View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2015, 01:27 PM

General J is surprisingly tart
Re: The Tabletop Simulator Mod needs YOUR help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
The tutorial is on the private forum we use to coordinate the work, so wouldn't be able to see it for now. Here is a copy of it :

Quote:
I made a quick tuto, I don't have time to make it better for now, tell me if it is enough for you :

Step 1 : import the model
Open a new project
delete the base cube
import the source model. (model 1)
make sure the model 1 is only one object. If it is made of many object, select them all (click the first, then shift click the next) and "join" them into a single object

Step 2 : Make the model to scale, with a clean base
import the corresponding base model (model 2)
move/rotate/scale the model 1 so that its base takes the exact same place as the model 2.
Make the perspective orthodox (numpad 5) and the look at the front of the figure or the side (numpad 1 or 3)
Select the model 1 only.
go to Edit Mode
use the bissect tool to trace a line between the model 1 and its own base, then choose either "clear inner" or "clean outer" to cut off the base of model 1. We now have model 1 without a base, and model 2, which is a clean base.
go to Object Mode
select model 2 (right click) then select also model 1 (shift right click) and join the two of them. We now have a single model, with a clean base, and to scale. We should probably save the progress so far (in .blend format).

Step 3 : Decimate the model
Models from 123Catch has too many triangles and would be too heavy to use directly in HexScape (or you'll need a very powerfull computer), so we need to reduce the number of triangle. That's what decimate is all about.
Select the model.
Click on the "Modifiers" menu, then "Add Modifier" and choose decimate.
You'll see the face count at the bottom, and a ratio (1.0 for now). The goal will be to change the ratio to reduce the face count while keeping the model good looking.
When you found the best ratio, click on apply

Step 4 : Bake the new texture.
The current model has at least two texture (the source texture, and the texture of the clean base). The source texture is too big usually from 123 catch, and also we just changed the mesh with decimate, so we will create a new texture.
Open a second view
In one of the view, in the dropdown at the left of the menus "View, Select, Add, Object", select U/V Image editor
Click the "+ new" button, name it by the figure name, make it 1024 by 1024 (perhaps 512 by 512 for small models) and click OK
Go on the Object data menu. In the UV Maps sub menu, click on the "+" the create a new UV Map. Make sure the newly created UV map is the one selected, and the old one has the little camera on (the camera should be grayed on the new UV Map)
On the view showing the model, select Edit Mode
On the view showing texture, make sure the newly created texture is selected. Switching to Edit Mode on the other view probably changed that, so select the new texture again
On the view showing the model, select the whole object (key "A") go to the "Shading/UV" menu on the left. In UV Mappings, select Unwrap => Smart UV Project. I will calculate a new UV maping and show it on the texture.
Go to the "Render" menu, at the bottom is the "Bake" submenu. Select bake mode "Textures", then Click on "Bake". (it will render the UV Map that has the little camera on (the old UV map) and bake it on the selected UV Map, the one we created). The new texture should now contains the colors of the model.
Save the new texture (Image => Save as Image) !!

Step 5 : finishing touch
We will now delete the old textures and UV Map, apply the new texture, make sure all is ok and export the model to .obj.
Go to the "Object data" menu, where we created a new UV Map. Select the old UV Map and delete it
Go to the "Material" menu, and delete all the materials. (you need to go to Object Mode before), Then create a new material.
Go to the "Texture" menu, create a new texture. Change its type to Image or Movie. In the Image submenu, in the drop down, select the image we just baked. Go to the Mapping submenu and select "UV" for Coordinates, then select the UV Map we created in the Map input.
In the "File" menu, click on "export" => ".obj". Before exporting, in the "Export OBJ" submenu, make sure that "Write Normals", "Include UVs", "Write Material" are checked. Leave the others as they are, name the .obj and click on Export OBJ

You're done !

It can be done in 5 minutes with some training.
Thanks!

I have an issue though. One I'm sure that either you, or someone you've worked with has come across in the past:

I got everything done right until the texture bake. It's just not appropriating the textures correctly or something because it ends up looking like this: