View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!
Re: caps' maps - updated 6/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
For the latter half of what you were saying, is this more to your taste?
I think both versions are easily improvements on the first draft; I can see scenarios where the roads would at least be used. (Note: For both, I'd drop the guard rails though. With the current placement, what effect to game-play does their inclusion introduce?) And of the two versions, I think the second is better in that the road gives better access to one of the desirable hills for ranged units.

In my view, and as a simple rule, the more I can make road adjacent to the desirable high ground, the more likely my map will be balanced for range vs. melee. But, like all simple rules, there are exceptions and caveats (for example optimizing LOS blockers is something that needs to also be factored).

Lastly, I updated my last post with a theory thread from Velenne that I think you might find interesting. And if so, you should look for MadWookie's map-making blog posts, read Dignan's comments about his own maps, and just read through the BOV reviews for more tips and nuance about material optimization and map-balance. Those guys are the masters afterall.

Cheers,

~tgx