Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: M.A.R.S. at Mechanicon NHSD Event

I will try to see if I can get some Ohio people to carpool down there, as our NHSD will most likely be three weeks earlier October 15 in Columbus. It would be a 6 1/2 hour trip each way though, so I'd have to seriously think about it

You guys should also get Battleship Galaxies events going too. It fits the theme of the con, and I am sure if you added it to the scheduled event listing, people outside of Heroscapers.com and BattleshipGalaxians.com would sign up.

Last edited by lefton4ya; August 1st, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:59 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I will try to see if I can get some Ohio people to carpool down there, as our NHSD will most likely be three weeks earlier October 15 in Columbus. It would be a 6 1/2 hour trip each way though

You guys should also get Battleship Galaxies events going too. It fits the them of the con, and I am sure if you added it to the scheduled event listing, people outside of Heroscapers.com and BattleshipGalaxians.com would sign up.
That would be awesome! We'd love to get a huge turnout for this.

Battleship Galaxies will be present but probably not in an official capacity, unless someone else wants to run it. I'm not sure how to work it into the schedule at the moment. But we're planning for down time and I know several copies will be present.
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I will try to see if I can get some Ohio people to carpool down there, as our NHSD will most likely be three weeks earlier October 15 in Columbus. It would be a 6 1/2 hour trip each way though, so I'd have to seriously think about it

You guys should also get Battleship Galaxies events going too. It fits the theme of the con, and I am sure if you added it to the scheduled event listing, people outside of Heroscapers.com and BattleshipGalaxians.com would sign up.
That would be awesome if some of the Ohio Scapers could make it out! I will definitely be bringing my copy of Battleship Galaxies and would love to play some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Also, everyone should remember that the fun doesn't have to stop once the HS events are over for the day. I would love to get in some other games like Battleship Galaxies, Battlestar Galactica, or whatever else somebody wants to play after the tournaments on Friday and Saturday.
I plan to be there until very, very late. Battlestar Galactica is a must play in my book.
Awesome! Honestly, the chance to play other games with you guys is one of the biggest selling points for me to attend.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Could we start the 2d event an hour later, from 4-9? I'd love to be able to have a look around the event, or maybe bust out some SW or BG with some of you guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will want some non-Scape time, too.
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem if we do 50 minute rounds. It would give us a bit more time for lunch too.
I think the extended break is a great idea. It will allow people to check out the rest of the Con as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
We should also discuss glyphs and who will volunteer for maps,setup, cleanup etc... Many hands make light work.
This has been on my mind. Later this week I'm going to start looking at my stuff and seeing what an optimal map pool might be given my sets. I think I can get 8-10 maps out of my stuff if I do it right. We'll need additional help on that front as that's a normal tournament load and I'm hoping to blow the doors off of Saturday.
You know I can bring another 10 maps if need be. That right there gets us enough maps for 36 to 40 players.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
Love the formats, but 400 pts. for general wars seems a little slim to me. I'm a fan of the 500pt ones, but I understand keeping it changed up if that is what you were thinking.
I'm leaning this way for two reasons: time, as Clan suggested, and because there are some really fun builds at the lower point totals that we don't see all that often. I'm open to adjusting it though if everyone would like to go up to, say, 450.
Either point total is fine with me.

Quote:
I'm also considering some stuff like achievements throughout the weekend - things like most mindshackles and most 1 hit KOs. Keep it simple but maybe have a small bit of swag for the person with the achievement. I'd like to get some fun trophies going too - we haven't done that in a while. And, if Johngee is coming, I think he could do a wicked display map - heck, that monster he brought on Saturday would be awesome.
That is cool and I like how it encourages people to stay and play all weekend.

One last thing, can we get the thread title changed to read "M.A.R.S. at Mechanicon NHSD Multi-Day Event". It may help to get some more people outside of our region to click on the thread.
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

I'm good with the 400 pt. total for General Wars, I understand the reasoning behind it perfectly.

I love the idea of achievements for the event. That could really make for a great addition to a fun weekend.

If I am there on one of the nights I would love some Battlestar Galactica, that game is the bomb (If Tom plays, assume he is a Cylon)

I would love to see the Ohio contingent come out so if you can make it happen Lefton4ya, make it so!

Does it make sense to have Mad_Wookie and Tom be the primary suppliers of maps for this event? The reason why I ask is that it would seem to be easier and less likely for there to be mixed up map pieces if just 2 people are supplying them as opposed to our normal 4 or 5 map builders.

As far as trophies are concerned, we have 2 out there that never made their way back home. The Golden Deathwalker (The original trophy in our region) is with Kalislord somewhere and the one for last years NHSD is gone as well. I imagine that we can come up with something new for this though

@ Tom, I changed the thread title, hope your happy!

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: M.A.R.S. at Mechanicon Multi-Day NHSD Event

in the... OH! Bye The Way category... I never got around to hosting a tournament in Monmouth County (on the North Jersey Shore) as I wanted to, because I couldn't find a suitable (& afforadable) location and then my house was up for sale and the wife said I couldn't use it either -BUT- in my spare time I just happened to build THREE HeroSpace TROPHIES (for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place), which (now that I've moved to the South Jersey Shore [and down-sized considerably]) my wife would be glad if I donated them to this EVENT.

Quote:
. . . And, if Johngee is coming, I think he could do a wicked display map - heck, that monster he brought on Saturday would be awesome.
Thanks for the KUDOS M_W. Now I'm glad that I haven't taken it apart yet, but I wasn't planning on leaving it up until until *NOVEMBER!* Welll I do have a knack of embellisihing any map that I work on, so I'm sure that I could come up with something and gladly volunteer a "Display Map" if you feel my creations are too complex to actually play a game on. So far everything sounds GREAT, so yes I am planning to attend.

F.Y.I. ~ I've seen a few episodes of the TV series BattleStar Gallactica, so I understand the basic story line and I've heard that the game is a lot of fun -BUT- I'm more of a Med-Fan kind of guy and prefer "Shadows Over Camelot" base loosley upon the King Arthur stories, which has similar team-play mechanics with secret traitors within the ranks -AND- it usually always in the back of my car if anyone want to play that also.

#4. If the Ohioians start coming to our events will we have to change the name again to something like: M.A.R.A.L.E.S.???*

*Mid-Atlantic Region And Lake Eire 'Scapers

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; August 2nd, 2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Added additional thoughts rather than double post
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:14 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'd love it if the Ohio guys could come out and throw down with us!

As far as playing other games with you guys, "oh hells yes!"

I still want to play Monsterpocolypse with you guys. (I blame Tom and Mad Wookie for getting me interested.) I hear the folks from Privateer Press (makers of said MonPoc) will be there. So perhaps they might have an event going. (Of course it looks like my days will be filled with scape, which isn't a bad thing.)

EDIT: Even the football goods are with me. The Ravens don't play until Sunday Night at 8:20 on the 6th! Now I don't have to choose between scape and football.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

Last edited by clancampbell; August 1st, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Final formats below:

Friday, Nov 4, 5pm - 9pm - Assassin's Guild: Players bring a pre-drafted 450 point Heroscape army containing at least one unique/uncommon hero, no Marvel. Army cannot exceed 24 hexes. Each player must also bring one Brandar's Chest glyph that will be given to a hero in that player's army at the start of the game. A player wins the game immediately if he or she controls both Brandar's Chest glyphs at the end of any turn; eliminating an opposing army will still result in a victory as normal. Four matches of 50 minutes.

Saturday, Nov 5, 10am - 2pm - General Wars: Players bring a pre-drafted 400 point Heroscape army, no Marvel. Army cannot exceed 24 hexes. All Army Cards MUST be from the same Valkyrie General. Valkrill units will be classified as Utgar for this event. Four matches of 50 minutes.

Saturday, Nov 5, 4pm - 9pm - MARS Throwdown: Players bring a pre-drafted 520 point Heroscape army, no Marvel. Army cannot exceed 24 hexes. Five matches of 50 minutes.

Sunday, Nov 6, 10am - 3 pm - Heroes Only: Players bring a pre-drafted 550 point Heroscape army that does not include squad units. Marvel allowed. Army cannot exceed 12 hexes. Five matches of 50 minutes.

Last edited by mad_wookiee; August 1st, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:00 AM

Northgate knows what's in an order marker Northgate knows what's in an order marker

@ Johngee - I was reading about Shadows Over Camelot last night, and I would be interested in learning how to play.

In addition, I have heard a lot about MonPoc and I would like to learn how to play that game as well. We can bring Summoner Wars and/or Munchkin from our collection as well.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 07:19 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Updated the OP with the official event schedule

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post
@ Johngee - I was reading about Shadows Over Camelot last night, and I would be interested in learning how to play.

In addition, I have heard a lot about MonPoc and I would like to learn how to play that game as well. We can bring Summoner Wars and/or Munchkin from our collection as well.
@ NorthGate ~ Great! I think it's a lot of FUN, and it can accomodate up to 8 players, although 5 - 6 is probably best. If the timing is right I'd be up for it. And if we've got ALL WEEKEND, I'm sure we can squeezgee in a round or two. I watched Tom and Scott play MonPoc once, and I played Summoner Wars once with Scott - both seemed interesting and I'd like to play both of them a few times to get the hang of them. I was tempted to suggest Shadows Over Camelot on Saturday after our "Pizza Party" ...but there's a lot of reading of cards and team collusion to reach a consenous pertaining to "Best Option" to choose; with explanations for new players, it can run 2.5 - 3 hours ...and I thought that was kind of too much for Mason to grasp. There's something about aliens looking like humans and being among us and then having one or more players pretending in a game scenario that they are THEM, that freaks me out, almost as much as zombies coming after me in a board game. I guess it's too close to reality. At least in Medieval Times everyone knows that dragons are only a figment of someone's imagination... right?

@ Everyone ~ Being a little tight on cash... I've been avoiding picking up any new "collectible" or "expanding" board games, but if I have any money left after GenCon, which ONE would you reccomend and why... ?
1. Monster-pocalypse (MonPoc)
2. Summoner Wars
3. Battleship Galaxies
4. Dominion
5. Thunderstone
6. The [new] Lord of the Rings [Living] Card Game
7. Sumtingelse

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM

grunttactics Woo who?

This sounds like a great event. My personal preference is to minimize glyph usage. What do you need in terms of volunteer work?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
@ Everyone ~ Being a little tight on cash... I've been avoiding picking up any new "collectible" or "expanding" board games, but if I have any money left after GenCon, which ONE would you reccomend and why... ?
1. Monster-pocalypse (MonPoc)
2. Summoner Wars
3. Battleship Galaxies
4. Dominion
5. Thunderstone
6. The [new] Lord of the Rings [Living] Card Game
7. Sumtingelse
That's a tough call, as most of these are on either my favorites list or my must-try list. Out of anything, though, I think I'd go with the Summoner Wars Master Set coming out in a few weeks. It's got the biggest bang-for-your-buck with six factions out of the box plus a premium board. The other stuff I think you're going to want to expand almost immediately, even Dominion (which I personally can't fathom playing without the Prosperity expansion). You can go for a while on the SW Master Set without needing anything additional.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day