View Full Version : 20 Favorite Traps
May 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM
So for traps in home games, I decided to have 20 traps each assigned a number, and then roll a 20-sided die each time you set off a trap to see which trap you get. I looked at the ones in A Collection of Ideas and Aldin’s Traps of Terror as well as some I came up with on my own and whittled down my favorite ones. I also made sure I had a mixture of wound, move/teleport, turn/order, stat changing, and miscellaneous traps.
So, if you had to pick 20 traps, which would they be?
May 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
# Type Title Trap
1 Move Bereft Your opponent may move the figure which sprung the trap 4 spaces. The figure does not roll for disengagement.
2 Move Binding The figure on this glyph cannot move from that space unless there is an adjacent friendly figure.
3 Move Reset Return the figure that sprung the trap to any empty hex of the opponents choice, in its controllers start zone.
4 Move Teleport Switch Pick an opponent who may switch any one of his or your figures with the figure that set off the trap. Neither figure rolls for disengagement.
5 Stat 2-edged Trap Negate all special abilities. Add 1 to the Defense, Attack, and Move.
6 Stat Curse Treasure Treasure has the reverse affect (-1 attack/defense, immediate 3 wounds) and can not be droped until the hero is destroyed.
7 Stat Reversal For the rest of the game, this figure's attack value and defense value listed on this card are switched.
8 Stat Uppers/Downers Pick an opponent who will chose whether your Attack or Defense value is decreased by one and the other is increased by one.
9 Turn Betrayal trap Pick an opponent who may immediately take one turn with this figure.
10 Turn Naked Trap You must play the remainder of the round showing all of your unrevealed order markers.
11 Turn Muddle Trap Your opponents may (without looking at numbers) rearrange your order markers.
12 Turn Loose a Turn Your opponent may remove one of your unrevealed order marker. If there is none, you loose turn 1 the next round.
13 Wound Poison Automatically adds 1 unblockable wound to the affected figure's card.
15 Wound Poison Darts Roll 1 attack die. If a skull is rolled, add 1 wound and roll the die again. Continue rolling until a skull is not rolled.
14 Wound Poison Spikes Roll 2 attack dice and take 1 unblockable hit for each skull rolled.
16 Wound Poison Arrow Roll 3 attack dice, rolled by the opponent. Roll you normal defense and take the number of excess skulls as wounds.
17 Wound Hit Yourself Roll the number of your normal attack. Roll your normal defense and take the number of excess skulls as wounds.
18 Other Bad luck The player controlling the figure that activates this trap has a -1 to any 20-sided die rolls for the remainder of the game.
19 Other Glyph Switch Choose an opponent who chooses a glyph this one is switched with. The switched glyph may be unrevealed, revealed but on the board, or carried by a hero, but you may not reveal the treasure glyph before switching.
20 Other Illusion Trap The treasure is just an illusion. Remove the treasure glyph from the board.
4 Stat Altering
4 Turn/Order Marker
May 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Some nice ideas! I'll put dowm what I can think of off the top of my head...
1. Giant stone trap: Roll 20d. If a 1-8 is rolled, destroy figure.
2. Acid Breath trap: Enacts Braxas' acid breath on all figs within reach.
3. Intercept order: Ends your turn immedeately.
4. Pitfall trap: Figure falls into next room and cannot do anything until liberated.
5. Fatal wound trap. Inflicts 2 fatal wounds that cannot be normally healed.
6. Shuriken trap: Roll 3 dice and inflict wounds on fig equal to number of skulls rolled.
7. Ice water trap. Roll 4 dice and inflict wounds onto fig equal to number of shields rolled.
8. Raw strength trap: Permenantly increases attack by 1 and negates abilities.
9. Summoning trap: Summons unfriendly squad next to fig or in next room.
10. Wind trap: None of your flying figures can fly.
11. Wound trap: Inflicts 2 wounds.
12. Mitonsoul trap: Inflicts massive curse effect onto your entire PoA.
13. Curse: Next 3 20d rolls are 1.
14. Poison: Inflicts 1 wound on fig each turn for three turns.
15. Tranquilizer darts: Lowers that figures move, attack, and defense by 2 for three turns.
16. Scrambler: Randomly place order markers next round (have the DM mix them up randomly).
17. Negation: Negates abilities.
18. Dagmar thunder trap: Paralyzes figure for 2 turns.
19. Scrambler II: Switches attack and defense stats for 5 turns.
20. Voodoo puppet: Place same fig next to affected figure (or proxy) until end of your next turn. Has special effect:
If your figure attacks that figure and inflicts any wounds, return those wounds back to the attacking figure. The second figure is a dead figure and does not attack, move, or take passing swipes (its a trick, after all)
May 4th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Nice thread. I plan on making an entry at some point but I just find it hard to narrow down only 20. I also usually pick traps based on the map or scenario I happen to be playing to try to make them fit with each other. Good idea though if it gets going people can use it as fun resource when they feel too lazy to pick from the master list or just don't have much experience with traps in general. This could be a quick way to jump right in.
May 9th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Can we get a list of 100 traps and use percentile dice?
May 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Gosh, I found it hard to make up 20 O.o
vBulletin® v3.6.9, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.