Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old May 19th, 2015, 03:43 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

Thanks again for all of the comments on the woodkin. Here's an idea I have for the cheapest filler hero.

This is the Sinspawn Champion from Pathfinder Miniatures - The Lost Coast.

NAME = Famine
GENERAL = Valkrill
PLANET = Toril
SPECIES = Demon
CLASS = Devourer
PERSONALITY = Terrifying
SIZE = Medium 5
UNIQUE HERO

LIFE = 3
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 5

PACT WITH DEATH

At the end of every round, give 1 wound marker to another figure you control on the battlefield. If you control no other figures, destroy Famine.

Famine is an insatiable monster who does not shy from a fight. It eagerly charges into battle and stabs with its spear or rends its enemy with its jaws. Famine is easy to coax to join into a battle, but dealing with this demon is making a pact with death. It will exact its toll by draining the life away from your forces until there is only the demon on the field. Once nothing remains, the pact is complete and it leaves to find more lives to consume.

I always thought a 5 point hero would too often slide into armies. It would have to contend with other filler or point totals being met exactly but it would nevertheless stand as the only option to round out any army with just 5 points remaining. I was interested in exploring if a design could make a powerful filler who would not just slide into every army with room for it. With Famine, you'll often want to pass on your figures receiving a wound every round unless you can really build for it.

Famine punches way above its weight but it is still a non-bonding, single attack, melee hero at the end of the day. I suspect its best use will be to take advantage of the pact to eke out wounds in your favor. Maybe you can pick off some of your reanimating figures to bring them into battle from a better position or simply rack up wounds on Krug or the MacDirk Warriors' Champion. However, any of these strategies will still run the risk of Famine overstaying it's welcome and give you something to contend with.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Ixe; January 8th, 2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

First: I really like this guy!

Second: You might want to make it so that your own figures cannot attack him. Balance is certainly not my area of expertise, but that's my first thought.

Third: I really like this guy!

Keep up the good work, Ixe.
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
PACT WITH DEATH
At the end of every round, give 1 wound marker to another figure you control on the battlefield. If you control no other figures, destroy Famine.
Does this mean that you're moving the wound from Famine to another unit, or does it function like the Glyph of Wannok? The former is much more powerful.

Either way, he's cool for 5 points--reminds me more of Marcu than Isamu.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old May 19th, 2015, 07:49 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

This is a really cool idea! He may work well with Theracus, who can eat any of the wounds that the Pact with Death would cause. Flying Famine directly into enemy lines would be a pretty good way to knock the curse out quickly. Theracus can still fly back home to ferry another unit in after Famine's feast anyways.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 19th, 2015, 07:59 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for all of the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evar-Scarcarver View Post
First: I really like this guy!

Second: You might want to make it so that your own figures cannot attack him. Balance is certainly not my area of expertise, but that's my first thought.

Third: I really like this guy!

Keep up the good work, Ixe.
Glad to hear it. I'm really not concerned about your own figures attacking it. If you have to waste attacks to destroy your own figure it is acting as quite the hindrance. The fact that it has 3 life and defense means that you won't necessarily drop it in one shot, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Does this mean that you're moving the wound from Famine to another unit, or does it function like the Glyph of Wannok? The former is much more powerful.

Either way, he's cool for 5 points--reminds me more of Marcu than Isamu.
The wording is modified from the Glyph of Wannok. Famine does not transfer any wounds. It only hurts your team. It definitely has a lot more in common with Marcu given the potential to do more harm than help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
This is a really cool idea! He may work well with Theracus, who can eat any of the wounds that the Pact with Death would cause. Flying Famine directly into enemy lines would be a pretty good way to knock the curse out quickly. Theracus can still fly back home to ferry another unit in after Famine's feast anyways.
That could be a way to play it but, as with most filler, advancing it too early means you were wasting all that time you could have been advancing the rest of your army. Getting it out there for a couple attacks of 4, while not that much of investment from a points perspective, will set you back on board position.
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:06 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

I would use him as an order marker sink for the first round or two. Four Attack is nothing to scoff at, and can hit someone like Sir GibGibs for a fair amount of damage. His home seems like a Q9/Raelin/'Reavers build. Charge him in to attract attention and tie up some enemies. If he's not destroyed, A couple 'Reavers down won't hurt. If a few order markers are lost, Scatter should migitate the effect until the next round. This is my new favorite filler because it's so complicated in when you want to use him.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:14 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
I would use him as an order marker sink for the first round or two. Four Attack is nothing to scoff at, and can hit someone like Sir GibGibs for a fair amount of damage. His home seems like a Q9/Raelin/'Reavers build. Charge him in to attract attention and tie up some enemies. If he's not destroyed, A couple 'Reavers down won't hurt. If a few order markers are lost, Scatter should migitate the effect until the next round. This is my new favorite filler because it's so complicated in when you want to use him.
You'd be giving up alot of board control though.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well, even a single wound on pretty much any non-Marcu unit costs you more than the 5 points it takes to draft him, so if ya don't use him early you'll regret bringing him at all.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old May 19th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker

I want to see HoSS make Jar Jar a 5 point hero. (Totally off topic) Anyway, you really captured that "do I want to round out my army, or take the risk" aspect here. I personally would be too scared to use him.
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:34 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Well, even a single wound on pretty much any non-Marcu unit costs you more than the 5 points it takes to draft him, so if ya don't use him early you'll regret bringing him at all.

~TAF
Put him and Marcu in your army, ain't so bad for late game.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Famine

I'm not sure how I feel about this unit. The design is sort of contradictory; he isn't a great early or mid game unit (though not terrible, I suppose) so he seems to fit best as cleanup. However, the longer you wait to use him, the worse of a liability he is. He's perhaps best used as an early game quick strike (thankfully his 6 move helps there). On the other hand, if you have 25pts left, Marcu + Famine is probably the best you can do, even if you wait until endgame to use either.

I suppose my biggest concern is how valuable he is as an early game striker for only 5pts. Probably not great considering how much potential board presence you need to give up to use him, but with his stats he might be super good.
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:06 AM

This design has been drumming up quite the stir. Thanks to everyone for the comments! I suppose it is worth noting that while its upfront cost of 5 pts is as low as it gets, you can end up "paying" more than that throughout the game for each wound it inflicts upon your army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Thanks for the high praise! That does sound like an interesting strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not User Name View Post
Anyway, you really captured that "do I want to round out my army, or take the risk" aspect here. I personally would be too scared to use him.
Exactly what I'm striving for. I suspect I'd pass on it more often than not as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
[B]The design is sort of contradictory; he isn't a great early or mid game unit (though not terrible, I suppose) so he seems to fit best as cleanup. However, the longer you wait to use him, the worse of a liability he is. He's perhaps best used as an early game quick strike (thankfully his 6 move helps there). On the other hand, if you have 25pts left, Marcu + Famine is probably the best you can do, even if you wait until endgame to use either.

I suppose my biggest concern is how valuable he is as an early game striker for only 5pts. Probably not great considering how much potential board presence you need to give up to use him, but with his stats he might be super good.
Drafting it with Marcu turns your 5 point filler into 2 figures eating up 25 points of your army. Its effective cost is higher than the 5 shown and is instead split up with Marcu. It's probably a good strategy to use it all said and done, but I don't think it is problematic from a balance perspective.

I just have my doubts that using it your first round is any sort of dominant strategy. How many armies do you rely on Isamu for the first round of combat, even if you could be reasonably certain that the Vanish would last the round? You'd still be falling behind on the position of the rest of your army. Even if it did some damage to start, you could very likely have to deal with incoming wounds anyway. Maybe on a map where board presence isn't as significant but I'd say it's overall pretty niche. Regardless, there will only be so many armies where this strategy is even feasible, still accomplishing my goal of avoiding it from being a near auto-include.

My biggest concern by far is for armies that actually want to accrue wounds in a controllable way. The uptake is pretty slow but being able to drop wounds onto the champion of the Macdirks or to power up Krug for free seems like its best use. It can always overstay its welcome, but that's what I think needs to be tested the most at least.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards