Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   C3G Legacy Library (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   The Book of Cosmic Boy (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=39416)

Griffin January 25th, 2012 07:38 AM

Re: The Book of Cosmic Boy - Design Phase

What about a different type of "magnetic" power? Perhaps a bit of a hybrid?

MAGNETIC MANIPULATION
Before Cosmic Boy or any other figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Cosmic Boy moves, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 15 or higher, you may place the figure on any empty space within 4 spaces of its current location. After the figure is placed, you may roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll 15 or higher, the thrown figure receives 1 wound. Thrown figures do not take any leaving engagement attacks.

Hahma January 25th, 2012 08:03 AM

So you'd have him throw large and huge figures Griff? Even vehicles? I don't know the character, so I didn't know his power level. Though 15 or higher is a rare enough chance.

Griffin January 25th, 2012 08:27 AM

I wasn't really thinking about that level fine tuned perfection for the suggestion, just trying to gauge how people feel about the concept in general.

Although, it should be stated that this guy at his best could easily rival Magneto at his best, there just happens to be much more reading material on Magneto, so that along with the X-men movies makes this guy look obscure (which he kinda is, even to DC fans who don't read Legionnaire).

IAmBatman January 25th, 2012 10:06 AM

So he'd basically be able to move himself or any figure within 4 clear sights of himself up to 4 spaces on a roll of 15+ with the trigger being his moving or the other figure moving?

As long as we don't think the movement interruption is an issue (Jean Gray does it, so shouldn't be) that seems like a fun direction. With Jean and this triggering at the same time, would it just be a matter of your choosing between them if they're both yours, or rolling a D20 if they're two different players' powers?

A3n January 25th, 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1549150)
What about a different type of "magnetic" power? Perhaps a bit of a hybrid?

MAGNETIC MANIPULATION
Before Cosmic Boy or any other figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Cosmic Boy moves, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 15 or higher, you may place the figure on any empty space within 4 spaces of its current location. After the figure is placed, you may roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll 15 or higher, the thrown figure receives 1 wound. Thrown figures do not take any leaving engagement attacks.

I am fine with that although I would like to see the roll to be able to throw come down. I personally would say he would do more moving then Magneto as CB is less inclined to use his power as a weapon unlike Magneto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1549167)
I wasn't really thinking about that level fine tuned perfection for the suggestion, just trying to gauge how people feel about the concept in general.

Although, it should be stated that this guy at his best could easily rival Magneto at his best, there just happens to be much more reading material on Magneto, so that along with the X-men movies makes this guy look obscure (which he kinda is, even to DC fans who don't read Legionnaire).

Exactly. A major misconception about the Legionnaires is because they have boy & girl at the end of their name they aren't powerful, when in fact they are & they would rival a lot of the big & better known names. In one story line the Legion rejected Superboy for not being powerful enough. I also believe that I lot of other superheroes (in both universes) were modelled on them.

Griffin January 25th, 2012 10:24 AM

To that last question from Bats, Yes.

Griffin January 25th, 2012 10:25 AM

A3n, if you like the power, feel free to adjust the rolls or mechanics how you like. I was just tossing the concept around. I trust you will bring this guy home. :D

IAmBatman January 25th, 2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin (Post 1549211)
To that last question from Bats, Yes.

Cool. Just making sure I understood it fully. Since I got it on the first try, I'm happy with those mechanics. :-)

And I'm all for lowering the roll to make the throw here, A3n. Probably significantly (5+ even?). Keeping the damage roll at 15+ will more than keep him in check.

Griffin January 25th, 2012 07:17 PM

One thing I thought of that is a tad confusing and we would need to word to get around is something in a mirror test:

IamBatman is playing with Batman.

A3n is playing with Cosmic Boy.

Griffin is playing with Cosmic Boy.

Batman attempts to move.

Cosmic Boy I and Cosmic Boy II want to redirect his movement before Batman moves. So they both roll D20s to see who goes first.

Cosmic Boy I wins and attempts to throw Batman and succeeds, but as soon as he attempts to actually move/throw him, Cosmic Boy II rolls and succeeds in redirecting that movement.

Cosmic Boy II now goes to move/throw Batman, and then Cosmic Boy I intercedes and takes over again. and again... and again... and again... and again...

IAmBatman January 25th, 2012 07:30 PM

Hmm ... good call. Not sure how to avoid that under the current mechanics.

Hahma January 26th, 2012 07:46 AM

Graviton is about as powerful as it gets with throwing and he's 9+ to throw.

A3n January 26th, 2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahma (Post 1549734)
Graviton is about as powerful as it gets with throwing and he's 9+ to throw.

Ok with cosmic boy only throwing once (Graviton throws 3 times) would 9+ also be ok for CB?