Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Official Units (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Book of Spartacus (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=8601)

Oyhedwig October 7th, 2008 06:27 PM

Re: The Book of Spartacus

I really like that army with the Ashigaru. I always found when trying to build an army with the gladiators, finding some decent ranged units that will still fit in with a 500 point army was very hard to do. I mean, just two squads of the Ashigaru isn't much, but it's something. I think I might give that a go next time I game.

mccombju October 7th, 2008 07:28 PM

Cool army, B.I.V. I like the squads for the 4 activations per turn and ranged options they provide. I guess you could also have 2x Stingers if you wanted instead.

Likewise, TexMex, I think you are on to something here! Captain America is a beast, and he can boost all of the Gladiators while adding a ranged "triple" attack. As a 6 defense counter-strike figure with 5 life, he will be difficult to take down, aswell.

The B.I.V. October 9th, 2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mccombju (Post 685442)
Cool army, B.I.V. I like the squads for the 4 activations per turn and ranged options they provide. I guess you could also have 2x Stingers if you wanted instead.

True. 2x Stingers might be even better. I prefer themed armys, though...

Quote:

Likewise, TexMex, I think you are on to something here! Captain America is a beast, and he can boost all of the Gladiators while adding a ranged "triple" attack. As a 6 defense counter-strike figure with 5 life, he will be difficult to take down, aswell.

It's a tough bunch but I tend to shy away from all-hero armies...it's like putting all your eggs in one basket...

Brandon

Tai-Pan October 9th, 2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The B.I.V. (Post 686322)
It's a tough bunch but I tend to shy away from all-hero armies...it's like putting all your eggs in one basket...

(Enter Braxas)

TexMex October 9th, 2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The B.I.V. (Post 686322)
Quote:

Brandon

Thanks for both your comments, guys. I thought about the "eggs in one basket" aspect, but I think I gonna try anyway. I haven't had much luck with balancing squads and heroes, and the less Order Marker thinking I have to do, the better:oops:

pinche_guey October 9th, 2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexMex (Post 686382)
Thanks for both your comments, guys. I thought about the "eggs in one basket" aspect, but I think I gonna try anyway. I haven't had much luck with balancing squads and heroes, and the less Order Marker thinking I have to do, the better:oops:

TexMex,
My recommendation to you is to look into an army that has a more significant range component than you have had in the past, plus some melee screeners or support. While the gladiator army is fun to play, and has more utility in a larger game of 600 points, it won't stand up well to major Q9 with rats or a lump of 4th Mass. The problem with the samurai is the requisite need for adjacency, and ineffectiveness of counter strike against special attacks. I wish you could come to some more game nights where themed and fun armies can do well.

Mrs. Texmex' elf army is another story altogether.

As said time and time again, we need more gladiators. Whether as a squad (popular) or some spearchucking common heroes, wave 9 hopefully won't let us down.

gorthan313 November 1st, 2008 03:07 PM

I really don't understand why a lot of people don't like this guy! I mean, using his bonus, Crixus was able to take down the Q brothers, and hardly took a wound because of Sparty's enhancement!

StarofEarendil November 4th, 2008 07:49 AM

I would like to say here that of all the Heroscape heroes, only Spartacus, Crixus, and maybe Marcus are actual historical figures.

Around 72 BC, Spartacus led a revolt against Rome. He quickly rallied support from all parts of Italy, gathering a large force. Crixus was one of his "generals", but later left. After Crixus left Spartacus, both ended up defeated finally by Marcus Crassus.

Just my :2cents:

killercactus November 4th, 2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarofEarendil (Post 702206)
I would like to say here that of all the Heroscape heroes, only Spartacus, Crixus, and maybe Marcus are actual historical figures.

Around 72 BC, Spartacus led a revolt against Rome. He quickly rallied support from all parts of Italy, gathering a large force. Crixus was one of his "generals", but later left. After Crixus left Spartacus, both ended up defeated finally by Marcus Crassus.

Wow - that sucks. I was really sure I'd read about the Venoc Warlord and his Gigantic Mittens of Doom.... I was gonna read the bedtime story to my kids. ;)

In all seriousness, I believe you're right. I think someone did a search on Retarius one time and found something, but not an actual "historical figure."

And, when I do have kids, I am SOOOO writing a bedtime story about the Venoc Warlord.

hi1hi1hi1hi1 November 4th, 2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killercactus (Post 702223)
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarofEarendil (Post 702206)

Wow - that sucks. I was really sure I'd read about the Venoc Warlord and his Gigantic Mittens of Doom.... I was gonna read the bedtime story to my kids. ;)

In all seriousness, I believe you're right. I think someone did a search on Retarius one time and found something, but not an actual "historical figure."

And, when I do have kids, I am SOOOO writing a bedtime story about the Venoc Warlord.

Retiarius is a type of Roman gladiator. Not a specific person, but it was the name given to gladiators who fought with a net and no armor. I think, it's been awhile since I looked it up.

Revdyer November 4th, 2008 09:16 AM

Parmenio was a real historical person, too. He served as a general for Phillip II of Macedon and his somewhat famous son, Alexander.

nyys November 4th, 2008 09:17 AM

Yep, from Dictionary.com.

Retiarius a gladiator equipped with a net for casting over his opponent.