Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Book of Emirroon

kc,

He's pretty tough for an Elf and he's a Wizard with all the Jorhdawn and Chardris powering redundancy that implies. In practice, KG goes down pretty quickly. Without Emiroon that leaves you just a single Elf from power erosion. Powerful as Raelin may be, she hurts both the flexibility and the endurance of an Elf army.

Having said that, I love playing Elf armies and highly recommend that you play a few games either way with them to get a feel for what I'm saying.

~Aldin, who supposes that if you are playing against someone who has a "Raelin must die first" mindset it could work

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
kc,

He's pretty tough for an Elf and he's a Wizard with all the Jorhdawn and Chardris powering redundancy that implies. In practice, KG goes down pretty quickly. Without Emiroon that leaves you just a single Elf from power erosion. Powerful as Raelin may be, she hurts both the flexibility and the endurance of an Elf army.

Having said that, I love playing Elf armies and highly recommend that you play a few games either way with them to get a feel for what I'm saying.

~Aldin, who supposes that if you are playing against someone who has a "Raelin must die first" mindset it could work
I've played many games with the standard 500 point Elven Wizard army, and I've also played a couple of 550 point games with Raelin, sans Kyntela. The 550 point version has been much, much stronger for me.

I've never played a game without Emirroon, but I started thinking about what I was using him for in the games I did play. I normally only activated him a couple times per game, right at the beginning. Then, I would kind of just forget about him, except to power up the fireballers. I figure that, even without him, Ulginesh still counts, and Arkmer probably isn't going to die first with all of his defensive buffs. That means that my enemy's first target will probably be Kyntela, but then either Raelin or one of the fireballers (assuming they can't reach Ulginesh without being heavily in the line of fire. If they can, I'm doing it wrong). Either way, both of my fireballers are at full strength until one of them dies. But, I would think it would take quite a while to kill one of them with Raelin's aura, or for them to kill Raelin first, and by then, I would think the ultimate outcome of the match would be seen (either way, win or lose). I just don't know how much Emirroon really helps there.

That 550 point version may have spoiled me. Raelin just seems to fit in so well with their group-hugging tendency that I really want to include her. Though, not at the expense of Arkmer and Kyntela, but maybe at the expense of Emirroon.

I kinda wish they would've taken away Ulginesh's ranged attack and made him 100 points....

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM

artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker

I tend to agree with Killer Cactus here, only so much importance can be placed on getting elves into position. When you throw Raelin in the mix the elves get more turns at higher attack value while they are in position. When I have played the elf army what I really noticed is how quickly things fall apart when Arkmer goes down and can no longer help block approaching melee squads from Jordhawn and Chardris.
Raelin helps the Elves in the area of their greatest weakness(survivability), Emmiroon only enhances(albeit greatly) what is already sort of a strength for the Elves(maneuverablity).

CORVUS
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Gluing The Mask On This Time...

Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby!

When I play the elves, Emirroon is usually a core figure in my army. Perhaps this is because he can keep my army together.

My Turn usually occurs in this relative order:

1. Activate OM on Ulginesh.
2. Mind Link to Emirroon.
3. Move Emirroon as far as possible and try to summon. (Usually Arkmer, Kyntella, or Jorhdawn. If I end out of range of Ulginesh, summon him as a priority.)
4. Active either Jorhdawn or Chardris, depending on situation, or activate stragglers.

My army (Usually 500pts) is almost always:

150- Ulginesh
200- Arkmer
300- Jorhdawn
380- Emirroon
400- Kyntella Gywn
490- Chardris
500- Isamu or Otonashi (depending on enemy's cards)

~Those who live by the dice, die by the dice.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

How do you win only attacking once per Order Marker? I would think that's just not enough offense....

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemaster View Post
3. Move Emirroon as far as possible and try to summon. (Usually Arkmer, Kyntella, or Jorhdawn. If I end out of range of Ulginesh, summon him as a priority.)
4. Active either Jorhdawn or Chardris, depending on situation, or activate stragglers.
If you switch the order of your mind link, Emirroon gets an additional +1 due to adjacency with Jorhdawn/Chardris.

As far as Raelin goes, I think the elves are up there with the KMA in terms of figures that really benefit from Raelin's aura. There's a lot of life in the army, and not much defense protecting it. Whether Emirroon is the one to leave out I can't say, but I'm willing to bet the most successful version of the wizard posse at any given point total would include Raelin.
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I was coming up with nicknames for the Elven Wizards recently, and I called this one Emily. Thoughts?

and..... Arkmer
No nickname for Arkmer?!?? Admiral Arkmer! It's a trap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

As far as Raelin goes, I think the elves are up there with the KMA in terms of figures that really benefit from Raelin's aura. There's a lot of life in the army, and not much defense protecting it. Whether Emirroon is the one to leave out I can't say, but I'm willing to bet the most successful version of the wizard posse at any given point total would include Raelin.
I agree - I think Raelin really helps them. I can't find a way to leave out one of the strikers so, at 500 points, he's the only one that's left. I like the mobility, but I think generally attack and defense are better.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
How do you win only attacking once per Order Marker? I would think that's just not enough offense....

I am not overly successful with the elves, but I play them in a similar manner. You do tend to get enough attacks in with them, so I've found, because after one or two teleports, you are then free to attack with your ranged Elf wizards, usually for multiple turns, before needing to teleport again.

Quote:
If you switch the order of your mind link, Emirroon gets an additional +1 due to adjacency with Jorhdawn/Chardris.
This goes under the 'You learn something everyday" category. I had no idea Emirroon benefited from his adjacent buddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I was coming up with nicknames for the Elven Wizards recently, and I called this one Emily. Thoughts?
We just call him Enron.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You would think that Emirroons nickname would just be 'Ron'. Thats right, Ron the elf wizard who can teleport his buddies and not much else.

I am looking forward to actually trying the elf party in practice. They seem very interesting. Much different than most groups.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Rocket View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not quite sure I follow you here... +1 what?
Good Point, there is nothing on his card about a +1 bonus for anything. I dont think there is anything transferrable from a different elf either unless I am mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emirroon's card
ELVEN SUMMONING SPELL

After moving and before attacking, you may roll the 20-sided die. Add the number of Elves you control adjacent to Emirroon to your die roll.
If you move Chardris/Jorhdawn first, they are adjacent to Emirroon when he rolls for summoning, thus adding one to his summoning result.
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
No nickname for Arkmer?!?? Admiral Arkmer! It's a trap!
LOL

As for the Emirroon vs. Raelin, I've contemplated this decision myself. I feel that the army benefits more from Raelin than from Emirroon. The elves simply have too low defense, from my experience. I much prefer to pair their high life totals with a solid defense advantage. In the event that I use Raelin, Ulginesh's mind link still enables me to move 2 wizards per OM so that I can set up and benefit from the Wizard +3A bonuses and adjacency bonuses (e.g. Arkmer, Kyntela Gwynn).

In practice, I've often kept Emirroon and included Raelin at the expense of either Chardris or Jorhdawn. In which case, I was activating Arkmer and Chardris or Arkmer and Jorhdawn for my attacks. In these instances, my army has suffered considerably once I lost my first elf. After which, my entire army's demise was swift.

I should point out that I haven't experimented much with teleporting troops around once the fighting begins (ala Yo-Yo). I think I'll try teleportation out more before I completely rule out Emirroon in favour of Raelin.

Last edited by mccombju; May 20th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM

Elginb has disabled reputation

The advantage Emirroon has over Raelin is that he can remove a figure from danger completely, as opposed to merely boosting defense. My friend's Elf army frustrated my undead army to no end because he kept teleporting his vulnerable Heroes and ranged units away from my Shades and Vampires. People may get too caught up in the idea of using Emirroon as a means of advancing troops while ignoring his talent for strategic withdrawal.

I know some people like a Saylind/Kelda combo to create a M*A*S*H unit. Since Emirroon is a more reliable teleporter than Saylind, and since there are a lot of Unique Heroes amongst the elves, I bet Kelda would be a good choice to use with an elven hero army. I haven't tried it yet-- anybody had any success with that combo?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units