View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:36 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: capsocrates' maps - Mulberry Bush and Posies added - 5/2

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! Its in the .pdf, but I didn't put it in the OP until just now: there's a special rule for Pocket Full of Posies that no figure can pass through or over the columns by any means. Should I have any exceptions to that? Or just specify that it only affects fliers and stealth fliers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
I especially like Pocket Full of Posies. In fact, I was looking for a map to build to run some playtesting on soon (next week or so), and I might try out Posies.
Sweet! The contest due date is the 14th, so I'm going to have to finalize the maps by then, but I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Quote:
I also really like Helplessness Blues, it should make for some really fun quick games. I do worry, though, about both of the side-jut-outs not seeing much use (especially the tips). Sure, range will generally go for height, but with the small size of the map and the road, I think melee will be on them too quickly for them to get to the height.
I'm not sure what to do about that. I guess I could rotate those level 3 24-hexes counter-clockwise and move them over one so that they abut the road. That might be how I originally had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Helpless Blues: I feel like the far sides of the map will see little if any action. Also I would like some elevation in the middle between the roads. I do like the use of the water to channel the figures to the sides.
I don't think I see any way to put height in the middle without creating a Raelin perch. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Pocket Full Of Posies: Maps with close starting zones can be very tricky, and without some playtest it's hard to discern it's problems. Flying melee units can get the jump on figures, but range figures for the most part will have to leave themselves vulnerable to a counter attack, if they go for quick attacks right off the bat. The middle looks well thought out and balanced. It looks like a fast, fun and unique map.
How does the special rule I mentioned above affect your thoughts on flying melee figures for this map? That is one of the concerns I had when I built it--I feel like treating the columns as infinitely high mostly takes care of that.

Quote:
I love when people try working with the idea you implemented into Mulberry Bush, though I do worry with that one on both its size and some of the outer pieces not seeing play. I'm not sure how easy it would be, but if possible it might be nice to add some more height around the outside of the map.
Quote:
Mulberry Bush: I like the concept of this map, but in my opinion it has some problems. As you already said the footprint looks really big, maybe to big, I'm not sure how much space there is per table. A good part of the map looks like it wont see much action, especially the spaces right in back of the starting zones and the edges of the map.
I bet it would be better if I built the SZs out of 7-hexxers and swamp water. That would free up the two swamp 24-hexxers for use on the ends where the action is... :hrm:

Quote:
If I had to choose two to submit to R˙chean map contest I would choose Pocket Full of Posies and Reset.
Thanks for the input! I'm leaning that way also.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV