Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

View Poll Results: Is figure A or B the replica Sir Hawthorne?
A 25 25.51%
B 66 67.35%
The paint jobs look the same to me! 4 4.08%
Why should I care, there is no Sir Hawthorne in Heroscape! 3 3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
Can you spot a replica Sir Hawthorne repaint?

MrBarkyPants commissioned me to repaint him a Knight of Weston into a Sir Hawthorne (and a Swog Rider into a Nerak.) I think I got a pretty good match on the paint job, what do you all think?

Unfortunately Sir H's shield design has a transfer decal that cannot be exactly replicated, so from the front it is easier to tell which one is the replica, but I think I did a good enough job on the shield that even I have to do a double take to tell them apart. See the front/ shield images in my thread: funrun's HS Fig Repaints

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
First off very well done...the difference I see is that one of them is a bit to shiny where the real Hawthorne is dulled down a bit. It is still a very nice job though. I just think the gloss factor on the silver and black are coming through a bit.
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight
First off very well done...the difference I see is that one of them is a bit to shiny where the real Hawthorne is dulled down a bit. It is still a very nice job though. I just think the gloss factor on the silver and black are coming through a bit.
Shhhhhh!
I know that is the main difference. The gloss comes from the shine of the plastic itself being molded in black, so there's not much I can do about that unless I try to find some gloss to paint over him, which I think could end up looking fake, plus it adds more time and money to my work, so I didn't want to bother .

funrun's HS Repaints
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:44 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
I didn't look at sky's response, but the colors are slightly off. The "tell" to me was that the forgery has a little too much paint on the lower haft of his sword below the hand. The glove has a slight line that goes along its outer side and below the hand. You painted this gold like the sword haft, when it's black on the original.

Very nice, though.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc
I didn't look at sky's response, but the colors are slightly off. The "tell" to me was that the forgery has a little too much paint on the lower haft of his sword below the hand. The glove has a slight line that goes along its outer side and below the hand. You painted this gold like the sword haft, when it's black on the original.

Very nice, though.
Hehe, good find man, the photo angle made that part really obvious to me too, but I've seen enough of the same HS figures before to know that sometimes the factory paints certain lines and sometimes they don't, and sometimes a marro is red, pink, brown, or bone.

funrun's HS Repaints
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
A light gloss varnish may work better then you think, especially if you can thin it a bit. If you use a gloss spray from a good distance it might work as well.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The real Hawthorne is the one with the longer sword.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
The real Hawthorne is the one with the longer sword.
GB...stop bragging
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
It looks great! That was some good freehand work on the shield too. Very impressive. In case you ever do it again and want to use a decal for the shield, I have instructions and pics here:

http://heroscapers.com/community/sho...r=asc&start=30

The decal comes pretty darn close. It's just a little less crisp than the original because I had to get the graphic from a photo of Sir H.

And for what it's worth, I actually like the matte look better than the glossy original. Did you use a sealing coat? You could use a glossy sealer if you wanted. I used a matte finish myself and am very pleased with the results.
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
It looks great! That was some good freehand work on the shield too. Very impressive. In case you ever do it again and want to use a decal for the shield, I have instructions and pics here:

http://heroscapers.com/community/sho...r=asc&start=30

The decal comes pretty darn close. It's just a little less crisp than the original because I had to get the graphic from a photo of Sir H.

And for what it's worth, I actually like the matte look better than the glossy original. Did you use a sealing coat? You could use a glossy sealer if you wanted. I used a matte finish myself and am very pleased with the results.
Thanks for the link. I like your matte finish. I may have to look for that product next time I'm in the craft store.

funrun's HS Repaints
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Can you spot a replica Sir Hawthorne repaint?

Nice job!

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Thumbs up Re: Can you spot a replica Sir Hawthorne repaint?

I can't vote (I'm late) but if I had, I would've voted for B. Then I read the 2nd post of this thread. B is wrong. Great job!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards