Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old December 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: Filthy the Clown's Customs - Vakrian Slingers

I would say "All Vakrian Slingers participating in the Rain of Stone Special Attack must have clear line of sight to on the one target."

Beyond that, they are to the Goblin Cutter what the Roman Archers are to the Roman Legionairres. A great idea, forsooth! And I don't mind that they have Scale as a power instead of Climb x2. It makes them even more like the Goblins.

The only thing I would perhaps like to see, if in fact you wanted to get away from D&D per se, is to use some ranged Goblin units, if any are appropriate. If you are going for D&D-scape, then they are perfect. I am not sold on 60 points either, but that's where playtesting comes in.

Old December 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
I would say "All Vakrian Slingers participating in the Rain of Stone Special Attack must have clear line of sight to on the one target."
Spoken like a true Master of Verbiage; thanks, updated.

Quote:
Beyond that, they are to the Goblin Cutter what the Roman Archers are to the Roman Legionnaires. A great idea, forsooth! And I don't mind that they have Scale as a power instead of Climb x2. It makes them even more like the Goblins.
They are rather goblinesque...Ugly lil guys, reminiscent of those twisted little jawa-freaks in Phantasm. I prefer the Scale verbiage as well, so I am updating accordingly (thanks for pointing this out).

Quote:
The only thing I would perhaps like to see, if in fact you wanted to get away from D&D per se, is to use some ranged Goblin units, if any are appropriate. If you are going for D&D-scape, then they are perfect. I am not sold on 60 points either, but that's where playtesting comes in.
I must admit that my learning is more inclined to non-D&D...But as kobolds they just seem to fit (although the sculpts could pass as lizardmen of some sort).

And now, to playtesting.

Playtesting - Game 1
Spoiler Alert!

Playtesting - Game 2
Spoiler Alert!
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I'm glad you seem to be getting a feel for a single number for their cost.

Old December 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

After a bit more play testing, I have finalized the stats and price for the Vakrian Slingers. The finished card:

I almost gave in to temptation and added Darklord bonding, but this would require a change in the points. As it stands, I like how the Slingers work out, especially with Khosumet in tow of a bonding squad (either Badru or Death Knights: both fit the theme and allow for adequate support for the defensively weak Slingers).
Old December 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Filthy the Clown's Customs - Vakrian Slingers Update 201

If the three Slingers are combining their attacks into one attack, it would be a special attack of 6, not 5. This is consistent with the Roman's, too.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgames View Post
If the three Slingers are combining their attacks into one attack, it would be a special attack of 6, not 5. This is consistent with the Roman's, too.

~Z
I actually wanted it at 5, not 6 (it is not a direct combination of 3 attacks of 2, but rather a powered attack directed at a target of strength). The extra mobility and defense, and conditional factors for the special, offset the Special Attack's strength difference between Slingers and Roman Archers.
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice touch extending the sling beyond the window box. I like the squad too. Just wondering should it be ValKrian/Valkrillian Slingers or are you creating a new person/place named Vakran or something? Either way would be cool but the it would be nice if the second one was expanded upon.
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Checking in to let you know how much fun I had playtesting Priscus. You can find my SoV vote here.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
Nice touch extending the sling beyond the window box. I like the squad too. Just wondering should it be ValKrian/Valkrillian Slingers or are you creating a new person/place named Vakran or something? Either way would be cool but the it would be nice if the second one was expanded upon.
I mused over the name in an earlier post:
Quote:
The name might also need to be changed to something more generic (Kobold Slingers), as Vakrian is naturally very similar to Valkrill (in that case, they could also be Valkrian Slingers).
I decided to keep the Vakrian, as the Slingers hale from a land known as Vakria, an evil land shrouded in the dark mists of chaos (I made it up; unique, huh? ). I like the similarities to Valkrill, but if this causes confusion, I am comfortable changing the name to a more noted reference: Valkrian (or Valkrillian?) Slingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Checking in to let you know how much fun I had playtesting Priscus. You can find my SoV vote here.
Thanks! I am glad that you enjoyed playing him. His aura and Special Attack (and the absence of Spartacus' Movement and Defensive boosts) add a new take on the Gladiators, IMHO.
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Cross-posted from the SoV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post

Honestly, when I first looked over Priscus' card, I was a little underwhelmed by what I (at the time) felt like was his Inspiration-Lite focus. However, he looked balanced, and brought the Gladiators a much-needed Special Attack, plus Filthy put together a fantastic nomination, so I decided to vote Yes to review him.

I'm certainly glad that I did-he has proven to be an excellent addition to the Gladiator line-up.

Two of the Steamrollers significant weaknesses have been numbers and lack of a Special Ability. Priscus helps address both those.

With a cost 90 points less than Spartacus, a fourth squad of Capuans is now in reach for many more point totals. Altenatively, those points can be spent on another Gladiator Hero, or a ranged unit to entice your opponent to move within striking range of the Caps.

Shield Pin is a thematic Special Attack with a very valuable, but not over-powered bonus.

Taste of Freedom is Priscus' key selling point. Attack bonuses have always been highly regarded and highly priced in Heroscape. This one is one of the least expensive, but has the potential to affect many figures. It is severely limited, however, by only affecting Gladiators, and only functioning when all Order Markers are placed on Gladiatiors, including requiring one on Priscus.

Interestingly, the tactical overlap of Priscus and Spartacus (what I liked least on first consideration of Priscus) resulted my favorite army: Spartacus, Priscus, Capuans x3. This army requires careful Order Marker juggling, since both heroes require them to function fully. This added a level of strategy to the Steamroller that is previously lacked, and 5+ attack Gladiators are a sight to behold, especially when they are facing a hero-heavy army.

IN my opinion, Priscus' main weakness is that Taste of Freedom's limitations result in some default army builds, much as Spartacus' Gladiator Inspiration does, but fortunately Priscus' price allows room for more variety than Spartacus, is one wishes to build it in.

In the end, Priscus adds flexibility, complexity and a much needed Special Attack to an army that benefits from all those things. I vote YES to induct Priscus into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old January 28th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Cross-posted from the SoV

Many thanks for the feedback and for the vote, as well as for taking the time to playtest! For reference purposes, I added all existing feedback to the SoV nomination post and to the initial post on my Customs thread.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM

My latest creation: Baruk Kurab, Hobgoblin Hero for Valkrill

Baruk is stout in his own right, with a cost and stats similar to other 100 point Heroes: Gurei-Oni, Mind Flayer Mastermind, and Sir Denrick, among others. His Special Attack is a great way to thin out massed commons, but it comes with a caveat: it can also harm adjacent friendlies.

The real fun with Baruk, at least in theory, is when pairing Baruk with Wild, Guard Common Heroes: Drow Chainfighters. When bonding with Baruk, the Chainfighters can use their mobility to attack ranged threats to Baruk. Plus, their chain grab can be used to pull units into adjacency with the Hobgoblin, allowing Baruk to stack up enemies and hit them all en masse. This can lead to some interesting hit N run tactics, among other things.

The sculpt is the D&D Savage Encounters Hobgoblin Hand of Bane, available at Auggies.

I plan on some more testing in order to finalize his cost and abilities, and I look forward to any feedback.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards