Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old October 5th, 2010, 10:21 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Florida Frenzy 4.0 (Gainesville, FL)

So how many tables does BAM have? It looks like it will take at least 2 or 3 tables for a map and play area. Looks like that means they would have to have 24+ tables. Can they manage that?

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Those are some good ideas for maps, Filthy.
I put you on the list, MrWookiee.
We can do 500 points at the next tournament, nicktheant.
Riggler, they have at least 18 of the small tables, which can make at worst 9 maps, although I think it can make 12 maps if we put two on every group of 3 tables. In any case, there are some additional tables we can set up (including some small black coffee tables, see picture 4) that they have.

Also, there are actually two Books-A-Million in Gainesville. Both said they could do it, but the one on Newberry Road is having a book signing which might interfere. So the address of the location is: 2601 NW 13th St Gainesville, FL. We have the store from 9am to 11pm, so anytime is fine. When do you guys prefer to start?

I think the treasure glyphs should be:
Heroic Rune (+1 Attack)
Talisman of Defense (+1 Defense)
Elixir of Speed (+4 Move, one time use)
Potion of Healing (+3 Health, one time use)
Brooch of Shielding (Disengage)

And if we want normal glyphs, they should be:
Nilrend (Negation, one time use)
Thorian (No normal attack hit zones)
Lodin (+1 D20)
Rannveig (No flying)
Valda (+2 Move)

Is this OK with everyone? Any others you would like? So we could do a "glyph pool" with these ten and draw two randomly for each map. As for what maps, I like all those Filthy just suggested. I have heard from GGGames and Riggler, but is any one else willing to bring map material? I shall be deciding who brings which maps this weekend.

This is looking good. Please discuss any other changes that you want to see.

Last edited by BurnyFlame; October 8th, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:39 AM

randomskyfears is surprisingly tart

I do have to say I'm also a little worried about the table space there. If we can only make 9 maps at worst, that doesn't work if we have more than 18 people, which it seems we already do. Are you sure there's no where else that has more space? The uneven tables may also be problematic. Either way, I commend you on scoping them all out for us. I guess having a 10am start time would be fine by me.

And regardless of where it is, I'll of course bring some map material. Since no one seems to be voting on any of the maps just yet, these are my picks of the ones mentioned so far, assuming we need five of them:

Striking Distance
Quasatch Playground
Hard Eight
Valley of Shadows
and Reclamation Plant I guess

Of these, I can probably bring two of Quasatch, two of Striking, two of Reclamation, and possibly either two of Hard Eight or one of Valley (I only have 2 MS3 sets of shadows). I have to double check how much they each take, but I'm pretty sure I can bring 5-6 maps total if need be.
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
When do you guys prefer to start?
Thanks for planning this out! I nominate either 10am or 3pm. Either one should avoid the noon traffic (is this a problem in Gainesville?) while still allowing time to drive in.

Quote:
is any one else willing to bring map material? I shall be deciding who brings which maps this weekend.
I can bring a map with me. Either Failed Negotiations, Reclamation Plant, When Paths Cross, or Shadow Crossing (I have enough material for one of these, so please just let me know what works best for you).

The glyph pool sounds great, as does the venue. I suspect that 400 point armies will make the games go a bit quicker, which will hopefully alleviate any problems with a lack of tables. I guess someone can square up on the floor/rug as well.
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:01 PM

nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
Quote:
Thanks for planning this out! I nominate either 10am or 3pm. Either one should avoid the noon traffic (is this a problem in Gainesville?) while still allowing time to drive in.

Quote:
is any one else willing to bring map material? I shall be deciding who brings which maps this weekend.
I can bring a map with me. Either Failed Negotiations, Reclamation Plant, When Paths Cross, or Shadow Crossing (I have enough material for one of these, so please just let me know what works best for you).

The glyph pool sounds great, as does the venue. I suspect that 400 point armies will make the games go a bit quicker, which will hopefully alleviate any problems with a lack of tables. I guess someone can square up on the floor/rug as well.
I would say 10am as I'm sure people will have to drive home later.

Want to Re-base Your DnD Figures? Click here.
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM

GGGames is surprisingly tart

10 am also for us.
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Juniour is surprisingly tart

I'm going along with nicktheant (I'm one of his 3 extra people) but it seems like a lot of fun.

GOGators

I would say 10 or 11 because people will most likely drive down there and drive back in one day

Last edited by Juniour; October 10th, 2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to put some information
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I go to Gainesville a lot and there's really no noon traffic to worry about. If there's any really bad noon traffic it would be on University.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM

randomskyfears is surprisingly tart

I have to say I'm still worried about doing this at a BAM. Do they know we plan on using ALL of their tables for basically all day? What if some other customers come in and complain about our hoarding of them or that we're being too loud? And we don't even know that using all the tables will still cover everyone who shows up to play. I remember that the first choice of locations has a separate event that day, but is it possible they would have enough room left over for us? Failing that, is there any chance of holding it somewhere else or maybe even having it that Sunday? I'd rather move the date to get a better location. Let me know what you guys think
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomskyfears View Post
I have to say I'm still worried about doing this at a BAM. Do they know we plan on using ALL of their tables for basically all day? What if some other customers come in and complain about our hoarding of them or that we're being too loud? And we don't even know that using all the tables will still cover everyone who shows up to play. I remember that the first choice of locations has a separate event that day, but is it possible they would have enough room left over for us? Failing that, is there any chance of holding it somewhere else or maybe even having it that Sunday? I'd rather move the date to get a better location. Let me know what you guys think
With the exception of BAM telling us to relocate, I think that moving it with less than 2 weeks left before the tournament is generally a bad idea. On a personal note, I have a 6.5 hour drive and have provisioned for this on Friday/Saturday. Moving it to Sunday could be problematic for me, as well as for other attendees who have made plans for that Saturday. Everything about the current location appears sound, and I suspect that we can adapt to any changes that could potentially come up.
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomskyfears View Post
With the exception of BAM telling us to relocate, I think that moving it with less than 2 weeks left before the tournament is generally a bad idea. On a personal note, I have a 6.5 hour drive and have provisioned for this on Friday/Saturday. Moving it to Sunday could be problematic for me, as well as for other attendees who have made plans for that Saturday. Everything about the current location appears sound, and I suspect that we can adapt to any changes that could potentially come up.
Ok, I agree that books-a-million is kind of an awkward selection, and I was going to suggest the O'Connell Center or the Southwest Rec. Center, but you need to make a reservation 60 days in advanced but BAM probably wont have enough tables, and it would be very difficult to make announcements in a book store... I think changing the date wouldn't help to much, as many places require a month or more notice in advance. Maybe, and this is really out there, we could have it in the ginormous parking garage outside the O'Connell Center, I was recently down at Gainesville for the gator game and the weather was cool, and with a load of fans and some fold out tables it would be usable if people still doubt BAM.
Just some guesses but with no other places to go BAM still seems like the best. Hope this helped (even thought it probably didnt)
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:58 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

I want to start early enough to finish before it gets too late to drive back, but I also want to allow people driving up in the morning time to get there. So the check-in will begin at 10:00 a.m. and the first round will start at 11:00 a.m. Is that fine?

The schedule is:
10-11am: Check-in/Set-up (bring a prize, HeroScape related preferred)
11am-12pm: First Swiss Round
12pm-1pm: Second Swiss Round
1pm-2pm: Third Swiss Round
2pm-3pm: Lunch Break
3pm-4pm: Fourth Swiss Round
4pm-5pm: Fifth Swiss Round/Top 4 play Semi-Finals
5-6pm: Top 2 play Finals/3rd&4th play/Free play for rest
6pm: Clean-up and Prizes!

We could switch the Lunch with the Third Round if you guys prefer. Also, we could have 5 Swiss Rounds and then the Semi-Finals, if you don't mind staying later. Also, feel free to stay as late as you want playing casual games.

As for the 12 maps, I plan on having 2 of each for 6 different maps. We could have a different/special Finals map too. I wanted variety, so I think these map choices will give us that. If you find something wrong with the maps, or if you can not bring the ones I assigned to you, please let me know:

2x Shadow Crossing (1 brought by BurnyFlame, 1 by FilthyTheClown)
2x Reclamation Plant B (both brought by randomskyfears)
2x Failed Negotiations (1 brought by GGGames, 1 by Riggler)
2x If You Can't Take the Heat . . . (1 brought by GGGames, 1 by Riggler)
2x Hard Eight v4 (both brought by randomskyfears)
2x The Dead Torch (1 brought by BurnyFlame, 1 by GGGames - glyphs in between sides in water)

That should give us enough for 24 people. So at this point, please confirm if you are attending (including guests). Also, tell me if you can bring glyphs, because each map will have two.

The Books-A-Million manager is 100% fine with us using the whole store (I don't think they get much business). We should be set with tables, but there is also an old Wal-mart next door which can provide any last minute tables if need be. To address any long-shot wackiness that may disrupt us, the contingency plan is to have the tournament at the Reitz Union (UF student center) where they have tons of tables. Other stores, as noted before, are busy or too small.

Last edited by BurnyFlame; October 11th, 2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Schedule suggestions

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day