Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old April 8th, 2015, 12:57 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

If you do the math out, you find that blowing up a Hop to just wound a hero is not all that profitable unless you are rolling it up to a pretty high-priced/low-life hero. It's worth it against Hydras, or most Soulborg heroes, or just about anything worth 140+ points, but not much else. Hoplitrons are just too valuable alive. (Of course, the math tilts if you can get the Hop into a crowd and blow up a bunch of stuff. But usually all but one of those things will be a squad figure, so the 20+ becomes irrelevant.)

On the flip side, Deathreavers are fairly pretty expendable, but only have a 5% chance of doing big damage, and whiff more often than not. Even there it's usually only worth it if you can engage two things at once before blowing up.
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:14 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

to review Kon-Tar-Na, assuming it works how Soundwarp said a couple posts up.
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:20 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
My Experiences

My experience has been that as Hops are fairly durable the ability to blow them up is one that you really want to save for an ideal moment. Add in that Executioner quickly becomes a target and it's fairly difficult to screen him with Hops and it all feels like it balances out.

~Dysole, who when he ran the math noticed that most of the heroes affected were super competitive figures and/or ones who were likely going to be able to keep the Hops from doing their thing (Hive, Syvarris, Omegacron)
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
to review Kon-Tar-Na, assuming it works how Soundwarp said a couple posts up.
@dok , can you confirm the intention?
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:29 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
If he moved more than 4 spaces, can he use Leaping Assault after destroying an opponent's figure?
That's a good question.

I'm pretty sure that works the same way it does for Spider-man, the 'may use' bit overrides Leaping Assault's normal restrictions, including the move limit.
That's correct. The restriction only applies to the use "after moving and before attacking".
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:42 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Kon-Tar-Na has received 4 Yea votes to review (vegietarian18, Scytale, Soundwarp SG-1, and superfrog) and moves forward in the process.
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:11 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

to review Executioner 616. Looks cool.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 8th, 2015, 02:29 PM

Executioner 616 has received 4 Yea votes to review (Scytale, superfrog, Soundwarp SG-1, and capsocrates) and moves forward in the process.
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Love'em both. Can't wait to see the results.

As a side note, Between the approved Brimstone and Asterios, and the pending Jaraptara, Ashi-Dhulu, Uzog, Kon-Tar-Na, and Executioner 616 SoV is really closing in on a "Large expansion".

I'd say that is pretty cool. Actually at this point you have a pretty decent master set. Lots of external synergy but still pretty decent.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:43 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Viceron the Dark Knight by Ixe

Evil Knights are cool. Ever since Hawethorne, I think the game has been implicitly asking for more of them. While we now have Phantom Knights and Death Knights and Knights of Blackgaard, we haven’t gotten another evil Knight Hero. So how well does Viceron (a Dark Knight) fill that void?

Balance
For anybody who is confused as to the main difference between balance and playability, playability makes sure that a unit is engaging to play and powerful enough for its point cost. Balance ensures that a unit doesn’t do the same job as another unit for a cheaper cost, or is strictly better than another unit for the same or similar cost. New units shouldn’t stop old ones from being used.

So Viceron is hard to evaluate on Balance. He does something that really nobody else does. He has a decent attack and defense, an area of effect special attack, a power that wounds him, and a power that heals him. That’s a unique combination.

For a very rough approximation, we can compare him to Eltahale. Viceron has an extra defense, can target more people with his special attack, and has the possibility to heal himself, but gives up 2 life and 10 points. Seems about even.

Theme
A magic bloody Dark Knight seems pretty cool to me, at least after you get over the fact that he’s not Batman. I love the name Bloodstorm Ritual, and it perfectly translates to the mechanics of the power. Sanguine Sword also works for me, although I’m not sure exactly on the theme as to why he can’t heal from Special Attacks. It doesn’t bother me too much, though.

Creativity
Bloodstorm Ritual is a fun new power, which borrows ideas from Heat Blast Special Attack and also from figures like Eltahale or the Azurite Warlord which wound themselves for benefit. I also think the interplay between Sanguine Sword and Bloodstorm Ritual is smart. It provides a way for him to heal, but it forces him to switch between attacking normally or with his special.

Playability
Viceron starts out with the weakness of being a non-synergizing Unique Hero. To make up for that, he has a high attack (to help kill heroes or to “ensure” a kill on squad figures if he needs to heal), and a multi-attacking special attack (to deal with massed squaddies). It theoretically should work relatively well. He uses Bloodstorm Ritual when there are a few squad figures around, and then follows up with a normal attack to get his life point back. 5 defense ought to be enough to fend off most attacks to allow for at least a few Bloodstorms a game.

But I found it rarely worked that way. 4 life is fairly low for such an expensive figure, and much lower than any other figure with a self wounding ability (6 on Eltahale, 8 on Azurite Warlord). Although Viceron also has a higher defense of 5 (compared to 4 on Eltahale and 3 on the Azurite Warlord), it still leaves him more vulnerable. He needs Bloodstorms to keep the number of opponent’s attack down, because 3 attacks of 3 still reliably wounds him at least once, and he needs normal attacks to gain his life back. If either one fails, he’s quickly overcome.

The problem with Viceron is that his two powers aren’t enough to keep him competitive. Swarms squads like Vipers or Red Ants don’t mind losing 2 or 3 figures, because they can just keep coming, especially if he takes a break to try to heal himself. More expensive melee squads like Heavy Gruts or Axegrinders also have more attack output, and are more likely to survive his Bloodstorm blasts. Ranged Squads just need to spread out and avoid clumping, and that negates the threat of Bloodstorm Rituals. Unlike Brimstone, Viceron has no backup bonding squad, and much less maneuverability. The inability to fly behind enemy lines is a big negative.

Summary
Long story short, Viceron just isn’t as effective as he needs to be. He needs to roll well on every turn to prevent enemy squads from running over him. His opponents only need a few good rolls to take him down, and he needs good rolls every time to keep his head above water. I never had Viceron earn his points back in a game. I really wanted to like Viceron, but in the end, he just wasn’t powerful enough to justify 150 points.

I vote to induct Viceron the Dark Knight into the Soldiers of Valhalla
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:20 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Great review, @superfrog . I am sorry to hear that you felt that way and I can't necessarily disagree with you. On his own he is a challenge to earn back his points and will tend to net you lower. I had placed him at this value (and had conducted much of my testing around it) as a means of future-proofing Viceron to be part of a bonding squad. I know some stand strongly against it, but I still believe Knights to be a prime class for bonding.

With bonding he stands excellently at that total but that was not the unit that was presented to the judges so I perfectly understand any reservations with him at this cost. His life is awfully low for his class of unit, but that is an intentional decision to keep tension between his two powers rather than leaving his special attack as something to spam. As a further note, Sanguine Sword refers to his special magical sword that drains the life out of the enemy and imparts it to Viceron when he uses it. Bloodstorm Ritual is when he performs blood magic (using his own blood) to create a magical explosion around him. The sword is not used so he does not heal (also it would remove almost all tension of using the power).
Old April 17th, 2015, 12:03 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

In my hunt for Miniatures and Availability over the last several months, I have bookmarked the following sites that I know to carry Pathfinder or D&D Miniatures.

I thought this might be helpful for anyone searching for more availability for their potential SOV submissions.

Pathfinder & DND Miniatures

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.

Last edited by Kinseth; March 28th, 2018 at 09:16 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs