Plus I think the Smaller Animal may indeed play without me--he has a friend coming as well, and they will form a team, so between the two of them they may have enough focus for one player. So we may very well be 6. Which could make us half the field.

@warriorneedsfoodbadly , let me know if it's okay for me to update the top post with all the updated info. Don't want to step on your toes, but we need to make sure everyone has the latest info.

@Leotheanimal87 , just give me a quick confirmation that you're okay with the updated restricted list as I presented it above. Unless, of course, you're not.

----

Woohoo!! Getting excited again! I love this time of year.

Let me know if I need to bring anything special. Still looking for volunteers to bring maps. I really don't want to have to bring more than two.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart

Xotli, feel free to update the top link however and whenever you'd like
Old October 5th, 2014, 11:31 PM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

Sorry for late response, but I am ok with the updated restricted list. Will try and bring a map. Will know closer to date. Will be just myself coming.

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old October 6th, 2014, 04:30 PM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart

Correct, I can't be sure I'll make the start so I'm most likely just coming for after gaming.

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotheanimal87 View Post
Sorry for late response, but I am ok with the updated restricted list. Will try and bring a map. Will know closer to date.
Okay, @Leotheanimal87 , we're about a week a way ... is that close enough for ya?

I'm just a bit concerned that we have 10 people and only 4 maps. We have to have at least 1 more, and I'd like to have 2 more, in case we get lucky and extra people show up (hey, it's happened before ...). I guess I'll go ahead and try to bring one more map myself, but I'm still hoping Leo can bring one. I've tentatively signed up for Draugur in the top post, 'cause I don't know if I have enough BftU left over to build Bad Moon Rising. Leo, can you handle that one? If not, try to pick something off my list of 4 "Extras" upthread a ways.

And if anyone else here can bring enough terrain to make one of the suggested maps, please let us know!

Only 6 more days!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 14th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Okay, had a great practice game with Quillon tonight. I've tried to make my mummy army work, using the awesome new Crypt Guardian, and I gotta tell you it's fun as hell, but it just doesn't have enough power for a tourney. If I can't beat my eight-year-old with it, I prolly better not try it against Leo, eh?

But my second idea is working pretty well. I just pulled out a win against Quillon by about 50 pts, so I'm feeling pretty good. Of course, Leo is still going to spank me, but at least now I feel like I've got a fighting chance.

Still no response on maps, eh? Let me repeat the issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
I'm just a bit concerned that we have 10 people and only 4 maps. We have to have at least 1 more, and I'd like to have 2 more, in case we get lucky and extra people show up (hey, it's happened before ...). I guess I'll go ahead and try to bring one more map myself, but I'm still hoping Leo can bring one. I've tentatively signed up for Draugur in the top post, 'cause I don't know if I have enough BftU left over to build Bad Moon Rising. Leo, can you handle that one? If not, try to pick something off my list of 4 "Extras" upthread a ways.

And if anyone else here can bring enough terrain to make one of the suggested maps, please let us know!
And now let me throw some mentions out here: @Leotheanimal87 or @michaeltaylor or @WreakLoosE , can any of you bring a map?

I'll also repeat my map list so you guys don't have to go looking for it:

Quote:
Quote:
  1. Quasatch Playground [Xotli]
  2. Sirocco [warriorneedsfoodbadly]
  3. Swamp Thing [warriorneedsfoodbadly]
  4. Burial Marsh [Xotli]
  5. Draugur [maybe Xotli]
  6. Bad Moon Rising

Extras (if required):
I updated the list to include wnfb's choices and my maybe.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 14th, 2014, 03:21 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

Sorry for late reply, but I can bring two maps. (I stop being lazy for a change lol) I will bring Bad Moon Rising and Blackroot since I don't own any Jungle or Snow Is anything else needed? Also good luck Xotli and to everyone else. With no Hydra in my army this year, you guys stand somewhat of a chance :P (Even though I rarely move the hydra at all lol ) but in all seriousness, I look forward to a fun day.

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!

Last edited by Leotheanimal87; October 14th, 2014 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Old October 14th, 2014, 04:57 PM

Counterstrike has disabled reputation

Ill be there!!

Jared Lesueur
Old October 14th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Sorry for late reply, ...
No worries.

Quote:
... but I can bring two maps.
Especially if you have news like that.

So I think that means we'll be good on maps then. Not to discourage anyone else from bringing a map if they want, of course. But 6 maps should cover us, I would think.

Quote:
I will bring Bad Moon Rising and Blackroot since I don't own any Jungle or Snow
Oh, okay. Well, if you're bringing Blackroot instead of Draugur, maybe I better bring Draugur instead of Burial Marsh. Otherwise we'll have way too many swamp maps and no snow maps at all. Besides, after practicing on Burial Marsh for a bit, it started to annoy me. The start zones are disconnected in an annoying way that makes it difficult to get your army together unless it's small. Which I suppose could be considered a feature, but it just feels irksome instead of challenging. Plus it seems like it would favor armies with small numbers of start spaces (like e.g. elf wizard pods).

So I'll break down Burial Marsh, stick it in a box and bring it just in case the unthinkable happens and 2 or 3 whole extra people show up, and build Draugur. Hopefully today.

Quote:
Is anything else needed?
I'll leave that question for @warriorneedsfoodbadly . I can't think of anything myself.

Quote:
Also good luck Xotli and to everyone else. With no Hydra in my army this year, you guys stand somewhat of a chance :P
Indeed, I'm looking forward to that. I think a couple of our newbies will be bringing some of the stronger C3V figures, so you may want to familiarize yourself with Quahon and the Cathar Spearmen; I'll be surprised if you don't see at least one of them Saturday, although they haven't officially made up their minds yet. But, as I say, these'll be the new guys, so I don't expect they'll be that much of an obstacle to you. But the dice can be a harsh mistress ...

Quote:
... I look forward to a fun day.
Absolutely. It'll be a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterstrike View Post
Ill be there!!
Hey, awesome! This is not looking too shoddy!

Updated map situation:

Quote:
Quote:
  1. Quasatch Playground [Xotli]
  2. Sirocco [warriorneedsfoodbadly]
  3. Swamp Thing [warriorneedsfoodbadly]
  4. Draugur [Xotli]
  5. Bad Moon Rising [Leotheanimal87]
  6. Blackroot [Leotheanimal87]

Extras (if required):
I will update the top post as well.

EDIT: Hey, @Detrimentalman : now you totally have to come for the tourney, 'cause otherwise we'll have an odd number.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; October 14th, 2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added thought

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day