Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old August 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: My Favorite Games Are The Close Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dendrik View Post
My rule of thumb:

If only one figure is left on the board at the end, it was a great game.
What if that figure is Jotun or The Hulk?
Dude he answered your question before you asked it. Weird.
Nah, I doubt that is his answer to those two. If you win with the hulk left you won by 370 points. OUCH.

Well, if the Hulk destroyed everything in his path, I would consider that a great game. You wouldn't have won by 370 points if the Hulk took any wounds.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old August 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Between two players of equal ability it comes down to luck--to a degree. I find lately that luck swings with a particular opponent so that either he or I win almost all the games in one evening. What's that about?

But the fun thing is that constantly changing variety in Heroscape makes it fun to try to 'Catch the Wave' of any particular game! And its always a different wave...
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:35 AM

reubenagain is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

But why do order markers 'balance' the game? Is it not possible to just play without them, playing clockwise (with one initial role for initiative at the beginning of the whole game), each player just moving one army card of units/unit? There are no turns as such, just a continuous fluid circular play. I hate the pauses and breaks in the game caused by the markers.

Surely playing with the markers isn't the only way to prevent the leader from pulling far ahead as instead you can have each player only use one of their army cards when it is their turn? It's not as if each player would move their entire army on their turn!

I understand that many characters have rules that require turns or the markers to be in play but my collection isn't that extensive and I'm sure it's possible to house-rule the few exceptions anyway: Shiori gets her attack and defense bonus if used to attack but cannot be used on that player's next 'turn', etc

The order markers don't prevent a player from repeatedly using the same unit as they can all be placed on a single army card anyway and it's really frustrating for a player to miss a turn because they placed an order marker on units that are now dead. Yes, it's great when it happens to an opponent but I'd prefer it not happen at all so it doesn't happen to me either and once again break up the flow of play. It seems daft that someone misses a go when they still have plenty of other units to use?

Ok, that's my rant.
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:44 AM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenagain View Post
But why do order markers 'balance' the game? Is it not possible to just play without them, playing clockwise (with one initial role for initiative at the beginning of the whole game), each player just moving one army card of units/unit? There are no turns as such, just a continuous fluid circular play. I hate the pauses and breaks in the game caused by the markers.

Surely playing with the markers isn't the only way to prevent the leader from pulling far ahead as instead you can have each player only use one of their army cards when it is their turn? It's not as if each player would move their entire army on their turn!

I understand that many characters have rules that require turns or the markers to be in play but my collection isn't that extensive and I'm sure it's possible to house-rule the few exceptions anyway: Shiori gets her attack and defense bonus if used to attack but cannot be used on that player's next 'turn', etc

The order markers don't prevent a player from repeatedly using the same unit as they can all be placed on a single army card anyway and it's really frustrating for a player to miss a turn because they placed an order marker on units that are now dead. Yes, it's great when it happens to an opponent but I'd prefer it not happen at all so it doesn't happen to me either and once again break up the flow of play. It seems daft that someone misses a go when they still have plenty of other units to use?

Ok, that's my rant.
Hello and welcome to the site! You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but I believe that order markers actually add an extra layer of depth to the game. I find taking a few extra moments at the start of each round to plan out your moves to be tense and strategic. As for slowing the game down, yes you must re-set the order markers every few turns or so. However, when using your suggested method one must decide which unit they want to use every time they take a turn.

The OP was comparing Heroscape to traditional miniatures games. The order markers help balance Heroscape because in other games the entire army does get to move and attack in one turn.

Last edited by The CEE; May 7th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenagain View Post

Ok, that's my rant.
Fist off, Welcome to the Site!

I understand where you're coming from, because I played without Order Markers for a couple years. In those years, the Airborne Elite Rocked. Hard.
(The Way we had House ruled them was that you roll for the drop right before you pick who to go with.) After a while though, I found this site, and After I had lurked for a while, I realized there might be something to them. So we decided to ease back into them, (the way we played first was, at the Start if the Game, you choose a General. When you reveal an Order Marker, you can either take a turn with that person, or your General. This usual kept us from Losing Order Markers) For the last two years or so, we have used Order Markers, and I can't even Imagine how Dumbed down the game gets without them(No Offense) You just lose so much strategy and playing, It's almost like you're playing the Basic Game. If you want to read More about Why people like or Don't like them, Try looking through some of these threads.

What's in an Order Marker?
Dude, where's your X? (Order Markers part II)
What's in a Marvel Order Marker
Order Markers
We Love Order Markers
Order Markers?
Does anyone else not use order markers?
Do you use order markers?
Someone care to explain what the point of order markers are?
Throw your order markers away!
Do You Use Order Markers?

One thing though, when looking through those threads, Check the Date of the last Post Before Posting Please. If you have something relevant to add, there's no problem with "Necroing" a thread. But Please don't "Necro" a thread just to say "I agree" Thanks! I hope this Helps,

~B96

Tournament Record:128-54 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion