Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old September 25th, 2023, 12:59 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Dead Weight Format

This thread is dedicated to the Dead Weight format. Pairings for upcoming events can be found here, along with discussion, suggestions, and edits.

Heroscape Format: Dead Weight (Classic Only)

Every time you draft a unit, you must take its accompanying Dead Weight unit(s), for better or worse. For every copy of a common card you draft, you must draft the appropriate amount of accompanying common cards. Suggested point limit is between 500-600 points.

Variations:
  • Can “unchain” 1 pairing of a Unique army card that is not A Tier or higher
  • Can choose to draft the bad Dead Weight unit without drafting the good one (for example, can draft 3x Obsidian Guards without drafting Deathreavers x3)
  • VC inclusive

Tournaments used:
Lincoln Seasonal IV

CURRENT DEAD WEIGHTS (for Lincoln Seasonal IV):
(Weights are loosely organized by strength of first unit).
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by ryguy266; January 16th, 2024 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Not a new format anymore!
Old September 25th, 2023, 01:00 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: New Format: Dead Weight

FIRST DRAFT PAIRINGS:
Spoiler Alert!

SECOND DRAFT PAIRINGS (WITH PAIR POINTS):
Spoiler Alert!

THIRD DRAFT DEAD WEIGHTS (LINCOLN SEASONAL WEIGHTS)
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by ryguy266; December 4th, 2023 at 04:58 PM.
Old September 25th, 2023, 01:11 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Hmm

First thought is that Rats + Obsidians + Krav + 9K feels like it might be the strongest thing I can build off the top of my head. Need more time to brain percolate.

EDIT: Looking at it, PKs + Wolves of Badru + WWL could also be good.

~Dysole, informationally
Old September 27th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Imo you should set pods by total price.

Some ideas I like:
2x Axe 2x Shades Darrak Kumiko 480
Marros Warriors X17 Pelloth 2xDeepwyrm Drows 2x Mezzodemons 520
2x GSW 2X Quasacht Moltenclaw Chardris 580
Nabgrubs x2 Protectorsx2 TKN James Murphy 575

Brunak Raelin Sotm Tandross Warden Zetacon Zettian Guards 570 the trahspodge haha.
BtW Zettians are in 2 different draft pod.

Honestly it's quite hard to have a good under 500 point army.

Old September 27th, 2023, 06:22 PM

lucasd21 is surprisingly tart

First off, I think this is a really cool idea.

The trickiest part is going to be making pairings that fit a certain point limit for a game. At some point limits, the only pairings that will be feasible are ones with lower value figures, especially if you want multiples. The option to unpair obviously helps that issue, but the point variation between pairings might make some pairings unfeasible.

One suggestion would be to have each pairing equal a certain point value, even if you have to use multiples of a common unit, or multiple uniques in a single pairing.
For example:
Arrow gruts x3 + Roman archers x2 = 240
TKN + Kyntela Gwyn = 240
Siege + Darrak + Deadeye = 240.
Armies could then be 480 pts and you only pick 2 pairings from the set list rather than figuring what to take multiples of.
Even if in a given pairing list there's one or two units that can't fit in well with the pairing point value, they can be included in the next pairing list.
Old September 27th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Imo you should set pods by total price.
That's a great idea. I just updated the pairs, hopefully that helps in army building.

Quote:
Honestly it's quite hard to have a good under 500 point army.
It is definitely tough to keep down on points when most of the pairings are at least 100 points, probably averaging close to 150 or 200. I think 600 might be the optimal number, but I think games would probably still go quickly because of how few figures you could draft. But that's definitely the idea! It's not about playing the "best" army, but the "least worst" army you can make with all your dead weight.

I like all your army ideas, they are interesting. I did also update a few pairings because I found some duplicate figures when I was going through to update points and also some figures that got unused.
Old December 4th, 2023, 04:59 PM

New weights for Lincoln Seasonal IV are up if players want to reference this thread.
Old January 16th, 2024, 06:05 PM

Re: The Dead Weight Format

Lincoln Seasonal IV debuted the Dead Weight format this weekend in a successful showing of the fun to be found in this format. I put together 14 armies in advance that I thought would be fairly competitive. As usual, I played an army that I thought was weaker, and went 3-1 largely due to playing newer players. All the armies I put together are listed below. I believe almost none of them share figures, which lends credibility to the idea that this is a very viable format.

Spoiler Alert!

I also received good feedback from the players who brought their own armies. All of them thought that the army building was very tough, but enjoyable. And all of them played units that they'd never played in a tournament before (one player even told me he was fielding a unit that he'd never played with at all despite owning it for years).

A very skilled competitive player, who couldn't make it due to the extreme weather, sent me their armies they wouldn't be able to play in their absence: Arrow Gruts x2, Death Knights x2, Mimring, Taelord and Capuan Gladiators x3, Venoc Vipers x3, Spartacus, Guilty McCreech (drop three). I think both of these would have done well at the tournament but had their counters as well. Three of the top four players all beat each other (Cooperdiem beat Kyle who beat ryguy266 who beat Cooperdiem), which I think speaks to a healthy meta. Of all eight players, only two pairings were duplicated, the Einar/10th pair and the Minions/Ashra pair.

I'm looking forward to seeing this format grow. There is a lot of potential with the variations, and the number of variations these pairings, with different point/figure limits, is virtually infinite. TDs are free to use these as a starting point for their own weights, or are welcome to reach out to me to adjust for new events. Lincoln Seasonals are headed toward three events per year, and this will likely make a frequent return since it was such a big hit, and there are so many possibilities out there.
Old January 16th, 2024, 06:19 PM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Really great to hear! It sounds like a lot of fun.
Old January 18th, 2024, 05:49 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Cool! Honestly very interesting "my time to shine" format. I was afriad it would be fight between the good units and the chumps just watching before getting killed lol, but it looks like most people brought armies to try to get value out of the chumps.

Old January 18th, 2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Cool! Honestly very interesting "my time to shine" format. I was afriad it would be fight between the good units and the chumps just watching before getting killed lol, but it looks like most people brought armies to try to get value out of the chumps.
Totally reasonable worry. But I was quite pleased with everyone's utility of their off-beat units. Shades were great glyph grabbers, Ashra made a great screen for the Hydra and 10th, and my Water Elemental won me a game. It was a lot of fun, and I think people really enjoyed playing with the "chumps" that they normally don't get to because, well, they're chumps.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles