Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: M.A.R.S. at Mechanicon Multi-Day NHSD Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
I really like the idea of rewarding the top contenders from each general. Otherwise I doubt we will see Ullar represented at all. My only concern with this approach would be if someone were to be the only player to show up with an Ullar army and "win" without even playing a game. Maybe each general who has three or more players representing them would be eligible for their own prize. Any faction with less than three armies representing it could be grouped into a miscellaneous catagory.
My thinking is MW will have to see how many people are coming. Prizes for the top army for each general, assuming there are enough attendees to warrant them, would not have to have any real value. Some suitable token or nice thing.

This is a little far for Drewcula, but if he was coming I'd ask him nicely to see if he had time to put together appropriate trophies. Something like that.

Anyway. Just spitballing; I'm confident MW will have these issues in hand by the time the event rolls around.

And I'm rolling with .* Go Ravens!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 24th, 2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: * ~ Maybe not.
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:

I really like the idea of rewarding the top contenders from each general. Otherwise I doubt we will see Ullar represented at all. My only concern with this approach would be if someone were to be the only player to show up with an Ullar army and "win" without even playing a game. Maybe each general who has three or more players representing them would be eligible for their own prize. Any faction with less than three armies representing it could be grouped into a miscellaneous catagory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post

My thinking is MW will have to see how many people are coming. Prizes for the top army for each general, assuming there are enough attendees to warrant them, would NOT have to have any real value. Some suitable token or nice thing.This is a little far for Drewcula, but if he was coming I'd ask him nicely to see if he had time to put together appropriate trophies. Something like that.
You guys bring up some great points and just to stir the pot a little more:

#1. How about we roll a d6 to determine which of the generals EVERYONE has to bring an army for (1 = Aquilla, 2 = Einar, 3 = Jandar, 4 = Ullar, 5 = Utgar, 6 = Vydar, etc.). YES... we're going to see a lot of similar armies and the same units on both sides of the table, which will have to be marked in some way to differentiate them ...BUT... this "level playing-field type of match up" might separate the jedi warriors from the padawan learners as we truely determine who has the best skills in aactical Order Marker management and whom the dice gods want to favor that day.

...OR...

#2. Have a pre-tournament sign-up process and limit the number of categories to two or three AND limit the maximum number of participants in each category to six or eight. We could pair up the generals, i.e.: Aquilla + Einar, Jandar + Ullar, Utgar + Vydar; or select pairs randomly; or do a GOOD vs. EVIL event like SpidySox ran in Reading a few years ago. Participants would have to choose if they want to play and fight against other Einar+Jandar+Ullar armies or Aquilla+Utgar+Vydar armies. Can we do three simultaneous events with 8 players in each using 12 maps on six tables? OR ... two simultaneous events with 12 players in each using 12 maps on six tables? I think this approach would be better that trying to run six simultaneous events with 4 players in each using the same 12 maps on those same six tables?

...ALSO...

#3. As far as "Some suitable token or nice thing" ...without "any real value" - does anyone have access to or familiarity with ordering maybe a dozen T-Shirts with an appropriate M.A.R.S. logo? One of my National Guard buddies was always coming up with such a gift for the retirees because his brother owned a silk-screening business, and gave him a good deal. I don't want to pay $20 for each one, but I would donate some cash toward that project.

&obtw: I picked up about a dozen old Little League and Bowling League trophies at a second hand store for $o.50 each, and they are not hard to take apart and then reassemble as HS prizes... you just have to sacrifice one figure spray painted gold to glue on top and some time, which I don't seem to have enough of these days. This is just a suggestion for anyone who feels so inclined to pursue it. I do already have three (3x) trophies that I made by gluing a spray painted HS figure (1x GOLD, 1x SILVER, & 1x BRONZE) on to an appropriate size and color candle stick, which I will donate to the CON-organizer for ONE of the tournaments. We'll need three more.

P.S. I also have a couple of *new* (still in shrink-wrap) inexpensive games that I can donate as prizes for various events... and probably others in our group can do likewise - if they clean out their closets.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:15 PM

shaugville is surprisingly tart

[quote=Johngee;1468323]
Quote:

#1. How about we roll a d6 to determine which of the generals EVERYONE has to bring an army for (1 = Aquilla, 2 = Einar, 3 = Jandar, 4 = Ullar, 5 = Utgar, 6 = Vydar, etc.). YES... we're going to see a lot of similar armies and the same units on both sides of the table, which will have to be marked in some way to differentiate them ...BUT... this "level playing-field type of match up" might separate the jedi warriors from the padawan learners as we truely determine who has the best skills in aactical Order Marker management and whom the dice gods want to favor that day.
I think for some generals, this might instead separate those that have access to a lot of figures from those who do not, either because they don't have enough of the best units, or because they don't have _any_ of some of the best units. Might not be that big a deal. It certainly would work to my advantage, as I have enough of each general that the die roll wouldn't affect me too much.

12 tournaments: 27-26 record (3-1 4-1 2-2 2-3 3-2 2-2 2-3 3-2 2-3 2-2 2-2 0-3)
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:32 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Here are my thoughts thus far, and a bit of an update on where we are with prize support:

1) I've confirmed that we can get NHSD prize support for each event that has at least 12 people registered. So please, if you're planning on attending, or even just likely to attend, sign up so that we can get the best count to R˙chean in time for prize support to be distributed.
2) For General Wars, my plan currently is to rank by placement within each general, so that if we get enough prize support, all of the top players for each general would get something, and if we can't do that much, then the best records among the top players for each general would receive prizes. So, in other words, if we can give prizes to the top 4 finishers, we'd take the top player for each general and the top 4 records among those players would get the prizes. This in particular is why signing up will be important for these events because we'll get more support if we have more players.
3) I have calls out to several game companies that you would all know to find out if we can get some sponsorship for our event. I will update this thread as I get confirmation from those companies of whether or not they'll be supporting us.
4) There are a couple of other ideas in the works right now that I'm not ready to share but suffice to say that I'm excited about them and I think you will be too.
5) I'm investigating a way to fund additional prize support for us by making some custom HS dice through Chessex. If we can get enough people who would be interested, I believe we could order sets of 8 for $30. These would be engraved, painted, high-quality Chessex dice. We would need to have 13 people commit to ordering these in order to make it work, but if we did, we could generate around $6 per set that could go back into prizes. Plus, we'd get really cool custom HS dice that would be unlike anything else I've seen. If I pulled this together, would anyone be interested?

More to come - as I get info, I'll post it here.
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

MW, you can put us down for one set.

Your prize distribution idea for General Wars sounds very clever. Excellent idea.

= =
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:38 PM

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh, and Ullar for General Wars - if someone doesn't bring Venocs x 7 plus Mittens, I'll be stunned.
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Hey MW, can I borrow 4 squads of Venocs?

= =
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

MW put me down for Sunday as well. I can't likely make Friday.

I'm working on my daughter and my brother in law for Saturday. Don't put them down, but I'm trying to get them there.

I'd be in for dice.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I know I'm already on the list, but you can add Xanth for Sat. and Sun. as well. I'm going to try for Friday too, but that may be impossible.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Friday:
mad_wookiee
Jay
tom
Northgate
Justine
Mason
Johngee
Arcus

Saturday:
mad_wookiee
Jay
Dad_scaper
Kidscaper
tom
Northgate
Justine
Mason
clancampbell
xanth
spidysox
Johngee
Arcus

Sunday:
mad_wookiee
Jay
tom
Northgate
Justine
Mason
clancampbell
xanth
spidysox
Johngee
Arcus
Old August 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM

The map list is done!

Hellsgate

Sidewinder

Jungle Wall

Badru Valley

Umbra

Sirocco

Blackroot

Overgrown

Katsuno Land (Swamp)

Boiling Point

Last edited by mad_wookiee; September 5th, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:33 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post

<~snip/snip~>

5) I'm investigating a way to fund additional prize support for us by making some custom HS dice through Chessex. If we can get enough people who would be interested, I believe we could order sets of 8 for $30. These would be engraved, painted, high-quality Chessex dice. We would need to have 13 people commit to ordering these in order to make it work, but if we did, we could generate around $6 per set that could go back into prizes. Plus, we'd get really cool custom HS dice that would be unlike anything else I've seen. If I pulled this together, would anyone be interested? More to come - as I get info, I'll post it here.
Hmmm..... sooo are these going to be "really cool custom *HS* dice" with engraved Skulls and Shields and not just ones that say, "MechaniCon-West Chester, PA-2011"? Well then I'd also be interested, but I might need two sets, since I'd need more than 8 for DW-9000's defense or Q-9's Quiglix Gun.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day