Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old November 21st, 2008, 01:54 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Dignan's Maps - New Map - 11/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Some players will argue that they like to move their army out of a bunched start zone toward their opponent in a very uniform way. These players may see this maps start zones as detrimental to the way they like to play the game. I don't think that these start zones really break up a player's "formations", they just have to think a little more about their initial moves. I think that players can still deploy their "rat shields" or "knight vanguards" on this map, it just might result in changing up their initial order marker placement. This is the whole point of this map: to mix things up and keep players thinking.
If tournament/competative players can't compete in a tournament without doing the same old "rat shields" or "knight vanguards" or one of the other 2 or 3 most effective tried and true methods of winning tournaments because a map like this one, or a few more like it end up on the tables, then I say that player who may have earned a name on the tournaments scene doesn't deserve the reputation.

Just because you've figured out an arrangement that works most of the time with the standard map designs for tournament and you WASH, RINSE, REPEAT, does not make you a very good player.

Maps that challenge those tried and true methods are sorely needed. And this one fits the bill. You didn't even argue enough for the "fliers can get to the glyphs in one turn" arguement. I don't think the origin of that criticism even considered 1) How poorly that figure is positioned; or 2) that some flyers may not even be able to fit on middle hexes given the placement of the ruins. Those winged figures can be hard to fit around ruins.

This map begs to be playtested for BOV more than any I've ever seen just from its originality standpoint. Understand, if it doesn't make it, it may set the stage for the next one with scattered zones to get a review.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:38 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
On a lot of maps, going second is better. Even in maps or situations where going first is really beneficial (Zelrig on Fire Isles for instance), I find that going second is still pretty nice, largely because you get more attacks (as Dignan said) and it opens up the chance of getting two turns in a row if you win Initiative in the second round. That can often be a huge momentum changer. If anything, I might prefer maps that give a slight advantage to the guy who goes first.

Exception: If both players are playing Deathreavers and there are powerful glyphs on the board (especially Crevcor, Astrid, Gerda, Erland etc.) then there is a distinct advantage to the player who wins initiative if the player who loses initiative does not have a powerful special attack.

However, many of the early maps in the BoV will surrender all of the glyphs to whichever rat player wins the initiative on round 1, and they'll have them by turn 2. The only ones I can think of offhand that don't are Hot Heights and Ember Canyon Road, and for HH, the fact that the glyphs were not equal from both starting zones was considered a pretty big flaw by at least one judge. Some more recent maps, like Fire Isles and Turret Rocks take at least 3 turns for rats to walk there, but they still give them to whoever wins initiative.

As for your map specifically
Dignan, I'm with you on the double spaced front. Show me an army that uses more than 10 double spaced figures, and I'll show you an army that would struggle on any map. The most double spaced figures I've seen in an army in any tournament was 7, and that was when I played Krug and 6 Swogs. I don't think I'll ever see someone play more than 9.
Ollie played
2xTemplars-240
Q9-180
2xDeathreavers-80
14 spaces, went 3-1 and got second place with it in Chaos in the Capital!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

And he used 7 double-spaced figures. And when I was talking about armies that I've seen, I was referring to the tournaments that I've attended, although I don't think I've ever seen a battle report or army list that included 4x Deathstalkers or Hounds. Even Pilgrim's 3x Hounds army still would have fit just fine on Can't see the jungle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
On a lot of maps, going second is better. Even in maps or situations where going first is really beneficial (Zelrig on Fire Isles for instance), I find that going second is still pretty nice, largely because you get more attacks (as Dignan said) and it opens up the chance of getting two turns in a row if you win Initiative in the second round. That can often be a huge momentum changer. If anything, I might prefer maps that give a slight advantage to the guy who goes first.

Exception: If both players are playing Deathreavers and there are powerful glyphs on the board (especially Crevcor, Astrid, Gerda, Erland etc.) then there is a distinct advantage to the player who wins initiative if the player who loses initiative does not have a powerful special attack.

However, many of the early maps in the BoV will surrender all of the glyphs to whichever rat player wins the initiative on round 1, and they'll have them by turn 2. The only ones I can think of offhand that don't are Hot Heights and Ember Canyon Road, and for HH, the fact that the glyphs were not equal from both starting zones was considered a pretty big flaw by at least one judge. Some more recent maps, like Fire Isles and Turret Rocks take at least 3 turns for rats to walk there, but they still give them to whoever wins initiative.

As for your map specifically
Dignan, I'm with you on the double spaced front. Show me an army that uses more than 10 double spaced figures, and I'll show you an army that would struggle on any map. The most double spaced figures I've seen in an army in any tournament was 7, and that was when I played Krug and 6 Swogs. I don't think I'll ever see someone play more than 9.
Ollie played
2xTemplars-240
Q9-180
2xDeathreavers-80
14 spaces, went 3-1 and got second place with it in Chaos in the Capital!
That's still only seven double-spacers Shades. I did think about using Deathstalkers x3, Q10, Marro Warriors (500pts, 24 hexes) at the Fall Brawl last week. That would have been 10 double-spacers. Whether it would have done well is another question.
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

And there are your own armies Shades, that beat mine for double-hexness:

Marlboro vs the World =500
Q9-180
DW 8000-130
Isamu-10
2x Marrden hounds-180
2-2

UConn =450
3xMarrden Hounds-270
Q9-180
3-2
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
And there are your own armies Shades, that beat mine for double-hexness:

Marlboro vs the World =500
Q9-180
DW 8000-130
Isamu-10
2x Marrden hounds-180
2-2

UConn =450
3xMarrden Hounds-270
Q9-180
3-2
The Uconn army did very well IMO, and I enjoyed playing it. Obviously I misunderstood Jexik's early point, so my above point in moot, but I still believe that it should way into the judges mind when they judge the map. i have nothing against this map, and have yet to play it, so I'm holding off my opinion on it for now, but i'll be sure to give you my thoughts on the map Dignan.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Edit: Alright, fine, it's not neccesarilly a hijack, but this thread is about Dignan's maps, and the part I read towards the end didn't seem to have much to do with that.

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)

Last edited by Sup3rS0n1c; November 21st, 2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan View Post
... but i'll be sure to give you my thoughts on the map Dignan.

I'm pretty sure it stayed on topic based on the fact that the last poster talked about how he would provide his thoughts on the map...

Plus, the "hijack" by the discussion of double-spaced figure armies is relevant since "Can't see the Jungle" has irregular starting zones that could impact double-hex based armies.

Last edited by S1R_ART0R1US; November 21st, 2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Clarification!
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:43 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

And I'm saying it won't impact any double spaced army that has ever been to a tournament, since even those that use 10 double-spaced figures can fit them all on the map. If this were used at your tournament and you still insist on playing 4x Deathstalkers/Templar/whatever, then I don't know what to say. It's like saying that any map with 2 RotV ruins on it is unfair to range because they block line of sight.

Anyway... keep up the good work Dignan. We'll see how the reviews go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
Super Doopa

DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness DrLivingston wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played on this map against Podwest.

He had a crap load of MacDirk and I had a crappy army.

Podwest won and we used every bit of this map during the fight.

Every bit of it.

I do think Braxas or Nilf in the middle part would ruin someone's day.

But when I played it, I realized how lame those middles 3 start zones were for most everyone else.

Completely surrounded by water and sightlined blocked (for most anybody) by ruins.

What I'm saying is, unless I knew I was playing on this map for each of my games in a tournament, I would not be able to take advantage of its unique setup any more than I would with Broken Skyline, etc.

That said, I think Dignan has made better maps, but splitting up start zones in tournaments is something I'd like to see happen.

And as the maps are known before armies are selected, I do not see a problem with single hex start zones.

Last edited by DrLivingston; November 22nd, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Really, I pioneered split start zones with my map High Ground, Hot Ground...but it apparently sucked ***.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby! Anonymous rolls all skulls baby!

I really like your maps Dignan. I have played on Dolin's Switchback. That is one amazing map. It was an intense battle with much of it centering on the road and glyphs. It is a really good map. I also played on If You Can't Take the Heat... I also really liked that map. It was a fast-paced battle with many risks involved. I really like the maps I have played and I just downloaded Ticalla Outpost and I am going to build it. I applaud your mapmaking genius and hope you continue to make more amazing maps.
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I really like your maps Dignan. I have played on Dolin's Switchback. That is one amazing map. It was an intense battle with much of it centering on the road and glyphs. It is a really good map. I also played on If You Can't Take the Heat... I also really liked that map. It was a fast-paced battle with many risks involved. I really like the maps I have played and I just downloaded Ticalla Outpost and I am going to build it. I applaud your mapmaking genius and hope you continue to make more amazing maps.
Thanks a lot for all your kinds words. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed playing on my maps. Let me know how your games on Ticalla Outpost go.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios