Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Other Customization & HS Additions (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Heroscape, Spells and Runes (1.2.0 Update 03/14/15) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=49857)

G1shark January 31st, 2014 10:33 PM

Heroscape, Spells and Runes (1.2.0 Update 03/14/15)

03/14/2015, 1.2.0

Special Announcement!

It has been just over a year when the Spells & Runes Project was created and in that year a lot of play testing and resign has taken place, thank you to all those that helped to mold this project into shape. In celibration I am planning to announce 2 future contests involving creating a Spell or Rune Card, This will be announced around the time of the release of Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers later this year. I also have some Rewards that will be given for who can come up with the best Cards. One such prize will be a free copy of Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers.

Here the File Templates in PSD format, that will allow anyone to create a Spell or Rune card, I hope all enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3p526j3l5e...lates.zip?dl=0

For PNG format

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0mdqc4oum...s_PNG.rar?dl=0

Feel Free to Post your own Designs or make your own thread about The Spells and Runes Project.

Older Update Log
Spoiler Alert!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ive been trying to come up with some ideas on Spells for some time, I have posted in my custom figure thread awhile back some of these ideas, however i've made quite a few modifications and changes to the original post. I would love feedback, Input, Suggestions, and even play testing if you have time or are interested in this project, I truly feel it would give a mechanic to the game especially with fillers for Armies.

Rules:

Spells require a Order Marker to activate them and must be added to an army before the start of the game with points much like Heroscape squads and heroes. Spell will dictate when they can be played and how, also when they are removed from the game. (Spells are inspired by MTG: Sorcery)

Runes do not require Order Marker Activation, but still require points before game play. Normally Runes will start at the begging of the game, and end when the game ends. (Runes are inspired by MTG: Enchantments)

Additional
- All Spells and Runes use what is considered Special Powers, and thus can be subject to abilities that target special powers from Army Cards.
- If you still have a Spell or Rune Card in the game after you've run out of figures, you still will loose the game, basic rules of Heroscape still apply unless specified otherwise.
- Spell and Rune Cards from any general can be drafted for any army just like Squads and Heroes.

Playtesting has been currently postponed due to mechanics of some of the cards and point values. Individual cards will be submitted ready for play testing here, once approved.

I've come up with a basis also for each armies general, like all things these are tendencies and not fixed, so some generals can sway one way or another as long as it fits their orignal heroscape themes.

Utgar - Horde, Attack
Jandar - Personas, Defense
Ullar - Speed, Movement
Vydar - Stealth, Range
Einar - Bonding, D20 Rolls
Aquilla - Terrian, Specials
Valkrill - Uncommons ,Tokens
Myvra - Spells and Runes, Order Markers
(I feel Valkrill's introduction into heroscape brought us Uncommon Heroes and more tokens, Spells would be Myvra's main area and thus would have more than other generals. I had chosen Myvra because she is the most popular customed general, while I do not feel steampunk is enough to define her, as Vydar's Cyberpunk theme is shared with Utgar and Jandar. However a new mechanic certainly would help in that aspect.)

(Pictures are full size for Download)
Spoiler Alert!

Again this is just for custom use, not official. If you enjoy this idea, it could make for some very fun custom games.

If you are interested in helping with this project, please pm me and I will add your name to the list.

Heroscape Spells & Runes members list
G1shark
qt. bangerang
Elvenwizard9

qt.bangerang February 1st, 2014 12:09 AM

Re: Heroscape, Spells and Runes

I really like this idea a lot and think it is a great idea. Testing will be difficult. I have a few questions though:
1. Can I take an Aquilla spell if I have no Aquilla units?
2. Why do the Marro have there own cards?
3. Who is Sul-Toh-Ra and Tasumi?

G1shark February 1st, 2014 01:49 AM

Yeah, I haven't had time to test them yet, I will start on 2/3/14, I have a big College test this Sunday, that's pretty much the reason for the delay. Testing should be difficult at first, but I think once the first couple of runes and spells are worked out the rest will be a little easier.

1. Yes, you can take any card for any general to work in any army, just like you would with squads or heroes.

2. Well, the story I had was that the Marro splinter off from Utgar shortly after the events of Swarm of the Marro, me and my brother came up with this change, so it's not something we have to incorporate, but can. Basically they left for reasons of Utgar leaving the Marro Hives exposed to the alliances forces. The result was that the Marro Geneforged an artificial Marro Valkyrie named Sul-Toh-Ra and turned on Utgar's Forces.
Sul-Toh-Ra's themes are: Swarm, Flexability

3. Tasumi the Silent is a place holder built around the idea of sight, he is not a general and thus has no units, He's more a idea that may not make the final cut. Also Tasumi and Sul-Toh-Ra do not have a Hex around their symbols, this is because they are not Kyrie.

The main reason I thought about Spells and Runes is to give the presence of a Valkyrie without actually having a figure for one. I don't like the idea of a Valkyrie entering a battle, but there presence should certainly be felt.

I also added quotes from Thormuns journal and the Hasbro Cartoon for cards like Aquilla, Jandar, Ullar, Vydar, and Einar.
The others where guess work such as Utgars, Valkrill, Myvra, Sul-Toh-Ra, and Tasumi

caps February 1st, 2014 01:51 AM

Very cool idea.

G1shark February 1st, 2014 03:48 PM

Ive done a few updates recently that I noticed last night and dismorning that need to be fixed, I also lowered all costs of spells sense they require use of a order marker for activation (not the X-order marker)

For play testing monday, I was thinking if you would like to participate, please list 12 Spell/Runes you wouldn't mind trying, after some people have posted, the most popular 9 will be selected and play tested 3-5 times.

ZBeeblebrox February 1st, 2014 04:28 PM

Re: Heroscape, Spells and Runes (1.1.2 Update 02/01/14)

Lots of good stuff here. may have to incorporate some into New Valhalla some day.

Thanks for sharing.

Taeblewalker February 1st, 2014 04:29 PM

I like what you're doing here. It could be a great addition to Scape.

G1shark February 1st, 2014 04:50 PM

Thank you Taeblewalker, Zbeeblebrox, capsocrates, and qt.bangerang this definitely different than projects I've worked on in the past, like with custom figures and terrain pieces I built, those for just my game board. However this is different, its a new mechanic in the game and a new addition that anyone can have or use, so it's a bit more challenging, but more morally rewarding.

After 9 cards are "finished" so that we can have a basis to look at, I will upload all the blanks so that way anyone can make their own rune or spell cards. I just want something everyone can use as a reference when designing a Spell or Rune Card before I give out blanks.

betawolf36 February 1st, 2014 05:37 PM

One thing that would be cool would be to have a 500pt regular army, and then a 100-250pt spell "army".
I've been designing some Valkyrie customs of my own, and the "General" :rimshot: theme is fairly similar to these Spells and Runes.

IshMEL February 1st, 2014 05:40 PM

Great ideas, and great artwork on these!

A layout suggestion (not essential, take it or leave it) -- put the point value on the right side (in the same spot as an Army Card) and make it larger and bolder. Put the flavor quote on the left side where the points are now. This will make it easier to use since we're used to looking there for point values.

G1shark February 1st, 2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Post by betawolf36's
One thing that would be cool would be to have a 500pt regular army, and then a 100-250pt spell "army".
I've been designing some Valkyrie customs of my own, and the "General" theme is fairly similar to these Spells and Runes.
I think most of them are pretty standard, but Einar being the orignal 5, while their is no purple on cards, the only other moving thing is a 20-sided die, so makes sense for him to be in-charge of that mechanic. Aquilla added variety and large new special abilities like overhangs. Valkrill's appearence gave us uncommon heros, and Myvra being a popular charactor was the reason I selected her for Spells.

Sure you can have a additional points for specifically spells, this mechanic allows for that or incorporation to a large army. for example:

500 Points for Army Cards and Spells/Runes
or you could have a custom game for
500 Points for Army Cards and 100 additional Points for Spells/Runes only
The choice is yours, and your imagination endless.

Quote:

post by IshMEL
Great ideas, and great artwork on these!

A layout suggestion (not essential, take it or leave it) -- put the point value on the right side (in the same spot as an Army Card) and make it larger and bolder. Put the flavor quote on the left side where the points are now. This will make it easier to use since we're used to looking there for point values.
Thank you!, I've added the orignal and 2 additional versions to be voted on, I'm also going to push back the Play Test date to 2/8/14, to give time for more general discussion before we try play testing.

http://i61.tinypic.com/t567pl.jpg

betawolf36 February 1st, 2014 06:38 PM

Is it possible for the white to curve into the points area for version 2? If so, is it at all possible to have the little stacks of coins around the points, similar to the official cards?
Next I'd say version #1, then the original.

Unless the curve isn't possible, in that case V1, Orig, V2.