View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Minions of Utgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromazeka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
My instinct is that it's worth springing for a third squad of Minions
That is probably better most of the time. I did a little bit of playtesting, and found that the KMA could easily get height and pick of Atlaga in the first round. ( Or at least damage him) The minions have no choice but to kill them, leaving them vunerable to ranged attacks from the enemy's start zone. I was playing on a very small map, but without someother solid type unit, Atlaga becomes a huge target. If he goes down you have nine four-move minions without much ranged support.(Exept Repulsors, which are really ment to deal with a screen)

Despite what I said above, I agree with you about bringing three sqauds of minions, just pointing out that if Atlaga dies their could be problems.
Point taken. With some of the GenCon maps like "just passing through", there really is no place to stash a cheerleader/cleanup figure out of first-strike range. On just about every other map, though, I can put him 14+ hexes back from the opposing start zone, where almost all opposing figures have to spend two turns moving to get in threat range.

In a lot of cases, though, I'm going to pull Atlaga out early anyway. Bolt of Witherwood is a lot more valuable at the beginning of a battle than at the end. I can see myself putting round 2 OM 1 on Atlaga, and taking a shot at whatever the lynchpin opposing hero is. Sure, this exposes Atlaga a bit, but if my opponent is concentrating on Atlaga, then I can probably bring 6+ minions into the middle of the map (beyond any rat screen) before he goes down, and they can work from there even if they lose the move bonus. Much like Raelin, Atlaga can earn his value simply by getting targeted and brought down.