View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2024, 03:21 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Dignan's Maps - New Map 6/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Update 6/7

Added a new single tundra and RotV map to the list. This one is slightly asymmetrical, but it's not noticeable during game play. I've been trying to get more out of each expansion lately and also use heavy snow more often. This one surprised a few of the playtesters in my group, as they didn't expect much when they sat down to this one. It's rather unassuming, but we've found the gameplay to be pretty compelling.

Map: Fissure
Date Uploaded: 6/07/09
Requires: 1 RotV, 1 TT - Heavy Snow, Normal Ice

Digging a bit into the wayback machine of your maps for this review...

We had a NorCal gameday last weekend. Killo Jr. picked Fissure to be one of the maps, since TT is the only expansion I (and therefore he) don't have. I defaulted onto it for my first match, and wasn't initially very enthused about that. It looked pretty small, the watery canyon looked like it would split play, and I like to move fast, so heavy snow is usually not my favorite.

Instead it was a fantastic, engaging map with lots of options. The heavy snow dominating height made it play bigger than it is, there are a myriad of pathing options to cut off or bypass opponents depending on goal, the interspersed ice tiles keep the low water from being too daunting to cross, well placed LoS blockers allow slow melee hiding places to leapfrog to engage range, and the fixed Valda is very attractive to help balance the snow penalty but not so important that it can't be situationally abandoned. My second match also ended up being on Fissure, and I had no complaint at all about playing it back-to-back. This is one of my favorite maps I've ever played on.

The only weakness I saw was that the 3 hex glacier doesn't seem 100% efficiently used on the edge of the map. I wonder if a low path around the outside would be possible and beneficial?

Killo Jr. is reading my review over my shoulder, and asked me to include "[I] had a ton of fun on it also."

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Last edited by Killometer; January 20th, 2024 at 03:34 PM. Reason: 7 successful Frenzy rolls in 2 OMs to wrap up match 1 might also have colored my experience, lol