View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: capsocrates' maps - Reset and Helplessness Blues -5/1/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Reset looks like a lot of fun to play on, but it's pretty big for a tournament map. The build instructions list it at 35"x38" (and it doesn't look like that will change much by turning it) it won't fit on a lot of tables, and on tables it does fit on it won't leave a lot of room for cards, dice, rollers, or another map. You could probably squeeze the footprint down without changes the general feel of the map too much by tightening up all the level 1 24-hex plates in against each other, and chopping off the 5 hex "tail" from the start zones (that will also help bring the SZs a bit closer together, resulting in faster action).
Those are good suggestions. I might toss Reset for contest purposes altogether and go for a more groundbreaking idea--he asked for creativity, and I'm not sure my style is distinctive enough to be considered outside-the-box--but I will probably implement your suggestions nonetheless.

Quote:
I love the footprint of Helplessness Blues. I doubt that the corners beyond the glyphs will see much action, but I think that it's visually striking enough that it might be worth leaving the dead space.
I suspected as much.

Quote:
Any reason you went with fixed glyphs instead of random?
I'm not entirely sure. I like those glyphs, I feel they're less overpowered than some of the others that are often used (+1 atk or defense, for instance). I feel like I've also seen it done a number of times before, but I suppose when I think about most of the maps I've downloaded from here they've had random glyphs.

Quote:
There is also a tempting Raelin perch out from the left of each SZ-the level 5 1-hexxer 6 spaces out that covers the hill and glyph might tend to draw ranged pods to camp there.
Yes, I see that. For some reason I was operating under the impression that in a tournament setting its best to have the highest points only accessible to one-space figures... I think I got that idea from maps like these, which we've been using in our online league. I asked about Raelin Perch's last night in the Question Dump and after getting some answers I decided those level 5 1-hexxers needed to go.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV