View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:32 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
I have been known to time out at a fairly frequent pace and I have played players that also time out frequently. In all 21 games I played this weekend, none of the players I played were purposely stalling. I think it is wrong to say that a slower, methodical player is purposely stalling to protect their point advantage. I ask that we look at the same situation with the same players when they are behind or even on points. I think we will find that their style of play was consistent regardless of whether they were winning or losing. Knowing most of the players very well and participating in most of the events, I have to say that the assumption and assertion that a player was exploiting a loophole in the tourney by knowingly stalling when the have the point advantage is a bit of a reach. This is not what I have seen. Those players played at the same pace regardless of whether they were winning or losing; that is proof positive that they were not imploring stalling tactics. Now if a player plays fast when behind and slow when ahead, then I think we have a case. I did not see that at any point and I doubt any player who complained could honestly say that any player in question sped up or slowed down.

There is an element that needs to be considered here and that is the emotional state of a player who has lost because they couldn't make up the points. One's perception of the situation is clouded by the frustration or emotion of losing. I have been on both sides of this issue and I can say with the utmost confidence I have never encountered a player that was speeding up or slowing down based on their spot in the game.

We are scapers; we are better than that.

A must read for all 'Scapers!